Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Media Overlay keeps reappearing

Media Overlay keeps reappearing

Me and many other people that I have seen on the Community have been faced with the same bug: the 'Show desktop overlay while using media keys' option on Spotify isn't working correctly. When I open Spotify, the client acts as if the option is checked, but in Preferences it is unchecked. Enabling and disabling the setting turns it off for that session, but upon closing and opening Spotify, the media overlay turns on again.

66 Replies

Still happens. I already perform a clean installation.

Spotify version: 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7
SO version: Windows 10 Pro x64

media_control_disabled.png

Spotify Version: 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

It would be really nice if you stopped this bug from reappearing. I'm no expert, but before an update rolls out, it wouldn't be that hard to test... It's really annoying to have to deal with this bug constantly.

Same here! Really annoying.

It opens also when I open Microsoft mail or Microsoft Calender or even the Windows settings!

Veriosn. 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Happens to me as well, very irritating. Bug occured after an update around 2-3 weeks ago.

Current Spotify version: 1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c

Only happens on Windows 10 Desktop

Spotify version: 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Device: Desktop PC

Spotify version: 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Overlay off in settings, still popping up.

Having the same problem. Version 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7
Please fix this, it's so annoying. The banner stays on screen too long and it covers up the screen, and if you mouse over it by accident, it stays on screen even longer. I just want to change the volume, I don't need extraneous information....... 

mediakeys.png

Hey there folks!

Thanks for keeping us up to speed regarding this. 

In this case, we'd recommend heading to this Ongoing Issue report and adding your +VOTE.

It'd be also helpful if you could leave a comment in that thread with the requested info so that we can pass it on to the right folks.

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I'm experiencing this as well. Exactly as described in the OP. Re-toggling the setting only lasts for the session. Should be an easy fix (just persisting the setting/reloading at startup or first read)

Windows 10 (Ver 1803) on Desktop

Spotify version 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Hi, I began having this problem about a week ago. It has the same description, in that I the media overlay turns on while the option is turned off, and I can turn off the media overlay again by turning on and off the option.

This issue is occurring on my desktop.

Spotify version: 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N

Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Same issue here on my end. The "Show desktop overlay when using media keys" toggle is disabled in desktop app/program settings and yet it still shows, upon a restart of the machine it shows up again (even after toggling on and off again). Only fix is to enable and disable it for that session. Super annoying. Should be a simple fix though, hopefully the devs can push out an update quickly.

This bug showed up for me a few months back and was fixed, now it's back again, time to call pest control.

O.S W10 Pro

1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Same issue here, very annoying! Not everyone wants to advertise in huge letters which music he is listening to, everytime a volume hotkey is pressed.

Spotify 1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

Same issue here! Annoying asf!

1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c

Same issue since about a month or so. There used to be a problem with older versions where the setting reset from time to time, but nothing like this. It's infuriating.

1.0.93.244.g1e3a05e7

I've got this too.  Can you sort it out please Spotify?

Those overlay keys are really annoying, pointless on the way I interact with Spotify and surely this is a simple bug to fix?

1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c

Just got a new update, still happening. Spotify version # 1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c

As others have mentioned, this ridiculous bug was reintroduced a while ago.

I just reinstalled whole Windows 10 Pro to the latest semi-annual channel build 17763 (aka 1809 October update) and installed latest Spotify version (1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c was offered to me by the server, it seems). And the bug is still very much here. I've been experiencing this for a few weeks now.

Still happening with the new update 😞

I had this issue months ago and it was resolved, but now it's back.

1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c

W10 Home 1803

Same problem. 

FIX THIS 

version 1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c

Suggested posts