Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when chrome downloads a file from the internet

Solved!

Spotify crashes when chrome downloads a file from the internet

Hello folks,
I am using Spotify version 1.0.57.474.gca9c9538 on a Windows 10 machine with the latest insider build installed. Each time the Google Chrome browser starts downloading a file, Spotify simply closes without any message. The error exists over multiple restarts since the latest Spotify update to the version mentioned before.

Does anyone else have this error?

As it does not make Spotify unusable I wouldn't say it is very bad, but it is interessting and sometimes annoying, especially when playing good music...

Thank you for your feedback / help!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just following up on this.  I run in the WIn10 Fast Ring and just upgraded to release 16237, and the Spotify crash during browser file download issue is gone.  I did note BTW that 16232 (which had the bug) has been released to the Slow Ring, which means a lot more folks are going to hit this issue...

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I am on the same version of Windows and Spotify as you, well Windows Insider 16232. I noticed it was happening with Firefox, tried with Chrome and both browsers cause it to crash.

Same Issue here, Anyone know a fix?

Same issue sadly also using Windows Insider (fast)

Confirmed on build 16232.  Occurs with either the classic or UWP version of Spotify.  

Well I think we need to rely on spotify to get a solution... Although I'v had VLC stop playing sometimes when switching tasks. Could be a feature to, Idk.

Are spotify help folks in this community, or should we reach out to them on some other way?

I'm having the same and I'm getting help via Twitter. They suggested reinstalling Spotify, turning off local sources and even installing older versions, but alas, nothing works. The crash occurs in all Chromium-based broswers (like Opera and Vivaldi) and the only workaround right now is probaly using other browsers such as Edge and Firefox

Donvw, Firefox is causing the issue for me as well though 😞

Did you try the Insider community?

Microsoft should get used to making what's new notes somewhere. They probably changed sth. about the way media controlls are working...

EDIT: Even Edge seems to crash Spotify when downloading anything. This clearly needs to be fixed...

So perhaps too little too late, but I went ahead and sent in a Feedback Hub issue. Here's the shortlink: https://aka.ms/Kep1rn. I suspect this will be fixed quickly (next build) because, while everyone at Spotify may use a Mac, I'm pretty sure there are few devs at Microsoft running Windows. Who. CANNOT. Code. Without. Tunes.
Marked as solution

Just following up on this.  I run in the WIn10 Fast Ring and just upgraded to release 16237, and the Spotify crash during browser file download issue is gone.  I did note BTW that 16232 (which had the bug) has been released to the Slow Ring, which means a lot more folks are going to hit this issue...

Well, I did post a tweet to Spotify. They told me some steps which did not work. Now I have received the second set of instructions. If there is a working solution, I will post it to this thread asap.

This means, that is was not a spotify issue, but a Windows insider issue...
I will see, if the issue disappears for me to, once I got this latest build.

Have done the update today, and have since been using Spotify with no issue even when downloading files. Will be interesting to see if this also solved my plex server crashing issue that appeared after the same update.

I believe this could be fixed turnning off the local files tracking, but whenever I try it my Spotify crashes.

This issue happens whenever one of the local files folders is manipulated, so it's a big problem and Spotify will be crashing constatly and losing some data.

Seems plausible, I'm on 16232 here and it's for sure doing that.  Hope we get a new update soon 🙂

Suggested posts