Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ongoing issues with Spotify desktop app

Ongoing issues with Spotify desktop app

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

MAINGEAR Laptop

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue

I have been using the Spotify desktop app for a while. Since sometime last year, I've been having a repeated issue where sometimes if I hit play on a song from a playlist or my liked songs, it won't play and the bottom bar grays out and I can't do anything. If I close Spotify (and this happens still even when I close it via task manager) I can't open it again without a "Spotify application is not responding" error. I can only open Spotify again after I restart my computer. This doesn't just happen if I hit play on a song from a playlist/song list, it can happen at any other random time. Sometimes a song will play out but it won't go to the next song and I have to restart my computer. Other times a song will be playing, and I can't click anything else on the desktop app, and even when I close Spotify the song continues to play until I restart my computer.

Basically, I've been experiencing a number of bugs with the app that ends with me completely closing out of Spotify and being unable to open it again. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, doing a clean reset/reinstall, updating it when need be, deleting files and recovering them etc, but this is a bug that just seems to never go away. It just happens increasingly more often until I have to just use the browser version, which is fine, but I have a lot of downloaded songs I can't listen to unless I use the web app.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue or knows how to fix it. Thank you!

1 Reply

Hey @libbzies,

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

This type of issue is usually related to some damaged cache stored on your device from previous versions.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, but to be sure that we're on the same page - did you use these steps for a clean reinstall? They are more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If so, and the issue persists, it's possible that you need to perform a deeper cleaning of the files. In this case, we'd recommend you clear any entries which contain the Spotify name from the host files on your computer. To do so, just follow the instructions in this post.

Lastly, to keep investigating your case, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts