Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle Sucks

Shuffle Sucks

I added a bunch of songs by one artist to my playlist and now each time i play my playlist on shuffle it just puts all of their songs on the top and then the others. I want to listen to other artists and not just them so it makes me quite fustrated bc i don't want to skip all his songs. Someone got any advice?

29 Replies

To follow up on my own post, I tried the online Spotify shuffler and could not see any real improvement over Spotify's broken built-in. But I found another workaround that may actually work - we'll see.

Turns out that while on my (windows) desktop, I can use File/Copy on my playlist - and this function gives a nice text list. If I then open NotePad, Excel, gedit, etc and paste the playlist, I get a column of filenames like:

https://open.spotify.com/track/7abc12kTTBZZ5rdZiO1Isu

https://open.spotify.com/track/7def23kTTBZZ5rdZiO1Isu

It takes all of about 45 seconds to randomize the list in Excel:

1. Paste the playlist into column A.

2. Type the function "=rand()" (without the quotes) into cell B2.

3. Fill the rand() function in column B so that it is the same length as your playlist in column A...either drag the bottom-right corner of B2 or use keyboard shortcuts if you know them).

4. Sort by column B several times. The numbers in B change every time (because rand).

In Excel, highlight column A (which is now shuffled) and hit File/Copy (or Ctrl-C).

Go back to Spotify, create a new playlist, name it, then go to File/Paste.

The new/empty playlist should immediately be filled with your same old songs in a new and wonderfully different order.

I'll follow up one last time after I see how this workaround sounds to me.

-Don

Try connecting your Spotify acct to other social media apps and watch who Spotify marks as your favorite artists. One of my playlists has over 1400 songs in it - 4 of which, are by Taylor Swift. And yet that’s who Spotify projects as one of my favorite artists. Really?  Oh, you mean Spotify is over-promoting a extremely mainstream popular artist who held out signing up with them for years? This is not an accident. Nor is it faulty / negligent coding. It’s time to start talking with your money people. It’s the only language they understand. 

Shuffle on Windows has always been a trash and Spotify thinks it's okay. Also, there is no way to choose the audio output device which should be a basic feature.

I'm glad I don't need to pay the full price for premium, because that would be a steal for an audio service that can't offer the basic audio features.

This happened to me and I contacted the chat support and they had me uninstall and reinstall the app and that seemed to help.

I had the same issue, it played the same 4 artists over and over. I connected my phone app to the browser and saw that my saved songs were sorted by recently added, so i changed it to alphabetical and it now shuffles in a random order.

I turned off "Allow spotify to be opened from the web". Unless it was coincendental, my shuffle is working better. I guess time will tell. Setting>Show Advanced Settings>Toggle "Allow spotify to be opened from the web" off.

I only use the app.

I agree with the shuffle being poor, I often find the same queue list replaying even after I closed the app . I had an iphone for years and never thought twice about the shuffle, do what ever apple is doing guys! I lOVE the app but the shuffle needs a bit of improvement

I agree. Went on a two hour road trip yesterday and heard many duplicates out of 160+ songs. Frustrating because Spotify does other things so well. My remedy is to sort alphabetically by song title and play in sequence- that mixed it up better than Spotify.   I get used to the sequence but that’s not all bad. 

This!!!

June 2018 and still sucks, innit

Turn off auto play and that fixes it

Suggested posts