Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

Solved!

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

About a couple days ago my spotify decided it wasn't going to open. I click on the application, it bounces up and down but doesn't open. when I right click it, it comes up with 'application not responding'. I've just tried removing it and reinstalling it. the box with spotify in it appears and the spotify icon comes up again but still doesn't open. How can i fix this?

217 Replies

Tried this without success. Problems started when I upgraded Spotify this morning. Currently running MAC OS 10.6.8. Had no problems until upgrading to latest Spotify Desktop version. Now can't even successfully download Spotify.

I'm new to Spotify and just got this issue today, and wanted to add my situation as another data point if the issue is still being researched.  Like others, things were working fine and then Spotify crashed without error.  The process was also gone from the task manager.  When I tried to relaunch, I breifly see the login screen before it disappears. The spotify.exe process continues to remain in my task manager for about a minute before ending itself, as does the system tray icon.

This is on my Windows 7 64bit system.  Spotify 0.9.1.53.g876fa9df

I have not yet tried all the cache clearing and reinstalling repair suggestions yet but will give them a shot.  I have a feeling that this has something to do with the current content that the Discover tab is trying to load, since that's what would first load after a successful login.  I have a friend that recently started following me, which I got an email notification for.  If I click the link to View Profile from the email, Spotify will open successfully.  I think this is because something other than the Discover page is launching.  Once I have Spotify opened, it will crash again if I switch to the Discover tab.

Hi user3345 - Please try a quick clean reinstallation and let us know if that issues keeps happening. We can keep troubleshooting from there--thanks!

Hi @Meredith, I did the clean reinstallation and Spotify continues not working at all. I have a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.8.4 and you can see the Spotify version on the image attached. Thanks for your help

spotify.jpg

I am having the same problem spotify opens and then shuts down right after...if I turn off wifi it stays open but I cant do anything then I turn wifi back on and it just closes..I am running 10.8.4. I just did a clean erase and reinstall of my operating system to rule out software issue other then spotify app. I then redownloaded and ran all updates on my computer and still no resolve same issue persists. Please help this has been going on for over a week and I am paying for premium. Why is there no phone support or anything for this. attached is a screen shot of my spotify verison 

UPDATE: I completely removed spotify again and found a link to download a older verison and that seemed to work fine. In conclusion there is a problem with the current version and I isolated it by doing a complete erase of my hard drive and reinstalling the OS 10.8.4 and fully updated flash and java and was still not able to run the current version after a clean download and install of it. It has to be something in the current version that is unstable.

Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 12.40.07 AM.png

Piling on here. I'm running 10.8.4 on a 2010 MacBook Pro. Spotify worked fine until a few months ago, now after the login screen disappears, nothing happens. When I open the Force Quit dialogue, Spotify is "Not Responding".

Yep, I've done a clean reinstall.

Any ideas? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

EDIT: FWIW, did a clean reinstall with the latest version. Thanks.

The files  in the LIbrary folders are not there

I looked for it on my Mac running the latest version of OSX 10.8

It started the begining of last week, first on one mac, then it got to all the 3 Mac I have.

Impossible to access any menu of the App

Please let us know how you can fix this problem

Capture d’écran 2013-08-13 à 20.51.26.png

The screenshot shows that you have spotify in offline mode. Does it work it you put it online?

@mrpinguin wrote:

The files  in the LIbrary folders are not there

I looked for it on my Mac running the latest version of OSX 10.8

It started the begining of last week, first on one mac, then it got to all the 3 Mac I have.

Impossible to access any menu of the App

Please let us know how you can fix this problem

I can't access any menu of Spotify, 

it's OffLine because it's not even connecting when launching

@mrpinguin wrote:

I can't access any menu of Spotify, 

it's OffLine because it's not even connecting when launching

Hey 🙂 

Try following all of the steps here and they should hopefully get you back online. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

The thing is...

~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
~/Library/Application Support/Spotify

They are not on the computer anymore ^^

Those folders are normally hidden to protect us.

Still don't find it 

I did the command in Terminal app, and all the folders and files that were hidden appeared, but did not find anything regarding spotify

Meredith

I am having the same issue, albeit a tiny bit more complicated. I followed your reinstall but still have no connection button appearing. I am on an IMAC running 10.6.8 . My normal internet connection is through a Linksys router however I have an airport express hardwired into my stereo so I can play music over my speakers. Airport Express is part of the Linksys network so that I can play music and surf the web simultaneously. Is this an instance where Spotify needs to look for the Airport express ? And if so, how do I do that? And then wouldn't I need to still see the connect button in any event? Lastly, I am not Premium do I need to be? Thanks, Hebephrene

@user-removed - This is quite an old topic, would you be able to let us know what issue you are having exactly?

Peter

Peter, 

Thanks, I would. I am using an Imac running 10.6.8 and the connect button is not appearing on the Spotify page. I love the service and yet have not signed up for Premium (which may or may not contribute to my problem). My internet connection is through a linksys router but I have an Apple Airport Express on the same network that uses its stereo jack to send my music through the amp/speakers etc. I want to play Spotify over my speakers and don't seem to have that option. The default setting is my Linksys router. I am hoping that if I could get Spotify to recognize the Apple express I could play my music the way I would like to. Does that help? (I did the re-install but no connection button appeared). Thanks, Hebephrene

I'm not overly familiar with Macs, are you following the steps on this help page

Peter

I am also having problems with Spotify suddenly not opening anymore in OS 10.6.8. When I click on the application it bounces twice and if I'm lucky it might open for one or two seconds before quitting. 

I have tried deinstalling and reinstalling to no avail.  

I have followed the instructions to delete these files from my Library in addition to the Spotify application itself before reinstalling:

~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
~/Library/Application Support/Spotify

But I do not even have either of those files to delete. 

I do not use wifi on my desktop but I tried disconnecting it from the internet, as previous threads suggested. Then I just get an error message saying "download failed." Once I managed to disconnect the internet while it was open and it did stay open, although blank and unusable. When I plugged the cable back in and it started to load the online content, it quit on me.

Are there any other tips or tricks I might try? 

You should definitely have those folders or something similar as far as I know but they are most likely hidden. "Download failed" would make it sound like the client is trying to auto-update though.

Can you start Spotify from the console and see if any error messages get printed?
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-Crashes-when-Adding-music-to-Play...

Peter

Not sure if I'm reading it corrrectly, but these two lines popped up in red:

18:05:53.056 E [watchdog.cpp:191                ] The deadlock was a lie! (gui, 4542)

18:05:54.272 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:1477 ] ChannelError(23, 1, get_wallet)

Suggested posts