Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SpotifyWebHelper has stopped working

Solved!

SpotifyWebHelper has stopped working

Everyday, I get this error message about 12 times everyday and it's very annoying... Is there anyway to fix this or stop it from coming up?

SpotifyWebHelper

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	SpotifyWebHelper.exe
  Application Version:	0.9.15.27
  Application Timestamp:	54803b75
  Fault Module Name:	SpotifyWebHelper.exe
  Fault Module Version:	0.9.15.27
  Fault Module Timestamp:	54803b75
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00012397
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	3081
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

I had this same problems until a few minutes ago. I had that same message everyday when I started the computer and everytime I launched the Spotify (5 or more times in less than a minute until it stopped). I even deleted the darn thing...I found the .exe and I deleted it.... but it was a mistake. When I launched the Spotify, I coulnd't see the explorer (it worked, but not properly).

I am using Microsoft Windows Essentials as a "security" software and I realized that if I desactivated the "Real Time Protection" of the Essentials the message didn't pop up. 

My solution was to set up the Essential to exclude the process Spotifywebhelper.exe of the everyday virus exam. Like someone said here, this is a problem with our firewalls or anti-virus.

Hope this can help you guys.

Sorry for my English!

Cheers!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I have this problem too and i solved it by adding spotifywebhelper.exe in the list of program of the windows firewall (sorry for my english)

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Hello: By chance do you have a third party firewall or some security software shutting down the spotifywebhelper maybe? That is all I can think of at the moment.

The only "security" program I have installed on my computer is Avast! Antivirus.

I do have this Logitech G510 applet installed that accesses Spotify - http://www.g15-applets.de/spotify-applet-t8443.html

Anyway to temporarily disable it for a short time just to eliminate as a possible issue?

The crash seems random. I've been dealing with this issue of late, too.

Also, considering the fact that it's impossible to force the problem, asking someone to run without security software is asking a bit much. It would be different if the problem could be reproduced on-demand.

Hello: What is you system and app version you are currently using?

Win 7 (x64) w/ 12GB of RAM and all available updates installed. Spotify version is 0.9.15.27.g87efe634

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to try a clean uninstall, remove all folders and files associated with spotify, shut the system down, restart, and reinstall from the full installer from here http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe?_ga=1.186674219.2066049722.1408173710

report back and let us know if this works.

Marked as solution

Hello,

I had this same problems until a few minutes ago. I had that same message everyday when I started the computer and everytime I launched the Spotify (5 or more times in less than a minute until it stopped). I even deleted the darn thing...I found the .exe and I deleted it.... but it was a mistake. When I launched the Spotify, I coulnd't see the explorer (it worked, but not properly).

I am using Microsoft Windows Essentials as a "security" software and I realized that if I desactivated the "Real Time Protection" of the Essentials the message didn't pop up. 

My solution was to set up the Essential to exclude the process Spotifywebhelper.exe of the everyday virus exam. Like someone said here, this is a problem with our firewalls or anti-virus.

Hope this can help you guys.

Sorry for my English!

Cheers!

Can someone at Spotify please dig in and fix this crap?  It can't be that hard to reproduce.  It started two or three weeks ago and must be related to eother a Spotify update or a Windows update. Take a look at what's changed recently, dig in, and fix it!

@tsaker wrote:

Can someone at Spotify please dig in and fix this crap?  It can't be that hard to reproduce.  It started two or three weeks ago and must be related to eother a Spotify update or a Windows update. Take a look at what's changed recently, dig in, and fix it!

I tweeted with Spotify support and they recommended doing a full removal and then installing from scratch. I did earlier this morning and, knock on wood, no webhelper crashes so far. Make sure you delete the C:\%appdata%\roaming\spotify folder if the standard application removal process under Windows doesn't remove it for you, though, just to be sure.

Spoke too soon. Webhelper crashed on me once this morning. I've tweeted back to Spotify support. We'll see what they say...

Full reinstall does not help, got it crashing again as soon after I installed.

I've also done the full client reinstall, making sure to completely uninstall the client and delete the spotify folders from Program Files and %APPDATA%. I also added exclusions for the spotify.exe and spotifywebhelper.exe executables and processes to Windows Defender, which shouldn't be necessary, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting "SpotifyWebHelper has stopped working" crashes every few minutes. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64, just a standard out of the box install (all default settings).

This only started happening after the last spotify update to 0.9.15.27 a few weeks ago. I'm happy to capture a crash dump of the spotifywebhelper process if it would help you guys in isolating the issue.

Happens every second. As soon as I click to close the error, a new one pops up. I tried a full uninstall and re-install, and it still just fails. I've now resorted to just keeping the error minimized permanently so at least it doesn't pop on my screen all the time, but that's obviously not a solution. I'm on Windows 7, all up-to-date with latest releases and updates.

To Spotify, let me know if you need me to run a debug version or any other info you need, but please fix this, it's been getting worse over the past few releases, to now just happen continuously.  

Also I tried to whitelist the spotify processes in Microsoft Security Essentials, which also did not help.

It's possible to disable the "SpotifyWebHelper has stopped working" dialogs from being generated by the Windows Error Reporting service, by doing the following steps:

1. Launch Regedit.exe in the administrator context and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting

2. Right-click on Windows Error Reporting, go to New and select DWORD (32-bit) Value
3. Name the value: DontShowUI (exactly as written)
4. Double-click it and type in the number 1

All of the "has stopped working" dialogs will be hidden, but this is a global switch, which means you won't know if other processes are crashing. If you want re-enable the dialogs, change the value of DontShowUI to 0, or just delete the DontShowUI value.

FYI - This is not a fix, just a workaround for the popups being generated by the SpotifyWebHelper crashes

Thanks Gig, I'm a software developer, so I need those warnings on... thanks for the tip though... a bit like disabling the airbacks if the check engine light is on 🙂

Does anyone use Spotimote server by nodria?

Spotify support asked me to log onto the desktop Spotify app with a test account this morning. But, the spotifywebhelper.exe still crashed after logging on with that test account. I've notified them of it via Twitter. We'll see what they ask me to do next...

@AlvinKarpis - Yes I use Spotimote. Why do you ask?

Suggested posts