Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify still closes without warning

Spotify still closes without warning

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Spotify Premium, USA, Acer laptop, Windows 10, 6 GB memory, Intel Core i3 cpu.  Like others, I'm experiencing Spotify crashing and closing without warning after playing anywhere between one and three songs.  No error messages, nothing, it just stops playing and closes itself, usually in mid-track.  I haven't been near the computer when this happens, haven't clicked a different playlist, haven't run Search, nothing; it's running perfectly well all by itself, and then stops and closes itself.  I've uninstalled it, rebooted, downloaded a fresh copy and re-installed, several times, all without effect.  I've run anti-virus scans with both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes, with nothing found and no effect.  What's next to try?

3 Replies

Hey there @123478350!

Thanks for letting us all the steps you've tried so far. 

Next up we can suggest that you try updating your computer's drives to make sure you have the latest version.

It's also worth trying to disable hardware acceleration in the app:

1. Click Edit in the menu bar. Select Preferences.

2. Scroll down and uncheck Hardware acceleration.

3. Restart Spotify.

Lastly, you can try to run Spotify on Safe Mode. In case the issue persists, it'd be great if you could tell us your Spotify version and if this also happens on the web player. 

We hope this helps.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Elena,

Thanks for the response; my apologies for the delay in replying.  By "updating your computer's drives" do you mean to check the disk drive drivers?  I let Microsoft install all Windows updates they send me.

I need to contact the Geek Squad to check out the PC as I've noticed it becoming sluggish and frequently running at 100% disk capacity.  Would this impact Spotify?  I would expect it to slow down or interrupt the music stream, but not to close the application as happens at the moment.

Following on-line suggestions on 100% disk usage I've already disabled Windows Search, Sysmain and SuperFetch without affecting the problem, hence my need for the Geek Squad.  I'll recheck Spotify after I've worked with them, as this computer is used only for managing my music playing.  In the meantime I'd like to keep this ticket open, if I may.

Best regards

Jon

Hey @123478350,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

If the computer is running at 100% it may have an impact in Spotify's performance.

While you look into it, you can also try heading to the app's settings > turn Show Local Files on > toggle off all the sources that appear there > turn Show Local Files back off > restart the app.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts