Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Surface Goes to Sleep

Surface Goes to Sleep

I've got a Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8.1) and very annoyingly it stops playing music everytime the screen goes to sleep, I'm sure the screen should just turn off without Spotify stopping as well. As soon as I wake it up Spotify resumes playing.

Is this a spotify issue or a Surface issue, I'm sure playing media should continue when the device goes to sleep?

Cheers,

John

81 Replies

Agreed that the solution is to correctly use the connected standby mode rather than expecting the user to prevent/disable it on a mobile (tablet) device. The whole purpose of connected standby is to enable things like background audio with the screen off to use a minimum amount of power; turning connected standby off so the whole system stays running at 100% is moving backward in capability, rather than pressing forward.

Spotify Team, can we get a comment on when if ever the Windows desktop app will be modernized to take advantage of the features of the current and previous versions of the OS? At the moment the Spotify desktop app is two versions behind in its API usage. How embarrassing.

Anyone from Spotify actually read these?  pretty simple solution, its in your hands

i'm seriously reconsidering my subscription to Spotify for my girlfriend and myself.  ive had multiple occasions when i have wanted to speak to someone at spotify with no info other than ask your peers in a forum.  customer support is a joke

The easiest way to "Work around" is to access the Windows Mobility Center (right click on the battery icon) then set the Presentation Settings to on and turn down the brightness.  On a full charge using WiFi and a bluetooth speaker in battery saver mode my Surface indicates over 7 hours remaining.

That's really not the point of the post. A workaround is okay, but it's not
like Spotify doesn't have the resources to implement this function on
Windows when it's implemented on iOS and Android. It doesn't matter that
it's a desktop OS, Microsoft is PROVIDING the functionality because they're
moving towards mobile. It works on Windows 10 on phones, why not when it
scales up? It's a bit of a joke at this point.

I absolutely agree that Spotify NEEDS TO FIX THIS NOW.  I see that this problem goes back to at least 2012 and we get fixes at least every two weeks.  My only point is that I have read many more complicated "work arounds" on this post and so wanted to throw an easier one into the mix.

I am so disappointed by Spotify's lack of usage of the powerfull options that Windows 10 offers... I hate to say it, but Microsoft's competitor IS designed to function while in sleep mode. I fear that spotify has been spending as little money as possible on its software back-end and it is 'too costly' to upgrade. That's ridiculous - you're the world-wide market leader in streaming music subscription services. If this will not be fixed, me and probably many others will switch to another party's software. I am a happy subscriber, but will change to a competitor if this does not changes. Update this app please, to a valid metro app. It should be easy, right?

>From what I'm told it's a VERY easy solution to implement, Spotify just
seems to be dragging their heels. This is becoming enough of an annoyance I
may end up switching to Groove anyway, since they have an Android app too
now.

I'm also amazed that no one is responding to this thread. I would continue using spotify when they would come up with a valid reason why they're not implementing this great Windows 10 feature.

I copied the link to this thread and sent it to spotify via their contact form. 

Awesome! I already stopped my subscription for spotify...

Do you guys know any means to switch spotify playlists to groove?

Have this problem as well on my Surface Studio. As soon as the screen turns off, Spotify pauses.

Pretty lame considering they put in the effort to support the new Surface Dial... 😐

Ah well, I'm pretty happy with Groove to be honest. Its user experience is better on my windows devices. Indeed, some bands don't have their albums on Groove. But hey, that forces me to get in touch with other artists ;D

Same here. This is pretty infuriating. Spotify's issue. In other forums, they seem to think Spotify isn't using the correct music API to allow their desktop app to continue playing when the Surface goes to sleep. Apparently, they haven't updated their API interactions since Windows 8. 

Wow that IS ridiculous. To be honest, Groove is great 😃 I really grew to adore it.

Completely agree with you

The premium sleeps too 😞

didn't work

What the actual f**k Spotify? Fix this issue, had surface 4 pro for 4 months now and the problem still exists. So annoying. I give a Groove a chance, since quite a few people suggested and it works with screen off. So you better get your **bleep** together Spotify.

This problem is two years old! Why doesn't Spotify fix it? It will take two minutes for your programmers. I wanted to switch to pro, but I won't till this is fixed. As many others here have sxpressed the same concern. 

PS. No the solution is not to change the sleep pattern of the computer because of an incompatible program. I need my computer to go to sleep when not in use. 

Suggested posts