Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sound is distorted since latest update

Sound is distorted since latest update

Plan

Premium

Country

NZ

Device

HP laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Ever since the latest update I have been unable to listen to any music as the sound is now horribly distorted after about 1 minute of playing time. It sounds like the music is being played underwater.

I have not changed any devices, the only difference is the new update.

I have tried reinstalling Spotify multiple times - it fixed it the first time, but now makes no difference.

I'm paying for Spotify Premium and am currently unable to listen to any music due to the poor sound quality.

6 Replies

Hi there @LXX25,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you remove your hosts files by following these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I am having this exact same issue, once I launch Spotify it will play it full quality for about a minute, and then it sounds awful. 

I have tried clean reinstalling, and also checked the host files.

After running Spotify through cmd I can see that it will play at 320kbps bitrate at first, then it lowers itself to 24kbps, despite my quality setting being on very high. 

Please help with this, I am at my wits end, and having to use the web player for the time being.

EDIT: To add to this, I have just made a new Spotify account to test if it's my account, and it appears to be so. This new account is not having this issue.

Hey @ner0hhh,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Just to double-check- does the issue occur on another device? 

It's also a good idea to make sure that the sound drivers are up-to-date and that the streaming quality is set to very high and not to auto.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't have another device to test with, it works fine on my android phone.

I think I may have fixed it, it appears to be ok for now.

I copied the files generated for my second account from the folder in (AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users) into my primary user folder and overwrote them, it appears to be working as should now.

I did previously delete all of them from my user folder to allow Spotify to generate new ones, but that didn't solve it.

I will report back here in a few days if the problem comes back.

Hi @ner0hhh

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know that. 

We're glad to hear that now it's working fine. 

If anything else comes up, just let us know 🙂

Have a great day!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

there's a new setting i noticed on one of the new updates when my songs started sounding distorted after listening for a little bit. this "canvas" setting is miserable, i don't understand why anyone would want their music to sound like this but after turning it off it still happens while i'm trying to enjoy my music and it's honestly really aggravating. i've loved spotify for years and i'd hate to have to leave because my music refuses to stop sounding haunted

3A20A4E8-A5C4-4F4F-B6EE-D557DDAB80DE.png

Suggested posts