Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify doesn't work with VPN, even connected through a US>US server

Spotify doesn't work with VPN, even connected through a US>US server

Add VPN support or provide a business case why VPNs are blacklisted.

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

PC - Win 10

34 Replies

Hey there @chrisjoonior,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

Keep in mind that Spotify doesn't officially support VPN. Because of this there is the possibility that the app doesn't behave correctly, when used in combination with it.

You can submit an idea on our board though, that requests that VPN support is added. This page has all necessary steps. We'll post there the latest updates on the matter as soon as there are any.

If you'd like an official statement as to why this feature is not supported, we recommend that you reach out to out press team. You can to that here

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have to be press to get an answer about why VPNs are blacklisted?

Hey @chrisjoonior,

Thanks for getting back to us.

You don't have to be press yourself to send an inquiry.Note that in the Press contact form the field Publication/Media is optional. You can leave it blank or just write in it "none". The Press team will still happily answer your questions about VPN.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a nice day!

Mihail Moderator

I have problem with spotify not working when I have my VPN on. Is there a reason for that? It was working fine before and all of a sudden. It stopped working.

Hey @flcntk3,

Thanks for jumping in.

As mentioned above, Spotify doesn't officially support VPN. This means that issues with the app while using VPN are expected behavior. 

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a great day!

Mihail Moderator

I'm seeing the same behavior when I'm connected to my work VPN. Are you telling me I can't use my work VPN and listen to music at the same time? That's BS. I updated to the latest version of Spotify and now it doesn't work if I'm connected to my work VPN. This needs fixed or I'm canceling my premium subscription that I've had since Spotify came to the US.

##- hmmm... it used to work with VPN and all of a sudden, it doesn't work... I wonder if it has anything to do with China. Maybe something is routed or store in China? For China does not allow the use of VPN -##

Sent from my HTC

Unsurprisingly, the press team did not even acknowledge the question.  Not only does Spotify not payout fairly, but they don't even bother to answer the plebs.

could Spotify be using a service that is in China? For China does not allow VPN

In my case, connectivity issues within the Spotify app using a VPN were solved by connecting to a server with a different protocol, e.g. IKE or SSL server protocol instead of OpenVPN or Nordlynx

Hey folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Yeah if Spotify doesn't start properly supporting VPN's im gonna cancel my premium subscription which I've had for over 7 years. What is also strange is that first te VPN problem was exclusive to episodes of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast on Spotify. You couldn't listen to them with a connection to a VPN. Now it seems like I can't at all listen to Spotify while connected to a VPN. I love spotify as a platform but these issues, or perhaps business decisions are ANTI CONSUMER ! And we will pay with our wallets!

Bye bye dear spotify.

My family is gonna switch to a well known video provider, which's done a good job with it's music service.

Thanks for 4 years of great service

Your reason why it doesn't work with VPN... I'd rather have an app that may not work correctly sometimes than an app that doesn't work at all.

Come on! You guys are afraid of people using it outside the US, but you don't understand that many US users would also need VPN for various reason- especially working in IT or research, I always need my VPN on. That means I can't use Spotify while I use my server which is most of my day. The replies by the customer service here.. what a joke! (as someone mentioned they're nor even acknowledging the problem)

The staff replies are part of the mechanism - deflect, re-orient, pass-off until the consumer leaves you alone and stops posting.

The VPN mechanism probably messes with their advertising/tracking metrics, which is a cardinal sin in the Payola framework that Spotify operates in.

And ending your Spotify subscription isn't going to do anything, they have a bajillion dollars, the backing of global capital. I think I'd prefer just a middle finger than the run around, but what are ya gonna do? Not like anyone has any agency over anything in their lives, even the tepid responses from the canned HR replies.

This is because even the subscribers are not Spotify's customers. The add companies and data brokers are.

There is a complete difference between Spotify not working with a VPN and it not working when the VPN is being used for work. I find it amazing that they don't want people using Spotify while they remote into work.  I find that if you start a playlist while the VPN is off and then turn on the VPN, you can get two songs played and the last song will keep playing on repeat.  I am currently thinking about trying Pandora. 

I'm running into the same issue.  Can't use Spotify on work computer.  Looks like I have to also cancel my subscription and look into other alternatives.

Tidal has been working pretty good. Youtube RED is fine as well.

Suggested posts