Premium

Country

USA

Device

Lenovo computer

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I am a premium subscriber and have been for many years. I have been watching the Joe Rogan podcast on Spotify, and at the beginning of each podcast I have to skip through like 3 or 4  two or three minute ads. And they interrupt the podcast right after the intro as separate tracks, not part of the podcast. I guess it's nice I can skip them, but why am I getting ads at all? I am paying for premium to not have to listen to ads.

25 Replies

Hey @themza95

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

We'll be happy to explain a bit more about this. Spotify can’t play or include any advertisements that interrupt your listening experience while on Premium. However, some podcast creators may include third-party advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship messages in their episodes.

Spotify allows podcast hosts to choose if they'd like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast, but that isn't something Spotify can control, since it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions. 

This answer is bs. The ads are an actual interruption, they are not part of the entire podcast stream. They are not read by the host.

They are ad interruptions. Premium plan says no ad interruptions. Are you guys going to remove that as a feature?

You can't have both and just lie about it. Well I guess you can cause you do now, it's just unethical, also probably illegal to say no ad interruptions on your premium feature list but still have them and charge users.

Yea exactly. The Joe Rogan ads are not integrated into the podcast. I obviously wouldn't blame Spotify if that were the case, but they interrupt the main podcast track with a new series of ad tracks. They could be removed by Spotify.

Me too!!!

I don't even listen to Podcast and I have Premium as well as Still have Ads n unable to skip after so many!!!?? What the heck is Premium for?!?!

Hey @Mamasheka and @themza95,

Thanks for your feedback. We'll make sure it reaches the right team

As @Ivan posted, the ads you hear may not be read by the content creators, but it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to include third party advertisements. We appreciate your understanding on the matter.

@Reborn7474 did you meant that you hear ads also while listening to music. If you have a Premium subscription it could mean that your logged in another, free account. We recommend following the steps here to make sure that's not the case.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is not correct. The ads are not being added by the podcast creators. They do not show up on the mobile app, only the desktop PC application. The podcast creators are not being paid for the ads that are playing during their podcast. This needs to be addressed.

Hey @0w5lq4z3lxxzh0

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Keep in mind that some podcasts may include different forms of advertising and some of these might be dynamically inserted, hence why they might not appear on mobile sometimes. 

This is part of what we offer to podcast creators and it isn't something Spotify can control - it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, we're always a message away.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Nope. I disagree.
As a member of the production team for the podcast in question - we have not "selected" to play any ads. So there is indeed a problem.

Hey there @0w5lq4z3lxxzh0

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

In this case, we'd recommend reaching out to our Podcaster support team here so they can take a deeper look into this.

We'll be here if you have any questions. 

Have a good one.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I'm sorry this might come across as mean but can the moderators in this thread please reread this sentence..

"This is part of what we offer to podcast creators and it isn't something Spotify can control - it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content."

AND

"Spotify allows podcast hosts to choose if they'd like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast, but that isn't something Spotify can control"

Your posts make absolutely no sense in English. If it's something spotify allows then they control it by definition and can disallow it. Can you write it again in a way that actually makes sense?

Once again Spotify has proven that it doesn't care about their paying customers. This is a bs response. You say that "Spotify allows podcast hosts to choose if they'd like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast, but that isn't something Spotify can control,...". Umm...if Spotify allows the podcaster to do it then THEY DO HAVE CONTROL. They can either NOT ALLOW them to do it in the first place, or they can BLOCK THOSE ADS for premium subscribers. I have been a subscriber for years and was happy to hear about the Joe Rogan Experience coming to Spotify...then found all the ads inserted into the podcasts since I never listened to podcasts on Spotify previously. Guess what...I no longer listen to Joe Rogan's podcast on Spotify and just go to YouTube for the short clips that get posted there. The inclusion of ads in podcasts for premium subscribers is BS and should be stopped immediately.

Why are we paying for premium when still getting ad interruptions on JRE podcast?

I pay for no ads; quit giving us the runaround BS response about dynamic ads.

Joe Rogan has a contract with you.

Am I supposed to believe you gave him the right to include ads on top of paid memberships?

I didn't have ads on YouTube as a paying member, why the **bleep** are you different?

In the past I stuck with you, even though Spotify's sub par software has given me plenty of headaches, having to recompose playlists and redownload offline content repeatedly; but I was hoping you would grow as a company and make the experience desirable for subscribers... but I guess not.

Instead, you would rather throw frivolous corporate parties.

Spotify ranks right up there with Spectrum for the crappiest service on the planet.  I’m still considering finding a new streaming music/podcast service, because it is very obvious that Spotify does not care about their paying subscribers. 

Tonight I’ve come across interruptions (3 so far) where JRE stops and it cuts to a no video ad that runs (for Ladbrokes, gambling no less) and then another ad then reverts to the video and resizes my viewer. 

These aren’t ad reads, these are just randomly cut in to the podcast. 
I’ve been a premium subscriber for 10 years now, did this because I don’t want ads, we’re assaulted with adverts at every moment in life (new TVs serving up ads in menus now), who thought this was a good experience for the user!? You know the people who follow the podcasts and pay for subscriptions! 

Sadly, they don't care if their subscribers don't like the ads in podcasts.  Actually, they don't care about their subscribers at all, in any way what so ever.

dup post...

blatently pushing ads to premium users, despite the fact premiums usp is "no ads".

not only that, if you happen to close the application during an add you'll lose your place in the podcast. when you return you'll have to start the show from the beginning. as if they've built a petty inconvenience into the software if you dare not to listen.

I have only seen this happen on JRE podcasts, no others that I've listened to so far. used to get one at the start of the episodes but more recently you'll get two, three or even four ads pop up throughout.

poor form.

Suggested posts