Premium

Country

US

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi, Recently I fully factory reset my desktop. After fully resetting my desktop, I re-downloaded Spotify from Google Chrome. After installing Spotify, I realized that after 10-15 mins or so the application would completely close. I'd open it again and the problem would repeat itself. I checked the forums to see if anyone else was having the issue, and followed the Troubleshooting tab, and did everything it told me to do (Download the Spotify off of the Windows store, fully delete and reinstall Spotify, Clear the cache in Spotify. etc) But nothing worked. Still having the same issue and this started a few weeks ago.

10 Replies

Hi there @mylz,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Just to confirm, did you follow these steps when you reinstalled the app? 

We also suggest that you make sure that you have enough storage space on your device.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'm having the same issue here in the UK, running Spotify (Premium) desktop on Win 10. App crashes out without warning after 10-15 minutes playback. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, including a full clean out of the AppData folders, and the issue still persists. This only started happening with the most recent update.

Hi there @otismcredding,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you let us know if the issue persist if you try with another internet connection?

Also, do you experience the same with different devices?

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I figured it out - there is some sort of bug that meant Spotify was
scanning my HDDs to look for local files, even though in the app settings
this was disabled. I enabled scanning for local files, and then disabled it
again (as well as each individual folder location) and Spotify is now
running smoothly again.

Hey @otismcredding

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know that.

We're glad to hear that now it's working fine. Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help.

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I'm still having the same issue. I clean uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled it on Web browser, still was crashing then I clean uninstalled it again and installed it on Windows Store and the app is still crashing.

I even tried to do what helped the guy that also commented on this thread and even that didn't work. I'm so confused about what it could be.

Hey @mylz,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

Could you try running the app as an administrator to check if anything changes?

It's also a good idea to reinstall the app in a safe mode. Does the issue persist?

You can also send us a video recording of the issue. We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Even running as administrator doesn't work. Recording the issue is kinda hard because it'd be a 5-minute video of Spotify being open and then just randomly closing. Even in the task manager, it's gone. I haven't tried safe mode mainly because if it does end up working, it doesn't give me a long-term solution as I can't constantly run my computer in safe mode to have Spotify open.

Hey @mylz,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. If a problem doesn't happen in safe mode, this means that default settings and basic device drivers aren't causing the issue. Rather than a solution, we suggest starting the PC in safe mode as it helps us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

On another note and just to confirm, when you toggled the option Local Files on, did you make sure to toggle off all the sources that appeared there, and then toggled Local Files back off?

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts