Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Windows on ARM (Win32) Desktop app badly needed

Spotify for Windows on ARM (Win32) Desktop app badly needed

Can you tell me when Spotify will be released for Windows on ARM and where on your Roadmap it is?

Windows on ARM PCs have been out a few years now and whilst the 32-Bit Windows App works, due to software emulation not optimally

Apple announced on the 22nd of June Macs are moving to ARM starting the end of the year and they expect the transition away from Intel to ARM to take 2 years. Both Microsoft and Adobe are working on ARM compatibility.

Currently on my Microsoft Surface Pro X I have to use the 32-Bit download which lags.

A new idea was posted for this last year but it's been closed as it didn't get enough Likes but it didn't get enough Likes as it's been closed 😕 -

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Compile-Spotify-for-ARM64-windows/idi-p/478113...

Thanks
19 Replies

Can't agree more. I also would like to be able to run a native arm64 Spotify app on my Surface Pro X. The x86 version works but is sluggish. 

I've created another Idea. Please vote on it:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Developer-Spotify-for-Windows-on-ARM-Win32...

Agreed Spotify is particularly sluggish.

Hi,

As a alternative you could currently use an arm64 native browser and  create a web app out of the web frontend https://open.spotify.com/

this works quite well for me.

Currently only Firefox works for me with the Site Specific Browser - see the following link, how to enable it to create an app.

https://winaero.com/blog/enable-site-specific-browser-in-firefox/

In Microsoft Edge Chronium the Spotify Web Player refuses to work "please enable secure playback", but secure playback is enabled - other Player work

So - currently I live with this solution for many apps - WhatsApp, Netflix and other Apps runs as Microsoft Edge Chronium PWA on my Surfac Pro X.

Hi mirogl

Using the Web App isn't an ideal solution though. Sure it works well but by it's nature it's basic compared to the Desktop App.

For me this isn't a resolution. There's no Offline Downloads for example in the Web App :(.

Currently only Firefox works for me with the Site Specific Browser - see the following link, how to enable it to create an app.

It's good to see Mozilla have finally added a Web App feature to Firefox. It's been in Chromium based browsers for years and is even in Internet Explorer 11.

Strange that link you gave says it came in Firefox 73 but there's no mention of it in the FF73 Release Notes. My guess it's not yet a fully formed feature, especially as you have to enable a hidden flag.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/73.0/releasenotes/

In Microsoft Edge Chronium the Spotify Web Player refuses to work "please enable secure playback", but secure playback is enabled - other Player work

It works fine for me using the Apps menu -> Install feature. What is Secure Playback? I don't get this or know what it might mean.

For Netflix you can use the Windows 10 Store app that's written for ARM and offers Offline Downloads not available in the Web App.

Thanks

Hi

Since I'm from Germany the translation was not correct- the correct error is with Microsoft Edge Chronium "Playback of protected content is not enabled" - see

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/system_settings/enable-the-spotify-web-player/

On my Surface Pro 4 Microsoft Edge Chronium works with the Spotify Web Player - so it seems to be an arm64 specific problem.

I'm using the SSB Firefox Feature in 78.0.2 - but it seems not really to be final, since the app icon is not working after i close Firefox again. So I still wait, until this works with Microsoft Edge Chronium.

I know, I could use the Netflix app, but it works perfect for me as an PWA - and i like the Idea.

Thanks

Hi

Since today spotify works for me also in the Microsoft Edge Chronium Browser -

Version 83.0.478.61 - don't know, what this fixed - but now Spotify works an a PWA  - so for me this is currently perfect.

Indeed a native app would be better with download functionality.

Thanks

On my Surface Pro 4 Microsoft Edge Chronium works with the Spotify Web Player - so it seems to be an arm64 specific problem.

It works for me on my Surface Pro X with Edge (Chromium) 83.0.478.61.

I'm pretty sure it's enabled by default on both Chrome and Edge (Chromium) too. So weird it doesn't work for you.

I know, I could use the Netflix app, but it works perfect for me as an PWA - and i like the Idea.

No Offline Downloads though? And I think we should support the few ARM app on the Microsoft store or more won't be made/they'll get killed off.

Agreed I like the idea too though and use it for many things like WhatsApp, but for Spotify functionality is greatly reduced :(.

Hi

like I wrote in my last post  - since today Spotify works for me.  I created a bug report weeks ago, perhaps Microsoft fixed it with the latest release.

