Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify replacing my local files with its own version???

Spotify replacing my local files with its own version???

Spotify is replacing my local files with Spotify's own version.  I don't want this as these are different version/mixes of the sonds that I am trying to listen to... How can I stop this?

7 Replies

Hey @Cazzy!

After doing some research I found the following quote:

"Spotify checks the track title and will search for a match. If found it will use the version on the...

So basically, you could just rename it to something different that can't be recognized and you should be fine!

Try it out and let me know how it goes!

Thank you Ok, so that will fix the problem but:

1) I don't know how to change ID3 tags

2) That's ridiculous as I won't know which song is which if I have to give it a unique name

I have already named some of the songs differently e.g. 'Rubber Ring' = 'Rubber Ring Vinyl 2017 new release' yet Spotify still uses it's own version.

Ok so, I can't give you a tool on how to edit ID3 tags... I've already verified that a simple Google search "change ID3 tags" will help you. 

Just for you to know ID3 is a metadata container most often used in the MP3 audio file format. It allows information such as the title, artist, album, track number, and other information about the file to be stored in the file itself.

You can try to give unique names like "morrisey ring"... Unfortunately Spotify will replace the song with its own version if the metadata is or is almost the same.

Let me know what else I can do for you!

Hello @Cazzy,

Spotify does not have a feature to update ID3 tags, however, you can do this via a program such as iTunes.

I will do some simple steps bellow, this should get you going in no time!

1. In the file browser, right-click on the song you wish to update.
  2. Click on 'Open with' -> 'iTunes'
  3. In iTunes, right-click on the song and click on 'Get Info'
  4. Update the song name to one you wish to use

Regarding it being replaced, this is a feature wich Spotify offers, I understand you do not like this, what I will do for you is escalate this further and I will keep you updated with any response 🙂

I hope this has helped and have a nice day! 🙂

https://open.spotify.com/track/6JWddKPdqvDc2WkPEi9grC

Hello @Cazzy!

Please can you confirm you have followed these steps: https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/collect_music/listen-to-local-files/

Thanks!

-Thomas

Yes I have

Thanks

Hello @Cazzy!

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the late reply. There were some issues backstage with the escalation. 

The moderators think there could be some issue with the account here. Please contact Support about this issue, you can do this via Twitter (@SpotifyCares) or on the online contact form. They can have a closer look into this issue and may be able to fix it 🙂

I hope this helps.

-Thomas

Suggested posts