Spotify quits by itself every time I open it.

Spotify quits by itself every time I open it.

Hege321
Music Fan

My spotify quits after 3 seconds every time I open it both on my computer (windows) and on my iPhone. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the program on both devices and the same problem still happens. I got the Spotify Premium and it has always worked as it is supposed to before this. WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS?!... I do not intend to pay for this if it doesn't work..

59 Replies

reginasisk

I have unintstalled and reinstalled 5 times now and tried this suggested fix. I am getting irritated at this point. How do you fix this?

MichaelJerzak
Composer
Have you tried restarting your computer?

Z_Scribble

Guys! Ive had the same problem! However, I took

"%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background"

and I put it in a text document and changed the file type to a .bat instead of a .txt and if you open spotify through that its easier than going to RUN and putting it in every time. So just do that and put it on your desktop. Works perfectly.

bikeman1234
Casual Listener

Hi i read your item on Spotify , i am still getting the black screen ! I am not a PC expert by any means ,can you please explain more of how to do what you have done in laymans terms ? thanks Bill

CecilxIndy
Casual Listener

Neither of these solutions fixed any lag issues. The volume slider lags. The track slider lags. It lags when skipping through songs.

Peter__
Community Legend
Do you have a lot of local files imported into Spotify? The local file scanning process has also been known to cause extreme lag.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

goldleader80
Casual Listener

I have this problem on Mac OSX none of the solutions have worked.  Im on the latest version of spotify.  Spotify please fix.  

Jacobsens
Casual Listener

Hi there,

For Mac users:

I was having the same issue: Browse, Radio and search functions were not working. I have solved it by delelting the cache. Go to Preferences > Cache and browse to the following path: /Users/xxxx/Library/Caches (you won't normally be able to this through the Finder as the user/Library folder is hidden by default). Right-click (ctrl-click) the com.spotify.client folder and move it to trash. Restart the application and the functions should be working again. It worked for me.

Jimil
Casual Listener

Hi, mine works for about 20seconds of a song playing then quits. I'm on windows 8, so not sure how you get a run command prompt. Any help much needed.

Peter__
Community Legend
Using super (the windows key on the keyboard) + r should open a run prompt on most versions of Windows.

Peter

Jimil
Casual Listener

Cheers this helps alot. I've just heard the first song from start to finish thanks

I take it I have to repeat this everytime I want to use spotify?

Peter__
Community Legend
Until they fix the issue it would be sensible yes! 😉

Peter

groovejunky
Casual Listener

Hi Peter

No, the 'cut and paste commend" of the below into the Start /Run area of Windows does not make any difference. Guess I'll just have to suck it up that I pay my premium instalment of $11.99 a month and Spotify only works properly on my mobile devices, eating up my mobile data plans - I'd much prefer to be using it on wifi (not always possible) or on my PC (unlimited data).

A

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

snowfall
Regular

Hi, I am paying the Premium and get mine to work because I just tried the lasted update.  Why do I pay for this service?

mevestatney
Casual Listener

I'm running into the same issue on my Windows 7 machine. I've had it working for a few minutes and then it will close, but most recently, it closes immediately after opening. This is after an uninstall and fresh install. Version is 0.9.4.185.g7545a404 (I think. I was able to get it down after multiple closings and reopenings of the program. Ha!).

Thanks!

Peter__
Community Legend

@mevestatney - Would it be possible to try logging into another account to see if that causes a crash? 

Peter

Peter

mevestatney
Casual Listener

@Peter, I don't have another Spotify account, and the app is never open long enough for me to log out of the account that is automatically logged in.

Thanks!

Peter__
Community Legend

If you guys are using Windows, can you try launching Spotify from a command line using:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

If you aren't familiar with how to do this, easiest way is:

- Press Start.

- Type "run" and hit return. You should get a little "Run" dialogue.

- As long as your Spotify is installed in the default location, copy and paste the command above into the box (clear whatever is in it first).

- Press OK. Spotify should launch.

And see if the client will start online? 

Peter

Edit: Adding steps

Peter

crude_things
Casual Listener

this did not work at all & i have reinstalled 2x now..

LordBiowalker

Hey, for some reason this is not working for me. I still have the Dark Green Screen. It used to work for me all the time, but now all of a sudden it doesn't.

SUGGESTED POSTS