Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Windows 10 Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My Spotify simply won't work. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, I've tried several of the "fixes" on the forum before posting this and nothing's worked. Whenever I try to play a song, it selects it but doesn't play. Stuck at the 0 second mark. It's frustrating because I'm playing for premium but I've had to use YouTube because of the Spotify app being broken. Is there actually any fix for this? Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Sorry to Necro an old post but I've found the fix of the problem. As soon as I did this, Spotify burst into life playing music after doing this

Simply go to your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory,

copy the hosts file to your desktop,

open it with notepad,

delete any entry having to do with spotify,

save and replace the file in the directory above.

It'll be a bit finicky due to the hosts file being in a directory of System32 but as long as you're careful, it'll be fine. Let me know if this works for others and I'll accpet this as a solution
EDIT: Apparently Spotify has released a patch for this issue so make sure your Spotify Clients are up to date!

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Since when you have this problem? Did you change your version of Adobe Flash or anything else? I've the same problem, it started the last weekend and I don't know how to chage it.

I'm having the same issue.  It has been happening since Monday.

Every time I try to play a track, it acts like it is starting to play, and then stops after 0-1 seconds.  It gives me the blue error at the top that Spotify can't play this track right now, etc.

My account works fine on my Android phone, but it will not play any tracks from the desktop app on a Windows 10 PC.  I have tried the various fixes suggested on here, such as checking audio/playback settings, restarting my PC, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc.  Nothing works.

I get a similiar issue but without the blue bar error. Sometimes its an entire album and sometimes it is some songs. None of the track metadata displays (song name, album title, artwork, etc.). Just started happening about a week or two ago.

Same problem here 😞

I've got the same as you actually. My Android phone plays music without fail but as soon as my Desktop tries, it's immediately a no from the app. Perhaps the app updated and broke it's compatibility with Windows 10, or vise versa, might of been Windows. Won't know unless Spotfiy themselves release something about it. I'm glad it's not just me though!

I have this issue too.

I started having problems with some tracks in my PC (never a problem on my phone).

Due to that I re-installed spotify and now I can't play any song at all in the pc (Windows 10 pro, all updates installed).

I've downloaded spotify from spotify web and windows app store.

I have exactly the same issue, but it has been going on for months. Once I uninstalled and deleted every temporary file and it worked for two weeks, but then back again to trying to play songs that don't work, or having them hit 0.07 seconds and stop. Sometimes my playlists don't load even. I'm also paying for Premium, family plan, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with that. On the phone works perfectly.

Just typing in here to see if you get an answer and we all can solve our issues.

i have the same problem buddy

Same issue. Have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared cache, etc. starts playing a song for .1 seconds then skips to the next etc. turned off all high quality streaming options, still nothing. I just want to listen to music during work and it's just not happening. Tried updating internet connection, also did not work. It seemed to only want to play music that was saved to the computer, that makes me think it's an internet connection issue. However, I can see what my friends are listening to right at this moment; how is that possible with poor internet. I don't know what the issue is but I'm not happy.... 

This issue is getting irritating. I use my PC daily, every time it starts up, I try and click play on Spotify in hopes it works, and nothing. If there isn't an update or a fix for it, before I'm charged again, I'm just gonna cancel my plan. There's no point paying for a service that doesn't work whatsoever.

Yeah, mine still doesn't work either.  Going on 2 weeks of being unable to play music on my desktop at work, which is where I use Spotify the most.

I'm also on the verge of cancelling my subscription, because why should I pay for a service I can't use properly?

I've done two things that helped so far:

1- started listening the web service of Spotify (this works for me) until they fix the app.

2- contacted spotify cares in twitter, they replied quite quickly, hopefully a fix is on the way.

Marked as solution

Sorry to Necro an old post but I've found the fix of the problem. As soon as I did this, Spotify burst into life playing music after doing this

Simply go to your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory,

copy the hosts file to your desktop,

open it with notepad,

delete any entry having to do with spotify,

save and replace the file in the directory above.

It'll be a bit finicky due to the hosts file being in a directory of System32 but as long as you're careful, it'll be fine. Let me know if this works for others and I'll accpet this as a solution
EDIT: Apparently Spotify has released a patch for this issue so make sure your Spotify Clients are up to date!

FYI

Spotify had an update this weekend that fixed this problem, at least for me. So, try to update your client to know if this work for you.

Been having this problem for 2 weeks now.

What is it? How do I fix this? It's flippen annoying. Having to use YouTube when working on my PC. When will this problem be fixed, Spotify???

JamieVonJamJar This was the only thing that fixed it for me, been trying everything for weeks. Thank you.

Hey all! We're currently aware of this issue and are investigating it. If you subscribe to the following Ongoing Issue, we'll keep you up-to-date. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/quot-Spotify-can-t-play-this-right-now-quot-Songs-st... Let us know if you have further questions. Have a nice day.

Sorry, this isn't solving it for me.

you saved my life, i'm really thankful, you helped me so much and i've tried for month to fix the problem and you solved it.

Suggested posts