Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

This content is not available for all songs

This content is not available for all songs

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

Dell laptop

Operating System

Windows 10 x64

My Question or Issue

I cant play any song directly from Spotify on my laptop. The only thing that works is to press the play button in an album. All songs are greyed out. Can't play any playlists. This problem started to occur just today. Logging off/on doesn't work, offline mode on/off doesnt work, reinstall doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

39 Replies

Hi @erik84_,

Thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear that you're having such an experience with the app.

We'd recommend running a clean reinstall of the app. Please follow the steps from this Spotify Guide exactly, as this will assure that all possibly corrupted app data is cleared completely, before reinstalling.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same issue that was posted yesterday - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Desktop-app-completey-unusable-every-song-says-quot... There are an increasing amount of people with the same problem as OP described, and "perform a clean install" isn't helping people.

After 2 days it just started working again out of the blue. No update of the app. It just happens to work again. The clean reinstall solution did not work.

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

@erik84_ We're happy to hear that the issue has been resolved for you!

@STRYFF3, can you confirm that you are still experiencing this behavior of the app? Can we ask you for screenshots or a short screen recording and also the exact troubleshooting steps you've taken until now, so we can advise you how to continue?

Meanwhile you could try to log in and log out twice in a row, as this is how the app forces a refresh and resynchronizes with your account. It sounds odd, but it does the trick most of the times.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator

Hitting this today. Spotify is not working for me. 'Content not available' for every song.

Same, logging out, restarting and logging in helped me.

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

@ollieSVK Glad to hear that you can play your favorite songs again.

@jannapolis Just to double-check-are there any changes after trying the steps mentioned in the thread?

Keep us in the loop.

Ver Moderator

This actually worked. Been dealing with this issue for quite some time

Thanks a lot

Hi @Dimansio,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

That's fantastic news! We're glad to see that everything works as it should for you 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Same,  neither logging out, restart and log in nor a clean reinstall worked

Hey @biyju2f63t16mhmzjal,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community!

It's actually worthwhile restarting the app twice in a row. This may sound odd but it's how the app does the refresh, so please check one more time if this will make a difference for you. 

Also make sure you're having a stable internet connection and that Offline mode is not being switched on for your app. More info on how to do that can be found here

If nothing of the above helps, please share with us the exact version of Spotify you're having, as well as screenshots and some details about your device (such as the make, model and OS version). 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator

I guess I have a stable connection because the web player worked just fine... And I tried to reinstall it AGAIN with a clean uninstallation, and it still not worked. Also checked hosts file and delete host settings for broadcast (no Spotify related settings, though), neither worked. Re login this time it reported I am using a firewall, so I turned off the VPN but still "This content is not available"... And I am not using offline mode because the control for it is closed (and no "offline mode" tips on the top of the app), but it does have reminders when I tried to switch from web player to "This computer"…

Current spotify version: Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.1.81.604.gccacfc8c

Current Mac version: Montery 12.1 (21C52)

Hey @biyju2f63t16mhmzjal!

You can try deleting the prefs file, which holds info about the currently logged in account to see if that does the trick:

1. Open Finder on your Mac and click Go > Library (if you don't have hidden folders enabled, press the option key first and it should appear).
  2. Go to Application Support > Spotify.
  3. There you'll find a file called prefs, which holds info about the currently logged in account. Simply delete it.. Simply delete the file.
  4. While in the Spotify folder, you should also find a Users folder. Open it and delete all its contents.
  5. Restart the Spotify app.

Note that you'll be logged out and your settings will be reset, so you'll have to adjust them again. If you had music downloaded for offline listening, you'll have to re-download it as well. Your library, however, will not be affected, so no worries there.

Let us know how it goes.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

No, still “the content is not available”

Hi again @biyju2f63t16mhmzjal,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you try switching to a different network? If possible, test with a hotspot from your phone to see if that'll do the trick. You can also try logging in to a friend's or a relative's account on your Mac to see if the issue is present there as well.

We'd also recommend checking the network settings and making sure Spotify's allowed to access it without any restrictions. If the issue persists, a short video which shows how things look on your end would be greatly appreciated.

Keep us posted!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling it on windows 10. and samsung s20fe

Still not working. It says This content is not available. Please help.

Spotify for Windows
1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

Hey there @bishika16

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this.

Just to cover all basis, we'd also recommend logging out and back in 2 tomes in a row to force a sync between your account and the device. If that doesn't do it for you, here are a few other things you can try:

• Make sure your sound drives are up to date.
  • Disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software that might be affecting the app, and turn off VPN if in use.
  • Try accessing the web player before re-attempting to log back in to the desktop client to see if that makes any difference.

Keep us in the loop here!

ElenaModerator

Same problem for me, tried everything and still says "This content is not available" on every single song

Hey there @Darrendog

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid any repeating steps.

On another, would you mind letting us know if this happens across devices or only on a specific one? 

Lastly, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts