Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps crashing!

Spotify keeps crashing!

Is it just me, or does Desktop Spotify keep crashing for y'all?

17 Replies

Same here. Since the last update it keeps crashing after half a song. I re-installed, it worked, then it auto-updated, and voila: same issue again. Gonna switch to itunes, until they fix it hopefully with the next update. 😠

Me too!  Since the last update it is crashing constantly.  

Mee too, 

have Spotify a official technicall support guys there or is whole based as community help ? 

2019-01-26_10-32-31.png
2019-01-26_10-32-10.png

Same here. I've tried both the Windows app version as well as the full standalone version - no difference. It will open after 2 or 3 tries, play about half a song and then just close on its own. Seems to be due to an update...AGAIN. The web player works OK most of the time. Even that just randomly stops playing. Also, I can't repeat songs even though I have a premium subscription. It was working a while ago but now the back arrow is greyed out. I've made no changes.

Does anyone at Spotify actually read these? Is there anywhere to report problems to them? I've never really complained too heavily as I've used the free version for years. But now I'm PAYING for extra options that no longer work. Not a happy camper!

Spotify just disrgards the read-only Friday rule: They regularly push new builds on Fridays and then enjoy their weekends even if the new update is broken and needs a hotfix. We just have to wait until someone notices it during the next work week.

Not working for me as well on Win10 64bits. App plays 5-10 seconds of the last played music and crashes.

I've tried to do some troubleshooting. The local version works fine on my Win10 laptop. The app works fine on my android. It seems to be only my HTPC that's having the problem. It crashed on Saturday, worked fine all day Sunday (with no intervention), crashed on Monday. I've also tried to use the Windows app version with the same results.

So - on Tuesday I followed the recommended steps of uninstall, registry clean/repair, uninstall/reinstall device and driver (Radeon HD 6450 dedicated HDMI pass-through video card) and finally reinstall Spotify. It worked great for hours! Victory is mine!

Now, the following morning, IT'S CRASHING AGAIN!?!?!?!?! What gives? It doesn't make any sense. Perhaps a conflict with new Spotify code and legacy hardware?

The desktop app has been working quite well on all my Windows 10 machines (Pro awa Home), until now. Experiencing exactly the same issues as you guys above. Like, what the **bleep**? Have they completely forgot all about Beta and Release Candidate testing??

Spotify has received almost $1500 USD of my money throughout the years, so I’m pretty darn entitled to be **bleep**.

Same issues here, Win 10 desktop app started immediately crashing. Reinstalled and it was fine until yesterday. Now it will play what seems to be exactly 1 song then it crashes.

Tried both versions same issue.

And I agree with the other poster as well. I pay for the family plan for my just my wife and I and it's really aggravating that the only help seems to be the community and not Spotify tech support. On the occaisons I did get support ot was very lackadaisical.

As a paying customer I expect more urgency in resolving my problem.

A more procative approach would be apprecciated

My laptop, which has the .exe installed, prompted to restart to install a new update yesterday. I didn't do it yet because I haven't had one problem with Spotify on my laptop (and I didn't want to fool with it as I was leaving work). I'm sure it will auto update when I power up this morning. I'm going to download a new .exe and try reinstalling on my HTPC this evening. Hopefully they've fixed whatever problem is affecting random users and devices. And, for the record - I'm not a huge fan of the web player.

The problem seems to have gone away with the latest update. I did a clean install of the .exe and it's been working fine for 3 days now. It's just strange that the problem only affected ONE of my devices. Thanks for the input, peeps!

With me, I log on and after 10 seconds, it closes. over, and over, and over again. I am going insane 😐

Yep. After 1/2 song. sometimes 1 1/2 songs. Running OS 10.13.6  Re-downloaded and everything. Not fixed.

My Spotify app keeps crashing on my iPhone 11. It will crash unexpectedly in the middle of me listening to it. When this happens, it happens about halfway through the first song I play. I then have to restart the application and then restart the song. Sometimes this doesn't work though, and it will continue to keep crashing. I will then try to restart my phone if the issue persists, but that almost never fixes it. I have tried to track this issue to see if there is some pattern with it (ie; happens after I update the app) but I never have found a pattern, it seems to be happening randomly. Also, a quick clarifier here, this happens about once a week (It isn't happening every time I open Spotify). Just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this issue. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This sounds odd and we'll do our best to help you out.

We'd suggest you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues.

If you have any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

If the issue still occurs while using the Desktop app, it's a good idea to try running the app as an administrator.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I first tried deleting the app as well as doing a clean reinstall of the app and neither worked. Just letting you know. Thanks!

Hey there @Grant_S,  

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.   

Do you have the possibility to check if the app would still crash when using it on a different device? If it doesn't occur on another device, we'd suggest making sure that the original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Alternatively, try connecting to a different network to check if you observe the same. If it works with another connection, it's best to contact the service provider of the original network for more information. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.   

Suggested posts