Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume slider lag

Volume slider lag

For about 4 months now whenever I use my main playlist the volume slider lags.

Things I know and tried:

• Reinstalling.
  • This only happens with large playlists (currently 1,124 tracks).
  • Using different OS's (Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1) and all have the same problem. 
  • This happens with all the songs downloaded or not downloaded. 
  • It is not my computers hardware capabilities (gaming rig). 
  • I update whenever its avalible. 
  • Tried toggeling hardware accelaration and other settings.
  • Tried installing different sound drivers. 
  • It's not my internet speed as I have fiber (74Mbps down 18Mbps up).
  • My current version is: 0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c 

Here is a video of the issue (Sorry about the mouse pointer not being visible) 

A solution would be greatly appricated since this has been bothering me and other users for a couple months now. 

12 Replies

The issue is, it this issue only seems to effect a small number of people and no matter how hard I try I can't replicate the issue which makes tracking down a cause tricky.

I've got 7 systems and none of them seem to experience this even with 10,000 track playlists.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Is there any information I could provide to you that might aid your investigation? Heres a couple things off the top of my head: 

Screen resolution: 1360 x 768 

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro (although issue did also appear on win 7, it was the same machine but a clean install on new HDD) 

Activity feed: off 

Playlist in which issues arrise have grayed out tracks that have been removed from Spotify 

Playlist also includes grayed otu tracks which used to be local songs 

Large now playing artwork: on and artwork dragged to maximum size

Settings: http://imgur.com/a/SGFiH

PC specifications: http://i.imgur.com/hljnPfY.png 

Happens to me as well. 

Playlist with 650+ tracks makes the volume slider lag like crazy.
Until now i had not realized small playlists made it behave normally since i usually play from the large ones.

Windows8.1 Pro, latest spotify version.

If it matters, my large playlist is old - from 2009 - it has local(and missing) files on multiple harddrives, and several unavailable tracks.

Also the same issue on other computers playing the same playlist.

Let me know if there is anything i can do to help debug the issue. Can also send a URI to a playlist that makes this happen in a PM if thats helpful.

Edit: It also does not matter what playlist is showing in the "main window area" as long as a song from a large playlist is playing the slider will lag.

Equalify developer/owner

Raising this an issue with Spotify to see what they say.

Peter

Hey guys! Just to double check, when you did the clean reinstallation did you follow all the steps outlined on our website? 

Could you both confirm which versions you're currently using? 

That wasn't needed due to me having formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows. 🙂 

I'm having the exact same issue.

Grayed out not now avalible songs and missing local files are in this list.

Also lags on a big list with no grayed out songs.

My smaller lists work fine.

Specs:

Core i5-2400

Z68 Motherboard

NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti

8GB DDR3 1333MHz Cl 9

2 HDDs in software mirroring

1 SSD with OS and Spotify.

Full clean install has been completed.

Newest spotify:

Old spotify: (Yes I downgraded and boy is it nice to have the star button back!)

Hello,

I've checked the Spotify process and each time I move the volume control the IO rate jumps. Also, the main process thread goes to the max of a single CPU (I have a 4 core with 8 threads CPU, hence 100 / 8 = 12,5). One of the SpotifyHelper instances will increase CPU rate and Delta Cycles.

It seems the volume control triggers IO between processes: the main Spotify process and one of the SpotifyHelper processes, the time for the SpotifyHelper to "answer" is what seems to cause the lag.

During the ads breaks the volume control behaves as expected (it is responsive).

All the best,

Pedro

Do we all scrobble to Last.FM?

Hello again,

I've done some more research and it seems that the Spotify process is trying to read the registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\APL" and the result is "NOT FOUND".

All the best,

Pedro

Thanks for the reports so far guys, just so this gets a little more coverage from Spotify, I have made a bugs topic for it here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Bugs/Desktop-Volume-Slider-Lag/td-p/905257

In line with community policy, I am going to lock this topic for the time being, there is a link to this topic in the new bugs topic so no need to report any of the discussion here. That being said, if you come across any more useful information please add it over on the bugs topic! 

Thanks! 🙂 

Peter

Suggested posts