Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop - Non-duplicate playlist naming issue

Solved!

Spotify Desktop - Non-duplicate playlist naming issue

Having an issue where the Spotify desktop app adds a 2 to the end of brand new, non-duped playlists. Anyone else experiencing this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@user-removed

Thank you for this info! 🙂

In this case, I'd recommend reaching out to Support.
I suggest giving them the link to this thread as well, so that they're up-to-date with what's been discussed already. You can reach them by one of the below ways:

Email: https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares

This way, they'll be able to take a closer look backstage at this!

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @user-removed

I just tried it out as well - no 2 at the end even when the name is the same.

I recommend reinstalling your Spotify client:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.
2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Install Spotify.

If you have a Windows Store version, hop here to find out how to reinstall this. I do recommend restarting your PC before installing. 🙂

Keep me in the loop!

SebastySpotify Star

Giving the uninstall, folder wipe, and reinstall a shot right now. I’ll report back after.

Sorry for the delay @Sebasty. I uninstalled it, went into my Local and Roaming folders, deleted Spotify folders from the root, and also cleared the location I had manually configured for Spotify to cache tracks to. 

Instead of reinstalling via the executable, I went a different route and installed it via the MS Store as an app. I confirmed that it did not pick up any of my previous settings (not that it should have after deleting all folders), but when I went to create new playlists the issue is still happening.

In the screenshot, the We Run The Streets playlist is an obvious duplicate, that I just created, of an existing playlist. The 2 is the expected behavior that I've seen for years now. Then I created a playlist from an artist/track that I've never even streamed before and the 2 appeared.

Screenshot_9.png

@user-removed

Please tell me what version of Spotify are you having.

You can find it by clicking the three dots on upper-left corner in Spotify and choosing Help - About Spotify.
Let me know what version of Windows you're running as well!

Keep me posted 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

@Sebasty:

Windows 10 - Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update)

Spotify: 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc (Windows Store Version)

As for the previous version, before the reinstall/jump to the Store version, it would have been Version 1.0.77.338 as I always kept it up-to-date whenever an update would be issued.

@user-removed

Thank you for this 🙂

If possible, could you try out these:

1. Try creating a playlist on Spotify in another device, such as mobile, another pc or the web player.

2. Try logging in with another account (with a friend or your spare account) and see if this still happens.

Let me know what happens!

SebastySpotify Star

I tried it on my phone when it first began happening a few days ago, and then again last night, but it did not occur. I'll ask my partner to log in on my desktop tonight to try it. 

@user-removed

What happened with the issue when your partner logged in with their account?

If you still need help, just let me know, I'll be here for you. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Really sorry for the delay @Sebasty, life got a little crazy over the past couple of days with work for both me and him, and we haven't been able to try it. 

Although, I have a thought and I'm curious if you can give it a try in the meantime. If you have more than one hard drive, can you change the directory for your Offline Songs Storage, under Advanced Settings, to a different drive?

For example, I want to extend the life of my C: drive because it's a rather expensive NVMe SSD, and unnecessarily high write counts aren't conducive to that goal. So I've always moved my Spotify cache off to my H: drive which is an older SATA drive.

Before a recent Spotify update, I had used a Symlink to achieve this because changing the setting in Spotify didn't "stick". However, I tried it again after a recent update and now it works, but it appears as though the playlist issue may be an undesirable side effect.

Marked as solution

@user-removed

Thank you for this info! 🙂

In this case, I'd recommend reaching out to Support.
I suggest giving them the link to this thread as well, so that they're up-to-date with what's been discussed already. You can reach them by one of the below ways:

Email: https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares

This way, they'll be able to take a closer look backstage at this!

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts