Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't I share a song with a friend within Spotify?

Why can't I share a song with a friend within Spotify?

I do enjoy using Spotify except for one thing…

In the good old days, one would hear a song and tell a friend about it. That person liked it too and told someone else, who told someone else…

Now, you'd think a music streaming platform would be the perfect place to share songs from one user to another. Example… You discover a new Bon Iver song and you know just the person who'd like it. So you click on the 'share' button, find the fellow user's name and share the song.  Rather like we did in the good old days (and even today) when you'd tell a mate in the pub about a great song or you played it to him when he came round.  That's how music gets around.

So, I'm on Spotify and find said Bon Iver song and think, Sid would love this – I'll share it. So I go to the three little dots and click on share. And what do I see? A list of every social network in the world plus three link-based option and nothing about sharing directly within Spotify.

Why would I want to share a Spotify song with a friend on Facebook or Twitter who's going to have to open a different app to see the post and then click on it, only to be sent back to Spotify?

Am I missing something? Did I miss the email?

Surely there should be a way to share a song directly to a friend WITHIN Spotify. I can see my friends in the 'Friends Activity' column on the right so why on Earth can't I just click on a mate's name and he receives a link in Spotify? He plays it, he likes, he puts it into his playlist. And then tells one of his mates about the song.

We discussed this the other evening around the table and a mate came up with the most feasible explanation…  Spotify can easily do it but they don't want us plebs sharing songs between each other because THEY want to be the ones in charge. THEY want to tell us what to listen to. Trouble is, I don't trust some 'bot' or a bloke with bad taste teling me what I'd like. I want my best mate to, the one with great taste.

Well I'm sorry Spotify, but you're missing a trick. Please include some way to share songs with personal friends without having to post the song on Faceplant, Twatter, InstaSpam and Grumblr.

8 Replies

Spotify used to have this feature but, instead of expanding it, they took it away.  My guess is it was a business decision to push users to share outside their platform, increasing the odds of a new user... But they need to bring this back and even revamp it.  I'm an advocate for Spotify over any other platform and have referred PLENTY of people to Spotify.  The least they could do is invest in the social side of their product as, I'm sure, we would all use it to share great music.

As for the rest of what you said, I couldn't agree more.  Well said, sir.  Take care.

I thought I saw it once. Hopefully sanity will prevail and they'll put it back.

Enough people know about Spotify by now so no need to share within other apps.

Once they get sharing within the app right – it'll get my 100% thumbs up

You take care too!

Yeah! I’ve also been saying this for awhile and I think they’re really missing out. It would make Spotify so much more fun and social.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use the share feature like you wish to do at the moment.

If you think your suggestion will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

Once again - thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Spotify; "Blah, blah, blah blah.." Robot blather.

Jade

Spongebob: Two years later'-

As a Moderator; why not journal your representation upon the feed and then as I may feel it is a good idea; present it to your superiors & if that does not make the immediate initiative, make it your project until it sees' the light of day once again!

Best Wishes

`Administration-

I love your service too and this feature is sorely lacking. please add functionality!

Spotify Admin, moderator(s) & bots....why try to send us to other locations to share our want for this feature? You're reading it here within the Spotify Community. You have seen here and elsewhere that this is something that your users want and would use. You do not even offer a reason why such a useful feature would not be available. Whip out 10 keystrokes and make it happen!
BTW, do you have to tick the 'I'm not a robot' box to reply?

Suggested posts