Quick skipping of songs, no sound, windows sounds are okay

Plan: Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10, 64 bits

My Question or Issue

Hi all,

Recently installed a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard and the corresponding driver tha came with te card.

There was a problem that both of my screens have audio in it, so I disabled that in the nvidea driver.

Now everything is fine soundwise, windows sounds are okay, youtube, tidal, you name I've got sound except from Spotify.

When pressing play it quickly skips songs and there's no sound, sometimes it displays  something like the file can not be played but maybe when downloaded (no!).

I've come across solutions regarding the native windows HD Audio codec, but why use that...

Any clues ?

Regards

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Telomian 

You can try ensuring that the soundcard is selected as an output device for Spotify app. Windows 10 allows to select inputs and outputs per app and this is how to find the dialog:

1. Right-click on speaker icon on Taskbar's notification area, select "Open Sound Settings"

2. In Sound Settings scroll down to "Other sound options" and click on "App Volume And Device Preferences"

3. At the top you'll find general system-wide settings, below you find dedicated settings for each open app. You'll need to have Spotify open to see it there.

Another thing that might help is reinstalling Spotify, maybe it is just a little bit broken and needs a refresh. Here's how to reinstall, I also recommend restarting your PC before installing Spotify.

Let me know how you get on! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey there @Telomian,

thanks for posting in the community !

Sorry to hear your having this issue.

Please reach your settings section on the Spotify app and disable "Enable Hardware Acceleration".

Restart your PC and let me know if it did the trick.

Hope this helps 😃

Hi OneByBoo, thanks for your reply, did what you suggested but to no avail.

Anyone?
Marked as solution

Hey @Telomian 

You can try ensuring that the soundcard is selected as an output device for Spotify app. Windows 10 allows to select inputs and outputs per app and this is how to find the dialog:

1. Right-click on speaker icon on Taskbar's notification area, select "Open Sound Settings"

2. In Sound Settings scroll down to "Other sound options" and click on "App Volume And Device Preferences"

3. At the top you'll find general system-wide settings, below you find dedicated settings for each open app. You'll need to have Spotify open to see it there.

Another thing that might help is reinstalling Spotify, maybe it is just a little bit broken and needs a refresh. Here's how to reinstall, I also recommend restarting your PC before installing Spotify.

Let me know how you get on! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Hi Sebasty, that was the trick and thanks a million for taking the time to respond !!

Regards, Ron

Having the same issue, but I don't get the message about file not being able to be played. Straight up keeps skipping all songs in playlist, until nothing is left.

Using a Creative AE-5 sound card. Latest drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted, etc. Nothing works. However, I can get it to work by simply selecting a different sound output. Then, I can select the other one again and it continues to work. The process of switching the sound source fixes the issue, until I close Spotify and open it again, then the issue starts again.

Trying to find an alternative to Google Play Music, since it is going away... this issue, plus the audio quality degredation where they use some open source alternative to MP3, really makes me think Spotify may not be for me.

Hey @Revelene 

What version of Windows are you running? If it's Windows 10, you can try using the per-app audio preferences I described in my previous post, so that Spotify will use your Creative interface only.

I'd also recommend going to Device manager to disable drivers for audio devices you don't really use. This will help avoiding issues like that. 🙂

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty wrote:

Hey @Revelene 

What version of Windows are you running? If it's Windows 10, you can try using the per-app audio preferences I described in my previous post, so that Spotify will use your Creative interface only.

I'd also recommend going to Device manager to disable drivers for audio devices you don't really use. This will help avoiding issues like that. 🙂

Let me know how you get on!

Windows 10, but I'm not going to limit down to one audio device when this is clearly an app design issue.

If I disable audio devices im not using right at that moment, or limit via per app audio device, that would be counter productive. I want to be able to use on ALL of my audio devices.

Im testing Spotify out with the trial, as something to replace Google Play Music... This issue puts this on the low end of the list of other services I'm trying. This is the only one with that issue.

I really don't want to leave Google Play Music, but it is eventually shutting down and migrating into YouTube Music.

I've got the same issue on Windows 10 with Asus Xonar drivers. As an alternative I have the shortcut run as Administrator and that seems to do the job.

I've been fighting with this exact issue with Asus Xonar drivers for the last month. I tried running as Administrator and it works! Much appreciated.

Before now, I had to:
1. Set default speaker to another speaker
2. Open spotify
3. Try to play a playlist
4. Set default speaker back to my actual speakers

Hey there @Wayke,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community!

This is an issue we are aware of and the right folks are on it. For now, we'd suggest you head over to this thread, add your +VOTE and subscribe to stay up-to-date with with any relevant news about this.

Hope you'll find this useful. Give us a shout, if there's anything else we can help with 🙂

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

And what happens if Spotify doesn't show up in that spot?

Suggested posts