Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

Solved!

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

About a couple days ago my spotify decided it wasn't going to open. I click on the application, it bounces up and down but doesn't open. when I right click it, it comes up with 'application not responding'. I've just tried removing it and reinstalling it. the box with spotify in it appears and the spotify icon comes up again but still doesn't open. How can i fix this?

217 Replies

I am experiencing pretty much the same problem as everyone else. A few days ago Spotify shut down all of a sudden and after that I haven't been able to open it at all. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times but it still won't work. After trying the turn off wi-fi thing it opens, but shuts down again after only one song. Not my idea of fun having to open Spotify once every 3rd minutes...

I would really like to know what is being done to solve this problem, and when it is expected to be solved? Not only because we are paying for Spotify, but also because it sucks not having any music.

I am using a MacBook, OSX 10.6.8.

I am having the same problem as already explained here - the full version. Bouncing icon, not opening at all, turning off/turning on again my mac (Version 10.6.8) Turning off the internet - uninstall and reinstall, trying to reinstall spotify while being disconnected to the internet. So far nothing worked. I am a paying member and would love to listen to music again.

I'm having the same issue ---I just restarted Spotify for latest version and now it will not install / work ...     get stuck and APP NOT RESPONDING ...  

😞  I'll just have to listen via my phone until new update resolves?

MAC OSX 10.6.8

I don't have WIFI on --- 🙂    and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Have you guys tried one of the older clients to see if that works? THere are instructions on installing 8.5 a few posts in this thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Mac-Important-info-for-Mac-10-5-users/td-...

I'm having the same problem using Mac OS 10.6.8. It seems a number of us are having this problem. I'd rather not install an older version. Can you guys do something about this as it's more than just a few? I've tried all the steps suggested on the FAQ, not working.

Thanks

Hey guys - I'm following up on this as we speak.

Soon as I have an update I'll post again here. Thanks!

Meredith:

1. you're awesome, thanks!
  2. installing old version does not work for me (again, 10.6.8, no wi-fi turned on, etc.)

Same problem, been like this for several days now, think it's about time it got fixed, being a paying customer and all that.

same problem. spotify worked fine until the "wanna try the new version of spotify? just click to restart" thing showed up. It closed spotify, presumably updated it, and tried to reopen. The icon is unresponsive, it says "app not responding", and I have to force quit it. When I try to open it the same problem occurs. Nothing opens, have to force quit unresponsive app.

please fix this soon, I'm huge on music, a student in radio, and pay relatively a lot for your usually awesome music service.

thanks a buttload!

Encountered this same problem today after a bad crash mid-song.  Since support docs say to uninstall first, I had to leave wifi on for the installer to download and then turn it off once the app opens, but that did the trick.  Frustrating.

OSX 10.6.8

Any news? Been 2 days without spotify on my Mac... starting to be annoying already since we pay for something...

Same deal here, Spotify hasn't been working on my Mac desktop 10.6.8 for about 3 days. Really getting frustrating, I've tried all the reinstall tricks, and nothing has worked for me. All I want is to be able to listen to my music again 😞

Does the web player play.spotify.com work on Mac OS X 10.6 (if available to you since its only available in certain countries currently)? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

yes, the web player works. It is obviously an application related problem, as you can see from the start up console logs I posted, and from what I am guessing its a problem with playlist  sync.. I have many playlists (around 10 ) that I am foillowing and the log messages show partial deadlocks while the application is trying to sync the playlists for changes.

HTH

s

Hi everyone! The next troubleshooting step you should all take is a clean reinstallation.

That way you can be sure to be on our latest version (0.9.0.133). If you're still having trouble on that update let me know right here. 

Thanks!

Yep. Worked for me. Something about the auto update does not work for my machine.  Never loaded up fully, was slow and crashed. So I did the uninstall from control panel, then did maintenance clean, then did a search for remaining files and folders of spotify. Found none (last time it found a small swarm). Then not seeing the newest update at filehorse I tried the install from spotify and it fortunately worked this time. Clean install works better then using the butting to autoinstall by restarting spotify.

Acer netbook windows XP

I'm afraid it didn't work again. I've tried this process three times now over the past few days. Each time the bouncing, green Spotify ball bounces for about a minute and then comes to a resting position. The app installer box is still visible, but the app will not launch.

@Melot wrote:

I'm afraid it didn't work again. I've tried this process three times now over the past few days. Each time the bouncing, green Spotify ball bounces for about a minute and then comes to a resting position. The app installer box is still visible, but the app will not launch.

Hey Melot - I'm sending you a DM right now. Keep an eye on your Community inbox for me. Thanks!

The clean reinstall didn't work for me either. I followed the steps, however I did not have either of the Library files to delete, they simply weren't there. The installer downloads, runs, but then the Spotify app icon bounces for a minute and then just stops. But nothing pops up, and if I Control Click the app icon, it says "application not responding."

Max OS X 10.6.8

Premium user

Suggested posts