Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playing a song plays my local files instead

Solved!

Playing a song plays my local files instead

I have created a playlist by right-clicking an album title and then choosing "Add to..." / "New Playlist".

In my local files there are live versions of the tracks on the album.

Playing this playlist plays the live version from my local files instead of the album version which I intended to play.

I always want to play the "Spotify version" of song unless I go into local files and select a track there.

I'm using desktop Spotify on Win7.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there!

Had the same problem once. I take it you searched for the album and clicked on that album link then.

I think Spotify first lists your local albums (you can see it at the popularity bar - it got 0 stripes) and then the Spotify result.

What you can do is, click on the artist link and add the album/songs directly from the artist page. That will get you the Spotify version.

Edit: Just tried it and I think you need to even do 1 more step. Go to local files - choose the songs that you don't want to hear in playlists and right click - Unlink Track. Tell me how it worked for you! 🙂

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there!

Had the same problem once. I take it you searched for the album and clicked on that album link then.

I think Spotify first lists your local albums (you can see it at the popularity bar - it got 0 stripes) and then the Spotify result.

What you can do is, click on the artist link and add the album/songs directly from the artist page. That will get you the Spotify version.

Edit: Just tried it and I think you need to even do 1 more step. Go to local files - choose the songs that you don't want to hear in playlists and right click - Unlink Track. Tell me how it worked for you! 🙂

I have a ton of local tracks, and I see absolutely ZERO benefit it having ANY of them linked.

@Rollo_ wrote:

I have a ton of local tracks, and I see absolutely ZERO benefit it having ANY of them linked.

Well, me neither. That's why I unlinked all at once (Ctrl+A - Unlink track).

But only because I'm using Equalify as equalizer and it tends to distort my local tracks for whatever reason.

(Edit: After an awesome support from the Equalify developper I've figured out it's due to my own mp3s, where I used a program to adjust the volume level. Activating the "Limiter" on Equalify fixed the issue and plays them without distortion again - yay!)

The only thing that is a bit annoying now is, that if you browse the local files the artist/album links don't work anymore.

Thank you, going to local files, selecting all and then unlinking the tracks seemed to have worked.

You may find it useful to try selecting all in your local files list (Ctrl+A), then right-clicking and selecting Unlink Track. This will do everything all at once. 🙂

EDIT: just got further down the page and saw this had already been suggested. Don't seem to be able to delete this reply 😕

Thanks.   I've had that issue for ages but going to Local Files and selecting 'unlink track' worked.

Cheers

Tommy Cockles

Suggested posts