Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify muting and playing different songs randomly

Spotify muting and playing different songs randomly

Plan

Premium

Country

Uruguay

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

With no reason apparently(Tested even without touching anything in the PC), while reproducing any song, Spotify mutes the song and in some more rare cases not only that but also changes the song that was being reproduced to any other random song - not even on any of my lists or radar -.

This has become really unpleasant to the point that once every 3-5mins is happening, making Spotify unusable.

I tested unninstalling and installing the newest Spotify version but it is still happening.

10 Replies

I'm having the exact same problem, I signed out of all devices and reinstalled the app but it keeps happening

Hey there @Rishda and @Gus0622

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall instead of the regular one? There's a difference between the two in how the app data are being managed.  

We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This tends to solve issues with the app's performance. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Hi Ivan,

I just tryed your suggestion.

Sadly, still the same issue, can't even complete one song.

Hi, greetings from Ecuador, I solved the problem in my computer, I uninstall the app and download it from the Microsoft Store

Daniel 

Did not work for me. Just did the whole clean uninstall and reinstalled and can't even get into a minute of a song without spotify muting and attempting to change the song. It repeatedly changed to the same song (Something by Reign), so I blocked the artist. The app still attempts to play the same song by the same artist even though it shouldn't. What do I do

Hey there @Rishda, @Gus0622 and @modge_podge

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

It's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

@Ivan,

Truth is that I had the same behavior with my cellphone, nothing worked, so I finished up unninstalling the application. Also, I had Alexa connected and I had times in which Alexa started reproducing Spotify without any external input!!! I know it sounds insane, because it is, but happened several times. 

While listening in the PC with Alexa connected, sometimes it stopped in the PC and started playing some other random song in Alexa. 

Due to that, ended up disconnecting Alexa from the power!

Update: Spotify still has the same behavior even if it's only opened in my PC.

If you have no other options I guess the solution is finally unninstalling spotify since even if it's opened and not reproducing it starts alone reproducing. 

I mentioned before unusable, but it is more than that, it's completely annoying. And somehow I got an email to change my password after your first reply, what was that supposed to change?

Hey there @Rishda

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If you notice any suspicious activity (such as the one you describe) on your Spotify account, always follow the steps below first:

1. Open the Reset Password form in a private/incognito window and create a new, strong password you haven’t used for another online service; 

2. Open your Account Page, scroll down and click on SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE

Let me know how this goes after performing these steps. 

We'll look out for your reply.  

@Ivan

What you are saying has not changed anything. 

Regards.

Hey there @Rishda

Thanks for getting back to us.

In case you still experience the same after performing these steps, we suggest you head to this help page. Here you'll find useful tips on how to secure your account in case of unauthorized access. 

Additional info on how to protect your Spotify account can be found here

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Suggested posts