Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Desktop PC, Alexa

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When hearing music every 5-10min the volume randomly jumps to 0. The song keeps playing but muted. It only happens on my PC and the Alexa skill - the mobile app does work properly. Anyone an idea why?

7 Replies

I have this too, and I found out it's because of my phone. For some reason spotify tries to sync audio between devices, so if your phone is muted then spotify on desktop will try to mute itself, but not vice versa. To fix it I just force stopped spotify on my phone and it fixes the problem until you open it again.

Hello,

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet but I would recommend checking for any pending Windows Updates and update them. What happens if you shut down your computer, unplug your peripherals (mice, keyboard, etc.), boot up, plug-in a different keyboard and try starting a song again? 

I ask this because it is common for peripherals to cause certain applications to behave in an unexpected manner if the peripheral is experiencing issues. 

Just some extra troubleshooting steps you might try 🙂

+1 I have this same problem and doing this usually works. Too bad there's no permanent solution as I have tried reinstalling the app on desktop as well.

It really seems like it's the phone after all. I found out it jumps to mute on my Desktop/Alexa as soon as I close the app on my phone. Just with a short delay. Wouldn't be surprised if other background actions on my phone trigger it as well.

I'm gonna try how Spotify behaves when the app is closed all the time. I'll let you know^^ But thanks for now

Just to clarify .. this isn't mute, but zero. Mute if you click the speaker icon in the desktop app would show the Speaker icon with a little x on it.

Also, if you have multiple monitors and can keep it the desktop app visible in your periphery, immediately upon hearing the sound go out, look and see if the icon next to speaker (the available devices icon) has a sudden dot on it.

I've been dealing with this problem for the past 12 hours this morning .. have done nearly everything short of uninstall/reinstall (don't want to have to redownload my off line content) and what I've seen happen is the little blue dot show up just as soon as the volume drops to 0, and then the dot goes away.

The dot doesn't always accompany a volume drop, but nearly every time I have had a drop, the icon didn't show the blue dot before, then does, as if suddenly either the program or an update from spotify servers, triggers the "hey theres devices out here ... "

As part of my trouble shooting so far .. signed out from the desktop app, closed opened and signed back in, had no issue for about 2 hours, then it started again. Tried the "sign out everywhere" from the account option on the web site. Removed all of my "off line devices" from the website option.

Theres no correlated time for it to happen, no "every XX minutes and yy seconds" or similar. Though I'd like to see if people would get onto chat, and hit a buzzer or post note the second it happens to them to see if others have it happen at nearly the same time, either same account (family plan) or just a bunch of people you may know that have the problem .. etc..

I have the same problem. If I turn the volume back up on my phone, it also turns it up on the PC.

What annoys me though is the fact that the app just starts on it's own on my phone, and then turns volume down because I have media volume turned off.

@TreborG2 : Good point. It has something to do with pairing with other devices. Whenever my Desktop App finds my phone, the blue dot appears for a brief moment then volume jumps to zero. This especially happens when I either start or close the app on my phone. As long as I don't start it again I haven't got any issues.

Maybe reinstalling the mobile app would help. But then I don't want to redownload every song^^

Suggested posts