Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist Details Not Saving

Solved!

Playlist Details Not Saving

I've seen other threads from people with similar problems, but they've all been closed due to inactivity. I'd like to bring this problem back up because it's getting rather annoying.

Whenever I modify one of my existing playlists, by changing its title or description, it doesn't save correctly or something. The changes will stay around as long as I have the desktop app open, but if I close the app and reopen it, all the changes revert back to their original values.

For example, I made a playlist with a description of "[Incomplete]" when I was working on it. A few days later, I completed my playlist so I changed the description to "Open for suggestions of songs to add". I closed spotify, reopened it, and the description was back to "[Incomplete]" like it didn't save at all. This same thing happens with the title of playlists.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a legitimate bug?

39 Replies

Hey again @asashane,

Thanks for keeping us posted. Great troubleshooting so far!

Could you let us know if the issue occurs on all playlists on the desktop app?
Does it persist if you open up the Spotify web player as well?

We'd like to also suggest doing the following two times in a row:

1. Log out of Spotify.
  2. Restart the device.
  3. Log back in.

We'll be on the lookout for your response. Let us know if you have any further questions in the meantime!

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

My description is not saving 😑

Hey there @Kanishka3,

We appreciate you joining the discussion!

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps listed in this thread you've tried so far?

Also keep in mind, that downloading a Playlist after updating its name forces the new information to sync.
This could ease your troubles, albeit it being a workaround at the moment.

We'll be on the lookout for your response.
Many thanks.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

Sorry about not responding for a while. I kind of forgot about this and when I went to make changes to the playlist I remembered that it did not work so now I'm back. To answer your questions: Yes it does apply to all my playlist I cannot make changes to any of them, No making changes on the web player does not work although it does not give me an error and when I click to enter, the menu disappears where I was entering my changes ( such as the title or the description) with no changes being made to the actual playlist. I tried logging out, restating my computer and then logging back in but it continued to not work. Where should I go from here?

Hey @asashane,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear that this is still happening. 

Can you try creating a free account for test purposes, log in with that and check if changes to any playlists you make are saving and updating across your devices.

Keep us posted on this 🙂

AlexModerator

Hello again,

Sorry about the delay but I did make a new free account and I was able to make changes to the playlist name and even be able to change the photo of the playlist. I then also signed in on my phone as was able to make changes and see them change quite fast on my computer. I though for sure I would have to quit the app on my computer to see the changes but no I saw them as soon as I made them. Im hopeful that this was helpful but additionally I discovered another problem. So remember how I said that I could actually make changes to the names of my playlist on my phone. Well luckily that still works however I discovered that I am unable to change the pictures which is very weird. I'm wondering if it has to do with me having imported those photos from my computer? but I removed the photo (which worked) and then tried to import a photo from my phone but all it would do is change to the original photo! This whole thing has been very weird so I hope this information points us in the right direction at least.

Hey so im not sure whats up because you guys usually respond a lot sooner, but its been a couple days so I am just sending another message hopefully you receive this one because I would really like to get to the bottom of this problem.

Hi @asashane,

Sorry for the late reply, we just came by this post.

Could you try changing the the playlist's cover from another device (for example, your computer) or from the Web Player to see if that does the trick? If you're able to change the cover, but it doesn't reflect on the mobile app on your phone, try the following:

1. Set the app on your phone to Offline Mode from the app's settings and restart Spotify.
  2. Now turn off Offline Mode and restart the app once again. This will force a resync of your library.

Keep us posted. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Unfortunately I am unable to make any changes to my playlist period. Like I can not change the playlist cover, name, or add anything to the description. All that pops up is an error message that says, " Failed to save playlist changes. Please try again." Which is the problem I have trying to fix this entire time. Do you think that it has to do with something about my account because I was able to make changes when I made a free account.

Hey @asashane,

Thanks for the replies and the help in the investigation.

Could you let us know if the issue happens over mobile data, WiFi, or both? Also - can you try using a different connection to see if that makes a difference?

Is it a particular playlist you're having issues with? Do you mind posting a link to it?

We'll be on the look for your reply,

Cheers!

DianModerator

So I tried making changes on both and it was being really weird with me. When I tried not on wifi, it would not change the playlist picture entirely. Without wifi, this is no different and if anything it changes for a split second and then reverts to the original image, and that's not even the weird part. I tried to remove the original image and then add a new one and surprisingly I am able to remove the image. Only on my phone. When I looked on my computer to see if it linked it was still the same. So I ignored it a proceeded with my experiment. But when I tried to add a brand new picture to the album it would change again for a split second then it changed to the photo I removed in the first place! I tried this with multiple playlists and still had the same results! I really do not know what to do but here is a link to one of my playlists - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1EGQGGxUIl3Afn7YZO73U6  hopefully this helps. And thanks again for sticking with me through this whole ordeal. 

Heyy @asashane!

Thanks for keeping us posted.
To me it looks more and more as if the playlist has been reported and because of this you're getting these errors.
If this is so, you should've received an email informing you about this and what you can do next.
Would you mind checking and letting us know :?
Thanks!

VasilModerator

This is 100% the problem. I received an email a couple of months back and read it, but I did not respond to it because I thought it was a scam trying to obtain my information. I am really mad at myself that I did not connect the dots sooner. Just to confirm I can still obtain the rights to make changes to my playlist correct? Because it says it was revoked becasue I never responded to the email and now my ability to post content had been removed. I really did not mean to cause any trouble I just was confused with the email in general and thought it was trying to scam me with all the information it was asking. Is there any way you guys can help me with this process, I really don't know what to do because it seems like my time to respond is over? Should I just email them and will they help me?

Hey there @asashane,

Thanks for the reply.

If you've received an email from Spotify you should reply to that with the requested information in order to reach a support advisor. Check your email spam/ junk folder and make sure that emails from Spotify are not blocked. Usually when a playlist gets reported you'd receive an email with further instructions, like the one you've mentioned.

In the meantime, the best thing to do is to copy the songs from the original playlist over to a new playlist and share it on social media to regain followers. This is done easily using the Ctrl+C/ Ctrl+V commands on Desktop.

I'd also suggest you add your +Vote to this Idea.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Done thank you so much!

Hi @asashane,

Thank you for your reply. 

We're glad to see that things got cleared up 🙂

Let us know how it goes. We're always one post away.

Have a continued great weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Spotify. This issue continues to persist. I cannot save a playlist name for as long as I can remember. wth is going on here? I've logged out/in multiple times. I've deleted the app, reinstalled. I've downloaded the playlist. NOTHING works. Please help.

Hi there @bcrete

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community. 

Just to confirm, is this happening across devices or only on a specific one? We'd also like to know if you've followed these specific steps to reinstall the app. 

On another note, does the issue persist while using a different internet connection?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I did indeed try those steps. No avail.

It is doing this no matter what device I’m on…iPhone 11, MacBook Air, Lenovo Thinkpad. Doesn’t matter. It doesn’t not save the name of my playlists. Very frustrating.

This issue has persisted for as long as I can remember. At least the last 8-12 months.

Hi there @bcrete,

Thanks for the info. Could you confirm if the issue also happens on new playlists? Try making a playlist identical to an already existing one and see if the same happens there. You can use Ctrl+click or Ctrl+A on Desktop to mark some or all songs in a playlist at the same time to copy them over more easily.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator

Suggested posts