You are right with the support of ARM apps - therefore I have uninstalled the PWA Version of Netflix and will use now the app from the store. BTW - if you look for a native Keepass app - the developer of Keeweb created an arm64 version, after I asked him.  So some developers care about our needs.

Thanks

No way thanks. I use Keypass for work.

I understand its relatively straight forward to port apps to ARM.

The same happened with VLC there's a third party ARM64 version on the Other Downloads drop down on their website. Annoyingly it's about 2 years old though so isn't getting maintained. But the app rarely changes anyway.

I'm also using Visocity VPN after they made their 32-bit also ARM64 compatible. The app is still 32-bit has ARM64 drivers.

We need the bigger developers like Spotify and bizarrely Microsoft to get on board now!

Hi

yes - I compiled 7-Zip and Notepad++ for myself with Visual Studio 2019. Since it is sometimes very easy, it is strange, that there are so few arm64 ports. Now, since x86 32 bit applications run - the developers say - ok, thats enough, why should i build new ones.  

Regarding VLC - i have contacted the VLC developers months ago and received a recent VLC build 3.0.10 and also nightly build of 4.x  - but until now they didn't release it officially and I'm not allowed to post the links. I asked them today again - so hopefully the builds will find their way to the official homepage. If you want to know, why this 2 years old release was done - just read https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-May/123457.html

Best Regards

Now, since x86 32 bit applications run - the developers say - ok, thats enough, why should i build new ones.  

Sadly yes. No Apps so no Support, no Support because of no Apps.

Mostly it's embarrassing not even Microsoft are porting their apps. Both Teams and Skype are Win32 32-Bit only (and Electron is available for ARM). Skype has gotten worse, their was a Skype UWP ARM64 version which worked really well, but when MS killed the UWP version ARM support went with it :(.

I'm hoping when Apple release their first ARM MacBook at the end of the year it'll spur the Windows developer community to port more apps.

Ultimately a dual x86 and ARM world is where Windows is headed. For developers (not Spotify) who're releasing both x86 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions they should be switching to x86 64-Bit and ARM64 releases. If you already offer a 64-Bit app there's little point in the 32-Bit one these days.

i have contacted the VLC developers months ago and received a recent VLC build 3.0.10 and also nightly build of 4.x

Where's the contact page? I'd like to ask for the same. I'd prefer to use a v3.x build than a Nightly. I don't need the bleeding edge, just want stable. Thanks

Hi

I agree - but again as an alternative for the meantime - Teams is running very well in Microsoft Edge Chronium - also for my work needs very well.

Perhaps the transition from apple to arm will help get more apps from Microsoft on arm.

I contacted Martin (from the post i sent) directly via E-Mail after after some google  search - but there is an official contact link at https://www.videolan.org/contact.html  

Cheers

I agree - but again as an alternative for the meantime - Teams is running very well in Microsoft Edge Chronium - also for my work needs very well.

True. I've been evaluating both the 32-Bit Win32 Desktop Apps vs. Web Apps for Skype and Teams.

I contacted Martin (from the post i sent) directly via E-Mail after after some google  search - but there is an official contact link at https://www.videolan.org/contact.html  

Thanks again. That YouTube Microsoft developers conference video is over 2 years old :(.

Spotify,

May I have an update on my question where Spotify for Windows on ARM is on your Roadmap please?

Yes, PWA is definitely a great workaround! However, the Netflix app on the windows store is now running on Arm and works very well. I wish Spotify could do the same

I'd say a good workaround as the Web App is very limited compared to the Desktop App. Especially if you're a Premium user (no Offline support).

It also gives App Developers are lazy rout not to bother to support WoA.

Agreed on the Netflix front.

Of the 32-Bit Desktop apps I use Spotify is easily the most sluggish. Some the performance drop is barely noticeable.

What the **bleep**!

In 6 months of asking a Spotify for ARM (M1) was not only announced as Beta but was completed:

Solved: Apple Silicon and Spotify - The Spotify Community

And yet Windows on ARM has been around since 2016 and we've been asking for at least the past 2 years, and not only is there no ARM build, but it's also not even 64-Bit.

Why in 2022 is Spotify for Windows still a 32-Bit only app?

😡😡😡

Why in 2022 is Spotify for Windows still a 32-Bit only app?

Because their development team is split into 100 teams and can't coordinate for sh*t.

Suggested posts