Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 1.0.x Feedback. HORRIBLE UPDATE.

Solved!

Spotify 1.0.x Feedback. HORRIBLE UPDATE.

So today I was listening music and appeared the bar telling to me that a new version was ready to install.

Is the worst update in the history of spotify, here is why.

I'm using windows 7.

No Apps

Not even an alert or something, they are gone.

Can't minimize to tray

With the old app, you can minimize the app to tray, and when you click on close (x) the app still playing music in background. Now, it doesn't

Fixed!

High RAM Usage.

Practically is the web player inside the "desktop" app. Is not native, is slower, and just opening it consumes 200MB of RAM. now It wont be possible to use it on older computers.

The scrolling is slower a little bit and is too clear, CHANGE THE COLOR!

I DON'T WANT A WEBPAGE INSIDE A DESKTOP APLICATION.

Partially Fixed. Performance is better now. Keep improving

Activity Feed

Is gone again. Don't you read our feedback? WE LIKE THIS FEATURE. Don't remove it.

They Fixed this.

Can't Deactivate webhelper

In older versions It was possible, I don't want that process in the background all the time.

Show/hide unplayable tracks

I like to know which songs I can't play. Bring this feature back.

Fixed!

This is what I found by now. I just, DON'T LIKE IT.

Miss the old old spotify 😞

71 Replies

I tried something else to prevent the auto-update:

Go to %APPDATA%\Spotify

Open the "prefs" file.

Change the value of "autoupdate.scheduled_at" to "2147483647", like this

autoupdate.scheduled_at=2147483647

The value of "autoupdate.scheduled_at" is a Unix Timestamp. My original value was set to an hour after I re-installed Spotify. I changed it to 12/17/2099, 4:38:44 PM, so I hope I won't be bothered with updates until way into this century.

You can generate a different Unix Timestamp using this tool: http://www.epochconverter.com/ 

I'll keep you posted on whether this actually keeps working.

Update: no, it did not work: the "restart to upgrade" bar is back. "autoupdate.scheduled_at" is now missing from "prefs".

Hi everyone, I wanted to jump and and clarify some confusion on this thread. 

We have started rolling out this latest version of the Desktop app--this is not a test. 

We absolutely want your feedback around this 1.0.1.805 update and we want to know if you're experiencing any issues. If you think you're experiencing an issue please create a new thread with the issue and and include the following details:

1. Your device & operating system

2. Spotify app version

3. Steps to reproduce the issue

@alv4 wrote:

So today I was listening music and appeared the bar telling to me that a new version was ready to install.

Is the worst update in the history of spotify, here is why.

I'm using windows 7.

Can't minimize to tray

With the old app, you can minimize the app to tray, and when you click on close (x) the app still playing music in background. Now, it doesn't

Why is X exiting the app a problem

Lots of people have been asking for it on a number of threads:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/X-button-at-the-top-CLOSES-THE-FREAKING-...

What is the advantage of having it in the tray?

Less space in the taskbar, I don't like to have a lot of icons.

I just like that way, let us choose, like always.

And also,in the new version the "top tracks" dissapeared. And yes, I know there are some playlist with that, bbut ia not the same.

@alv4 wrote:

Show/hide unplayable tracks

I like to know which songs I can't play. Bring this feature back.

Woah, they've taken away the ability to even see tracks not available in your country? If this is the case I won't be happy. I have a big playlist of these which sync when they become available.

I won't be surprised, of course. It'll be yet *another* example of functionality being removed under the guise of so-called improvements (from people who clearly spend no time actually using the program they work on) and the power users suffer. Again.

Follow me

I appreciate the reply, but this update is a joke. Not calling it a 'beta' is actually embarassing.

Can you not see from this thread that we don't want this crippled version? We want to be able to downgrade, not become part of the feedback process for new, broken updates. Leave that to the users willingly using the Beta version.

@meahtenoha wrote:

We have started rolling out this latest version of the Desktop app--this is not a test. 

We absolutely want your feedback around this 1.0.1.805 update and we want to know if you're experiencing any issues. If you think you're experiencing an issue please create a new thread with the issue and and include the following details:

2. Spotify app version

I gave feedback on several issues reported in this thread during the open beta back in october. So either start listening or stop lying about you wanting feedback, because something is clearly not getting through to the developer(s). This 1.0 web-wrapper is an appaling desktop program.

