Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify feed not appearing on Facebook

Spotify feed not appearing on Facebook

Hi,

I seem to be facing a quite bizarre problem here.

I used Spotify today after a period of 3 weeks. The songs were streaming perfectly fine on the desktop app.

However, 

i) The friend activity feed seemed to have disappeared. I could only see recommendations of friends to "follow" on the top right-hand side.

ii) None of the songs played showed on my Facebook timeline, as they used to.

I went through several topics on this community, looking for a solution. I tried:

a) removing the app from my Facebook, and adding it again

b) doing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on my PC

c) checking and unchecking the "Share on Spotify Social" and "Share on Facebook" boxes in the app

d) installing an older version - 0.8.3.222 - which solved one problem: the friend activity feed was back on the app. But, it still wasn't posting the tracks played on to my Facebook timeline or my Activity Log or the Spotify section box.

e) a combination of a, b, and c (solution providers would know what I'm talking about) - to no avail!

I've tried to be as comprehensive as possible about this whole ordeal. Could someone please, please, please help me sort this out? Please.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I am using Windows Vista OS, the latest version of Spotify (well, it automatically updated to the newest one from 0.8.3.222), and my location is USA.

26 Replies

I just replied to your PM 😛

Anyhow, like I said in the PM - is it a Facebook or Spotify account?

If it is a Spotify account, try unlinking it from Facebook, and then linking it again.

Liam

Hi Liam,

Just replied to your PM. I tried unlinking and relinking my FB and Spotify accounts, and as mentioned in my original message, I tried a bunch of other things. Nothing seems to be working! 😞

If you go to your Timeline then hit "Activity Feed" under your cover photo can you see your Spotify activity there? 

Or any Spotify activity in the "Recent Activity" box which will be at the bottom on the left of your timeline? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nope. Nowehere at all!

I looked in the Activity Log - no activity feed!

I looked in the Spotify box - no activity feed!

Nothing in the Recent Activity section as well.

And I cannot deem it as a disconnect between my Facebook and Spotify, because in the latest version, I can see recommendations of friends to follow on the top right-hand side; and when I'd installed version 0.8.3.222, I could see my Facebook friends' activity feed. It's only that my activity feed isn't getting posted in either versions!

😞

Can you try heading into Facebook > Account Settings > Apps > Spotify, and delete Spotify. Then try logging in again as normal. That'll hopefully refresh your Facebook connection on the Facebook side just incase it is a Facebook-app issue. 

Peter

Peter

I'd already tried doing that, but to no avail 😞

Update:

Version 0.8.3.222 seems to be running stable without any automatic updates.

I can see my friends' activity feed on the right side, but strangely their usernames are being displayed instead of their actual names on Facebook. Don't you think this is a bit strange, considering that when I click on 'People' their full names are displayed.

And of course, my activity feed is still not being published! 😞

That is strange, are you connecting via a proxy, VPN or company network? 

Peter

Peter

Nope. Just the normal HTTP connection.

This is so darn baffling. I feel like I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this!

Another Update:

Now after a series of logging out and in, half my friends' names in the Friend Activity feed are displaying as the full names, while the remaining are still being displayed in their usernames. Wow.

Another update, and perhaps the most bizarre one:

Right, so I clicked on and played a song from my Friends' activity feed, and it appeared on my Facebook feed!

And then I tried playing a song by searching for an artist and from their album catalog, bad luck chuck! 😞

In fact, any song that I play from an artist page or even from the web (open.spotify.com) does not appear on my FB feed. And every single track I play from my friends' activity feed is appearing!

Weird.

And of course, help! 😞 Please.

sd115 wrote:

Version 0.8.3.222 seems to be running stable without any automatic update.

It will unless you've applied "the fix."

sd115 wrote:

I can see my friends' activity feed on the right side, but strangely their usernames are being displayed instead of their actual names on Facebook.

This is normal behavior on the 0.8.3 friends feed.  The names will update, give it some time, possible a day or so.

sd115 wrote:

And of course, my activity feed is still not being published! :(

Sounds like a privacy setting on Facebook.  When you do into you Activity Log, on the left there is a link to view Posts You've Hidden.  Take a look there.   Still nothing?  Go to your settings [top blue bar, far right next to Notifications, hard to see] .  Then go to Apps and click on the Spotify icon to do a complete review of your privacy settings.

0.8.3 definitely posts to the Activity Feed, since I use it and I get comments.  Played Pink Floyd's track from the artist page the other day and got a 'like' on it.  You can also try clearing your browser cookies or even looking at your Facebook timeline from a different browser.  Firefox acts a little flaky for me sometimes, so I'm clearing my cookies frequently.

This is getting way too bizarre for me.

I have no idea what happened, but now I cannot access the community as "sd115" anymore!

Apparently, I had first signed up for Spotify without connecting to my Facebook account.

I then used the same ID a year later and connected to Facebook.

And earlier today, I joined the community with the username "sd115" whilst being logged onto Spotify via my Facebook.

In the last hour or so, things were going really weird. I disconnected my Spotify account from Facebook and closed the app.

I then closed my browser, and logged on to Spotify using FB. I then tried to access the community, but it kept asking me to enter a username!

After several tries, I just gave up and signed in as "sd511".

Rollo_, the app has automatically updated itself (like it always does) to the latest version...again! And now even my friends' activity feed has disappeared!

I checked the Privacy settings, App settings, over and over again. Nothing has changed. 😞

Deleted browser cookies on my Chrome. Deleted the Spotify Storage folder contents as well. No change.

I tried using IE. No difference.

I think I'm gonna give up on this now! 😞

I posted detailed instructions on how to keep the old versions from updating just the other day.  Search my posts.

You've obviously created multiple accounts.  You're likely best off starting fresh at this point, a new account associated with your Facebook account, unless you have a lot of playlists.  If thats the case, assuming you have access to them, first save your links to those playlists by copying and pasting the http links, or simply drag them into Word or [preferably] Excel.

Do a new CLEAN install of the current version, login with your Facebook registered email and password, then if you want you can revert back to 0.8.3.  My post shows exactly how to do this in Windows.

So, your suggestion helped massively!

I removed Spotify from FB, uninstalled the app from my PC, and registered on Spotify.com using my FB account. It recognized my older username, but I went ahead with that and reinstalled version 0.8.3.222 and applied your fix to disable automatic updating.

The friend activity feed now shows the full names of my friends per their FB accounts. So, that's a positive sign.

However, only those tracks with a "Play" button on them, when played, are getting published on my FB feed. The others (searching for an artist and playing a song off their album) do play but are not getting published on any of my FB feeds!

I didn't work on fixing this yesterday 'cause I was super frustrated on Sunday! I tried fixing this now in the middle of the night, but I still can't seem to fix it! 😞

Update:

I just exit the app and opened it again from FB, and my friends names in the friend activity feed has decided to show their usernames again. Aargh!

One step forward, two steps backward. FML.

Another update:

I searched for artist "Idiot Pilot" and double clicked on the song 'Elephant', and it magically appeared on my FB feed.

I did the same with "Hollywood Undead" and double clicked on 'Another Way Out', and it did not appear on my FB feed.

I'm losing my mind!

This is incredibly frustrating... no incentive to stay as a premium subscriber with Spotify.

Did anyone ever figure out the solution for this problem? 

It started for me today. I have removed and the reconnected spotify to FB and still nothing. 😕 

Suggested posts