Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes immediately when I try to start it.

Spotify crashes immediately when I try to start it.

The Spotify client app crashes immediately after opening on my Windows 10 machine. This has been happening for some time, but I was able to reinstall the Spotify app and it would work until my next PC restart. Now it will no longer open even when reinstalled (or uninstalled manually then reinstalled).

7 Replies

It may have errors on launch, have you tried looking in task manager to see if it is 'open' (or any processes related to it) If there are, try closing then and launching again.

Mine was working fine on my Windows 10 machine this morning.  i was doing nothing but playing music.  The banner was at the top to update to restart for the new version of Spotify.  I decided not to do that until later this evening, however, in the middle of playing music the program crashed.  I then went in to  restart it and it did the same thing.  It would show up for maybe 3 seconds then crash immediately.  It would then restart itself and crash again, and about the 3rd time it came up and I thought it was going to stay up.  I started a song and got about 10 seconds into it then it crashed and attempted to restart, starting the whole process again.  i updated my Java in hopes that might fix the problem.  Restarted the computer and then restarted Spotify.  This time it immediately came up, I tried to play a song, got about ten seconds in and the whole crashing/restarting process started again, continually doing the same thing over and over.  I'm going to try and reinstall and cross my fingers its not an issue with the update and my machine.

I restarted my machine this morning, and Spotify wasn't installed at all. So I ran the installer yet again, this time it brought me to a login screen and seems to be working once I logged in.

My best current hypothesis is that my uninstall yesterday needed a restart to completely remove everything, including whatever cached credential it was using to auto-log me in, and that something in said cache was corrupted and causing my issue.

For future reference is there a way to clear out Spotify's local data if I can't get into the app, like an appdata folder I can delete?

got the same problem ! 

Do you have a solution ?

I had the same problem. Seems like I had the old UI and the random update today didnt really update so it had some error communicating with the program. (It is my guess) 
Closed my spotify just as stated above. Removed spotify and downloaded it again. Seems to be solved for me atleast. best of luck

I am now back in the same state, Spotify crashes on start. I tried what fixed it before:
1. uninstall spotify
2. restart
3. reinstall spotify
4. log in using the app (I use facebook login)

This has NOT solved my problem this time, and the Spotify Windows app remains non-functional. It's clearly related to logging in, the app remains open when I'm not logged in but as soon as I try to login it crashes (once I've logged in it crashes on startup since it tries to auto-log me in.)

This is incredibly frustrating. I tracked down what I think are Spotify's data directories under users\username\appdata\local\spotify and users\username\appdata\roaming\spotify but there's nothing in there that looks like a crash log (there's an empty crash reports folder). Is there a way to get better support for this app as a paying user?

As a side note I have tried TheoH's troubleshooting suggestion. The Spotify Web Helper is all that's running in Task Manager and I have tried killing that. When I run Spotify it starts up again along with two copies of the Spotify process. Then a Crash Helper process starts up, the Spotify processes go away followed by the Crash Helper and leaving the Web Helper.

Suggested posts