Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

HP Elitebook x360 / Dell U2410 LCD monitor (with speakers) via HDMI connected
Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue:

Since a few days (after one of the recent app updates?), Spotify does not play sound anymore (it always worked perfectly fine) when playing through HDMI on the speakers of my LCD monitor. It plays but stays silent. No errors. If I play audio from other sources (YouTube / local mp3's etc) through HDMI it works just fine. This means playing audio through HDMI is working for all apps except Spotify.

When I choose the laptop as audio device Spotify does play the sound normally.

It looks like when the laptop is connected through HDMI and is chosen as audio device, Spotify does not forward the sound somehow..

What I've tried so far:
- changing HDMI cable
- reboot Windows
- reinstall Spotify
- checked all audio settings
- reinstall audio drivers
- play around with switching between audio devices (laptop / lcd via hdmi) while Spotify is open and closed (normally I could switch audio device on the fly while Spotify is open)

Anyone any ideas? Thanks!:)

6 Replies

Hi there @bhageman01,

thanks for reaching out about this !

There's an ongoing issue under investigation regarding the same matter.

Please make sure to add your +VOTE and subscribe to the idea in order to get updated on any changes made.

Have a great weekend 🙂

Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear it's a known issue and they're looking into it already.

If I can deliver any additional input / materials to help the guys troubleshooting they can always reach out to me

Hi @OneByBoo,

Must be a very complex issue since it's still not possible to play sound from Spotify via HDMI...;) All other sound producing program's on my laptop are working just fine. 

Any thoughts, updates, ideas about this? Anyone else experiencing the same behavior? It there maybe some other place where I can submit the issue? Git? 

Hi @bhageman01,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Can you try going to:

Control Panel > Sound and make sure your speakers are selected as the default sound device, and not the HDMI output since Spotify will always use the default one? 

If that doesn't make a difference try downloading the app from the Microsoft store

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Alex,

Thanks for your quick response and tips.

I've reinstalled Spotify from the Microsoft Store. Same problem persisted.

Then I started paying around with the default audio settings. And I just got it working!

Solution:

Somewhere down the line I ended up in a screen where you can set 'app specific' sound settings for input and output. Spotify was actually already set to 'Default' (Standaardinstelling in Dutch), see image. But I changed it to another, and then changed it back to 'Default' and finally it started working. Maybe Windows had a little bit of corruption going on in it's settings? Don't know. But this little trick did it!

Thanks for thinking along!:)

soundsettings.png

Hey @bhageman01,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're happy to hear you found a working solution. It would indeed seem like some of the Windows settings files had gotten corrupted. If this continues to happen with Spotify or other apps, you might need to reinstall your OS to get a clean start.

Keep us posted if anything else comes up. We're one reply away 🙂

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts