NEXT STEP

Media keys overlay huge problem.

Media keys overlay huge problem.

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

"Menu > Edit > Preferences > and scroll down to view Display options.Disable the “show desktop overlay when using media keys” option (turns grey if disabled)."

I recently updated my Spotify and this option is just missing or doesn't work. I thought "Show desktop notifications when the songs changes" would disable this media keys overlay which causes me an overwhelming pain.

Can someone help me? Fix this. Huge problem.

6 Replies

Hi there @MisorWyvern

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. We'll do our best to help you sort this out.

Just to confirm, are you able to see this option in the app's Settings?

We'd recommend performing a clean reinstall off the app. This is different than simply reinstalling and can help clearing any cache that might be causing this behavior. 

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I performed a clean reinstall and yet I'm not able to see “show desktop overlay when using media keys” option.
"Show desktop notifications when the songs changes" does nothing about it too.

Hey @MisorWyvern

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

Also, would you mind logging in to the app on a different PC to check if the issue persists there?

Cheers - keep us in the loop!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Spotify: 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7-a
I don't have another PC to log in and check... Where should this option be located?

Hi @MisorWyvern,

Thanks for letting us know that.

It seems that you've got the New Desktop experience client, that's why you aren't seeing the option you mentioned.

You can leave your feedback on this in the New Desktop Experience Feedback thread. This information is passed straight to the developer team, who are trying to make the desktop app better.

If you have any questions, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey MisorWyvern,

There is a submission for the feature to disable the media overlay to be brought back:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Other-Return-the-option-to-hide-media-keys...

Please give this an upvote and tell your friends to do the same...

Suggested posts