Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No sound in Windows Spotify desktop application

No sound in Windows Spotify desktop application

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd gen

Operating System

Windows 10 Enterprise (build 1903)

My Question or Issue

Since a few days the Spotify desktop application is not making any sounds. I am a technical guy so ruled out the obvious stuff:
-All other apps and websites play sound perfectly.
-Reinstalled Spotify.
-Rebooted the device a few times.
-Sound is not muted in Spotify.
-Spotify doesn't play on another device.
-Sound drivers are fully up to date.

If I play Spotify via the web and use my desktop application as a remote, it works. However after a few days this "workaround" is getting a bit frustrating. Any tips are highly appreciated.

4 Replies

Hey there @denhog1990,

thanks for posting !

Please make sure the audio interface or soundcard you're using is set as your default device and that Spotify is aligned with it :

- Right-click on the speaker icon on Taskbar, click on Playback Devices.
- Highlight the device you're using and set it as Default. Click OK.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi, 

This didn't work. Tried it as well earlier. Any other ideas?

Hey @denhog1990,

thanks for the update !

Are using more the one audio output on your device ?

When you're using Spotify on other devices are you experiencing the same issues ?

I am using multiple devices but everything works as expected, so via the docking I have external speakers. All applications and websites work via the speakers except the Spotify application. If I switch to laptop sound and disattach from the docking the sound is coming out of the laptop. Again, everything works except for Spotify.

If I check the device output I can clearly see that the default is the docking speakers and Spotify using this. It always worked, but suddenly stopped a few days ago... As far as I can see there are no specific settings in Spotify in which you can check or force the output device. This is so weird...

Suggested posts