Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Media keys being taken over by chrome tabs

Solved!

Media keys being taken over by chrome tabs

so this problem came up yesterday. I believe this was also the same day I updated chrome. Before yesterday i could use the media keys on my corsair k70 to pause and play songs no matter what i was doing. Now whenever have a tab (like youtube or twitch) my pause and play button automatically goes to that tab that was last opened (skip and backwards buttons still work on spotify only). I have looked into the problem for almost two days and thew only thing i find is google music taking the media keys. The only problem is that i don't even have that extension on my chrome. If anyone can help only set my media keys only to spotify or disable them from working on chrome in general that would be very helpful.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling

Paste into chrome, then choose disable from the drop down on the left of the highlighted text.

stolen from a different post, but it worked for me.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling

Paste into chrome, then choose disable from the drop down on the left of the highlighted text.

stolen from a different post, but it worked for me.

You're a gem sir, a proper hard fix

You're a true hero.

Thank you so much; you are my hero!

this guy proves that you don't need a cape to be a true hero

I have this disabled and it fixed this problem when playing from the Pandora website, but I am still getting the annoying pop up when I use the Spotify app. Anyone know if there are specific settings you have to change for Spotify specifically? 

Thanks!

The spotify overlay is a spotify specific selection - go to spotify preferences, scroll down to display options and uncheck "show overlay when using media keys"

Oddly, this solution is not working for me.

Any other ideas?

https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/1170021507654832128

Edit: Spotify restart did it for me. Odd.

One year later and this man is still saving lives thank you kind stranger now I can listen to sicko mode while eating my travvy patty with my media keys

Three years later, still saving lives. Thanks HammyTV you sir are a true legend 👏🏼

Suggested posts