PC and Android will not sync to each other

Plan

Premium

Device

Lenovo Thinkpad, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Operating System

Windows 10, Android 12

My Issue

I first noticed this issue on October 18, 2021. I am unable to sync my phone and my PC local files with each other - the download shows as complete, but local songs on the other device are greyed out with an exclamation mark instead of a download symbol. I reinstalled on both devices and noticed that any files I had uploaded on my PC before October 18th will still sync, but I had nothing uploaded from my phone before then to test. I am not at the download limit. Some thing I have tried are:

- Adding exceptions to firewall

- Using a hotspot

- Going on offline mode for 10 minutes on both and then coming back online

When I connect to my phone in the app and try to play a file from my phone on PC I get the message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @smallgremlin,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

We understand you're experiencing issues with syncing your local files across your devices. First off, it's worthwhile restarting the app twice in a row. This may sound odd but it's how the app does a refresh. Check if this will shake things up and enable the synchronization to happen.

If the above does not help, another thing that you could try is to relocate the local files into a different folder on your PC and then to resync this new folder with the app, as this might help resolve any cached related issues. See if this makes a difference for you. Also if there are any pending firmware updates for any of your devices, it's a good idea to run those too.

And if none of our suggestions helps, then please report back to us with a short video of the situation and what versions of Spotify you have on your mobile and desktop devices currently? This info will help us to take a closer look at what's going on at your end and to provide you with a better advice.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @smallgremlin,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

We understand you're experiencing issues with syncing your local files across your devices. First off, it's worthwhile restarting the app twice in a row. This may sound odd but it's how the app does a refresh. Check if this will shake things up and enable the synchronization to happen.

If the above does not help, another thing that you could try is to relocate the local files into a different folder on your PC and then to resync this new folder with the app, as this might help resolve any cached related issues. See if this makes a difference for you. Also if there are any pending firmware updates for any of your devices, it's a good idea to run those too.

And if none of our suggestions helps, then please report back to us with a short video of the situation and what versions of Spotify you have on your mobile and desktop devices currently? This info will help us to take a closer look at what's going on at your end and to provide you with a better advice.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator

Thank you - restarting twice in a row worked. Also, some of my downloaded music on PC had been deleted, so everything is now fixed.

Hey @smallgremlin,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is working fine now.

Remember to always keep your app updated, so you don't miss any fixes or new features. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

MafeGModerator

Suggested posts