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges

Spotify,

Just add a beta program where users willing to help and test new features can subscribe and get betas.

Then listen to users feedback and put ideas into the platform for the final release.

There is none so deaf as he who will not hear...

@Zephyr 

Yes, the developers want feedback.

The 1.0.1 update for a small percentage of users will continue to get updates.

The 1.0.1 beta in the desktop board here will also continue to get updates.

1.0.1 still has updates coming. The developers are working on tweaks to improve the new version as well as bringing back more of the functionality that the old version had.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

"We absolutely want your feedback" so that we can ignore everything you say and do whatever want, regardless.

Nowadays feedback for software is needed only to find bugs and not pay for a professional qc test department. Not for suggestions and new features.
😞

@MattSuda wrote:

@Zephyr 

Yes, the developers want feedback.

The 1.0.1 update for a small percentage of users will continue to get updates.

The 1.0.1 beta in the desktop board here will also continue to get updates.

1.0.1 still has updates coming. The developers are working on tweaks to improve the new version as well as bringing back more of the functionality that the old version had.

Do you think we have any trust in features being brought back after this disastrous year with Spotify going "black"? We still don't have offline support on the desktop for "Your Music," something which was promised soon back in april. We still have arbitrary limits to how much music we're allowed to 'save' in "Your Musc." We still don't have a favourite functionality after Starred was ripped out. We seem to lose search/filter functionality more and more. Click & Hold to preview is gone. And from what I saw in the 1.0 beta we're taking further steps BACK reducing the usefulness of a DESKTOP CLIENT, to that of a webpage: spacing/padding is horrendous, choppy non-native navigation, activity feed gone and last time both Tray icon functions and Jump List support was missing. Spotify Connect is utterly broken in its current implementation and the idea exchange is basically one big "not now" going on for years after years. And you say developers want feedback...

It may be true that they want feedback, but they're certainly seem to be doing a good job ignoring it. Wake me up when you have a proper desktop client again.

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges

@MattSuda wrote:

Why on earth would you issue any new software to paying customers with parts missing! Add the parts and then slowly release it. Before that, it should stay in beta with an option to downnload.

@passingbat wrote:

@MattSuda wrote:

Why on earth would you issue any new software to paying customers with parts missing! Add the parts and then slowly release it. Before that, it should stay in beta with an option to downnload.

So version 1.0.1 is not even in beta - it's in the alpha phase of the release life cycle, because beta generally begins when the software is feature complete!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Why don't You just copy Google and make 2 distinct applications instead of 1?

- Spotify

- Spotify Beta

They should coexist on the same PC/device and should be installed/uninstalled at user wish.

https://www.google.it/chrome/browser/beta.html

Simple no?

Camillo

@camillo75 wrote:

- Spotify

- Spotify Beta

They should coexist on the same PC/device and should be installed/uninstalled at user wish.

Simple no?

Camillo

They did.

And then some [Insert your own description here] decided to force the beta (or alpha as has been pointed out by @frankvaneykelen ) on to some customers without warning and no way to get rid of it.

@meahtenoha wrote:

2. Spotify app version

I'm rather confused. Do I have to create a new thread about my "shuffle problem"  (see message 15 in this thread) ? And "steps to reproduce the issue"?

bart

For me the spotify beta version crashes after 10 seconds... I coldn't even get to the 'SEND FEEDBACK' option mentioned here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Welcome-to-the-Desktop-Beta/td-p/932803 because spotify has already crashed before it's shown / or i have a chance to select it. 

Took some googling before I even figured out what was going on. And that I had been picked for the beta program. As a start, it would be nice if spotify said that i was about to update to a beta version and not just the usual "A new version is available, restart to update to the latest version", so I would know that i was using an unstable version.

God, this is awful, anywhere I log in it updates to ehis crap version, i hate it! It happened even on Mac!

Did you really read the feedback, or just ignore it as always?

@passingbat wrote:

@camillo75 wrote:

- Spotify

- Spotify Beta

Simple no?

Camillo

They did.

And then some [Insert your own description here] decided to force the beta (or alpha as has been pointed out by @frankvaneykelen ) on to some customers without warning and no way to get rid of it.

Why? WHY?

I want to use the apps and all the functions that the beta (ALPHA) don't come with.

Thats why I subscribed to this **bleep**!

Suggested posts