Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume erratic on Windows while connected to Discord

Volume erratic on Windows while connected to Discord

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

HP Pavilion laptop ca 2014

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I am a writer and use music when I'm working. Recently during my writers group sessions (for which I use Discord), the volume has been going up and up and then down, seemingly at random, while connected to Discord (with the mic muted).

I've updated the Communications setting via the Control Panel > Sound Settings, to 'Do Nothing' for when Windows detects any communication software on, and disabled volume normalisation within Spotify settings. 

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app itself, but the problem has persisted. 

Is there something else I should be trying? Is this perhaps a known glitch? I haven't found any other similar forum topics, so apologies if this has been covered and I missed it in my search. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 Replies

Hey @darthjuno,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Seems like another user found a solution to a similar issue by double-checking the discord-related integrations on the device. For further info regarding this, it'd be good to take a look here and, eventually, reach out to the right team using the Need More Support? button at the bottom of the page.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mario,

The thread you've linked me to seems to have been about a different kind of issue and on a different type of device/OS to mine. Also they don't explain what they did to check the 'integrations' of Discord (whatever that means) - I have checked my settings on all fronts and everything is set to not interfering with each other, but the issue persists.

I've also noticed it only really happens when headphones are plugged in, as opposed to using my laptop speakers. This may not be a Discord problem after all, but I can't figure out where the issue is rooted.

Do point me to the right section, I thought posting in the Windows desktop section was right 😅

Hey @darthjuno,

Thank for keeping us in the loop!

Sorry to hear that the suggested thread wasn't helpful in the end. Since you've experienced the issue when your headphones are plugged in (as opposed to when you're listening on your laptop speakers) would you mind double-checking you set (or setting, if you haven't already) your headphones as the default audio device on Windows? To do so: 

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, then select it from the results.
  2. Select Hardware and Sound from the Control Panel, and then select Sound.
  3. On the Playback tab, right-click the listing for your audio device, select Set as Default Device, and then select OK.

Hopefully this helps replicating the same optimal conditions you have when listening with the default laptop speakers. Let us know how it goes. We'll be here if we can help any further 🙂

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts