Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What does the the plus and the tick signs mean on the new spotify layout?

What does the the plus and the tick signs mean on the new spotify layout?

What does the the plus and the tick signs mean on the new spotify layout? Is it obvious? ive been trying to work it out and i cant seem to understand what they mean. 

Bring back the old layout. It was much easier and quicker to use.

30 Replies

If you tick it it means that the song has been saved and will appear in the "Your Music" section. I think it's trying to be an improved version of the stared function. 

The 'your music' section is supposed to replace your downloaded library as a database of all the music you like, 

This is because alot of users find it overwhelming to choose from any song in the world, 

they find it easier to have a collection to choose from

So is the starred function no longer?

@CrescentWind wrote:

So is the starred function no longer?

You can still add music to your starred playlist by right clicking on the and selecting add to playlist> starred

Personally, 

I still use the starred playlist, because it's my master playlist

and if I save a ton of tracks to 'my music' I dont want them to all take up my mobile data

Hope this helps, 

John

Thanks for this clarification, this was really confusing me too.

But I still don't understand the difference between "your music" playlist and the starred playlist, as was....?

~Quirky

And another question... does anyone know how you add the music in your starred playlist into the "your music" part?

If I try and tick the music in my starred list, it only has a choice of + or x, but no tick!

~Quirky

I noticed there's a new FAQ here on Your Music and one on starring here.

So, do I understand correctly, that if I play music from the "Your Music" section, it downloads it to my phone? It no longer streams it?

If you play any music on your mobile it will stream as in the past unless you decide to make it available offline. You can now make music available offline from playlists as before, Artists and Albums.

mandilbn - This isn't the case at all. Unless tracks are synced, they will be streamed as usual.
--------------------------------------------------------------

For Twitter support, find us at @SpotifyCares.

Follow me on Spotify.

@Jamie wrote:
mandilbn - This isn't the case at all. Unless tracks are synced, they will be streamed as usual.
Then what was John talking about on page one when he referenced mobile data?
Then I don't understand what the point of Your Music is, with starred still available.

I feel the same.......what is the point of Your Music over starred??

@mandilbn wrote:

@Jamie wrote:
Then what was John talking about on page one when he referenced mobile data?

Then I don't understand what the point of Your Music is, with starred still available.

Hi,

I posted the message below to another discussion. Someone asked me to add it here, as it is more relevant to this discussion than it was to the other one. Although it looks like most people here already figured these things out, I figured I would still post it:

"Actually, you can see which songs you've saved when you're on an artists page. Just hover over a song and if a little check mark pops up where the length of the song was (far right), then it means you saved the song to your library of songs. If there is a plus sign, then it means you haven't saved it and if you click; clicking on the plus sign will save the song. If there is an "X", clicking on that will remove the song from your library. Kind of a pain because the stars were obviously much easier to see, but doing it this way doesn't take that long. The only way I've been able to figure out how to star a song is to right click, scroll down to save as...and click Starred. Although I don't really see the point in the Starred option now that they've gone and changed everything. Spotify is getting lame."

They haven't enabled offline mode for Your Music on desktop yet but it is coming. On mobile, it's available from Artist - will download all tracks for the particular artist and for Albums. I think the dev also said that we would be able to downlod from Songs soon. I know this is a bit rough around the edges but, hopefully, YM will replace playlists totally apart from mix playlists once they've rolled out these changes and enabled us to add local files to YM.

What I do is flip a coin. Heads = "star" and tails = "+". So far this makes the most sense to me.

You can Ctrl+a in your starred and just drag it to songs. I really hate this change though, looked much better before imo.

okay but what does the plus sign/checkmark mean now?

@carven - It adds content to Your Music collection rather than to the Starred Playlist. More details here:
https://support.spotify.com/problems/#!/article/how-do-i-add-albums-songs-and-artists-to-your-music

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts