Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

So tired of hearing the same songs over and over

So tired of hearing the same songs over and over

I'm getting more and more bored of Spotify. I feel like i've been hearing the same songs of my favorite artists in the daily mixes.

I guess Spotify is more targeted towards people who listen to pop music. Pop music is more a market than an actual art. Composer and singers will producs a new album every year with 2-3 hit songs that will be played on radios 4 times a day and fill up the rest with "mediocerer" stuff because they have to.

Well, fair enough, if a majority of listeners are happy with that, great for them. But i don't listen to pop music, i like heavy metal, jazz, blues, classical... And heavy metal albums are not produced to aim generalist radios. They usually are a whole experiences, with of course one of two songs that will be more of a hit, but rarely contain forgettable tracks. And the rest of those tracks never seem to make it into the daily mix.

So i tought i'd fix it by liking more songs of my favorite albums... but you just can't, you can only like (or dislike) tracks that make it into thoses mixes. So my question is, are you guys high or something like that? What kind of people in their right mind wouldn't allow users to like whatever tracks they like to be able to hear them more often and not rely on an algorithm that will dictate what they should be listening to?

Also, there used to be a great feature that displayed new albums that i might like on the discovery screen, but one day it just disapeard. Months later it came up again but was killed again a few days later.

I thinking more and more about canceling my subsciption and look at what other platforms are proposing. I know that Spotify doesn't actually make a lot of money and i'm not sure that pissing of their users is the way to go to fix that.

14 Replies

There's the weekly discovery playlist and release radar, that gives me enough new stuff. I don't even listen to pop.

I know those thing exist but the presentation is garbage. On the good old new albums list you could see an albums list with their cover and quickly find if your favorite artists new releases. In the disovery radar you just have a list of song that is not pleaeant to go through and most of the proposed tracks are not accurate to what i wan't to see.

Like right now, the discovery radar displays a track from Port Noir which is a black metal (i hate black metal) band that sings in french (omagad) and mostly has neo-nazie themes (the guys literraly do heil Hitlers on stage). Why the **bleep** would i want to listen to that???

Idk why they neglect music discovery, probably because the average user listens only the popular stuff.

For me this randomized discovery works out. If I get a band that I don't really like I just press the button next to the hearth button and I blacklist the band. For me it works out really well, every week it finds something interesting. And it always has the new songs in new releases from the bands you have in your library

You should try Deezer, now the discovery function there is really bad, it throws up stuff from regional toplists it almost never offered interesting stuff it was so bad... Somehow Spot gets my taste and random enou to keep me interested. 

Hey @Dt-Sodium,

Is there any way we can help you or did you just want to get this off your chest? 🙂

I'd be keen to help, let me know.

Yes indeed there's something you could do. You could allow users to like or dislike whatever songs they like and i know i'm not the one to complain about it. Also, you could bring back the new album releases on the discovery page (or if you have a good reason not to i'd like to know it) or even better, you could personnalize the new release page to the user's taste (isn't it all Spotify is about?) so that i could actually use it and not see about 99% of stuff i wouldn't listen to under torture.

@Dt-Sodium  schrieb:

Yes indeed there's something you could do. You could allow users to like or dislike whatever songs they like and i know i'm not the one to complain about it. Also, you could bring back the new album releases on the discovery page (or if you have a good reason not to i'd like to know it) or even better, you could personnalize the new release page to the user's taste (isn't it all Spotify is about?) so that i could actually use it and not see about 99% of stuff i wouldn't listen to under torture.

Hey, just letting you know that I'm not a Spotify employee. I can only try to help you as good as I can. 🙂

Even though there is no way to just "like" or "dislike" songs on the platform, Spotify's algorithm learns what kinda music to suggest the way you listen to music. For example, if you add a song to a playlist or save it to your library, the algorithm notices. If you skip a song after 7 seconds, the algorithm notices that as well. The more you listen, the better the algorithm becomes.

Regarding "bring back the new album releases on the discovery page", could you let me know where the discovery page is you're talking about? Just making sure we're talking about the same thing.

I'd be happy to help.

Felix

I tought indeed that you were a spotify employee, sorry about that.

On desktop, when you click on Browse -> discover, on top of the page there used to be new album recommandations. I used it a lot because i don't really follow any websites to know when one of the bands i follow relased a new album and this was great. But one day it was just gone. The "top recommandations for you" section is stupid since it proposes mostly albums that are already in my library.

What are you guys are talking about? There's that hearth icon and that crossed out circle for liking and disliking songs. You can even blacklist artists

No worries!

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I'm sorry to hear that the feature isn't really helpful for you/that the feature you liked has been removed.

What about the Release Radar playlist? I know it isn't the same and you already wrote that you don't really enjoy it, but I'd like to find a way for you to enjoy your Spotify experience again. Your Release Radar is updated every Friday and can be improved by clicking either the heart or the "prohibited sign". It mostly contains artists you follow, different than the Discover Weekly playlist.

Let me know!

Felix

Hey @goatpimp, if I didn't misunderstood Dt-Sodium, he suggested to be able to like/dislike any song/album on the Spotify app. He wasn't talking about the Discover Weekly playlist or the Release Radar, which both already have the features you mentioned. 🙂

Felix

I really apperciate you trying to help but i'm not sure there's anything you can do about it, this really is more a "hope that if enough users complain the Spotify team will come back to it's senses" kind of post 😛

Yeah, someone mentionned the realse radar before but the presentation really isn't good since the human eye is way faster going through a wall of pictures than a vertical list. Plus a lot of time an album cover helps a lot to know if i might like an album at first glance or not.

The "new album" page in the "browse" section has a great presentation but it's about 99% percent shitty pop i don't want to listen to and honestly more confortable not knowing they even exist. It's just a depressing reminder of how most people don't care about actual artists and just listen to whatever comes on the radio.

Haha okay, I see. And I can agree with you on your points. I find it quite depressing too that some "true artists" out there get way less recognition than they actually deserve.

However, I think the best place for this is the idea tab. Feel free to create a brand new idea on this topic, in case it hasn't been created yet, and let people vote, to maybe even catch the Spotify team's attention some day.

Good luck with it and hopefully you can still enjoy your Spotify experience!

Felix

Omagad they actually did it 😮

I keep hearing the same songs every 2 days. Can anyone help me here.

Suggested posts