Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why do songs disappear from queue after being played once?

Why do songs disappear from queue after being played once?

Why can't I press previous track and listen to something I added to a queue? 

Why can't I start a new playlist and override the existing queue like I could 5 years ago? The queue system behaves differently from any other music player I've used.

Is there a trick I don't know? 

12 Replies

Hey @taedium,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to clarify, it should be possible to listen to the songs which were part of your queue by clicking on or tapping the "previous" button in the playback bar. It should also be possible to start listening to a playlist in a way that your queue gets shaped according to the songs featured in it by clicking on or tapping the "play" button at the top of the playlist page. For more useful info regarding your listening queue and history, feel free to take a look at this support site article. 

Furthermore, it looks like it'd be great for you to read this support site article and follow the relevant steps listed in it to see if Spotify works properly as a result. 

If you'd like to share more regarding what you've experienced and elaborate more on your questions, don't hesitate to let us know.

Hope you'll find this useful. We'll be here if there's anything else we can help with.

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your response but this does not work. 

Here is the problem scenario:

I have a playlist playing, I then queue up a song not on the playlist, the song finishes and the next track begins. If I press previous track now, it will go back to the previous song on the playlist, ignoring the added song that just played. 

Hey @taedium,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and the clarification. 

Just to further clarify, would you mind letting us know the exact troubleshooting steps you already tried out of those featured in the article I linked? This will help us determine the nature of what you're experiencing in greater detail.

In the meantime, it'd be good to perform a clean reinstall and start with a brand-new as well as the latest version of the app. Take a look at this Spotify answer to find out how this procedure works for your device(s).

Let us know how you get on. We'll look out for your reply!

Mario Moderator

I have done all of them and reinstalled windows. It is like this on all my computers, it is the nature of the program and not a fault with my installation.

Once you queue up a song and it is played, it disappears from the playlist and you can't press previous track and play it. 

we're having the same problem. this is not an "issue" per se, but is a function of the app that we feel would be better off changed.

when i have a queue, i can't go to the previous track in the queue, once it's played it is then discarded from the queue. why would anyone want this? it happens on Windows and Android (can't check iOS and OSX but I assume it to be the same)

It is crazy that this is a design feature. I wish I could use an older client with more usability. 

I am two years late but I also hate this. I spend a whole bunch of time putting together a queue for the moment, listen to a few songs, and when I want to go back to a previous song it is no longer in the queue. The app reverts to the Playlist you are on, and discards your Queue.

Hey @NagelFred,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

The queue has the purpose of stacking up songs temporarily to listen. Due to this, those songs that were already queued and played will disappear in order to continue where you left in a playlist/album (before adding new content to the queue). 

Changing tunes, if you have any thoughts about how this can be implemented/changed, you can submit this as a new idea by following these steps in order to get this integrated in the future. 

Just make sure to familiarize yourself with the guidelines before sending it.

Remember the Community is here in case anything else comes up!

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Hi Mod, thank you for the response.

I realize that is how it works. The point is that it is unintuitive, and
contrary to every media player I have used up to date, including other
streaming services. Adding songs to the queue is specifically done to
create a temporary playlist, so I don't see why such playlist should be
destroyed once listened to.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will follow the steps as indicated.

Hey there @NagelFred,

Thanks for the post.

We appreciate your feedback and we've passed that on to the team working on making Spotify more user friendly 🙂

Cheers!

AlexModerator

Coming from ye olden days of Winamp, using other media players before Spotify and trying out some of the competition, I've never ever used the queue to create a playlist, temporary or not.

It was always used, by me and all of my friends really, to make temporary modifications to an existing playlist or play queue. Especially during parties it was a god-send to just have someone press "Q" to add something instead of messing up the whole curated playlist order. Spotify mirrors the same principle so I personally really enjoy it.

If I ever wanna see what I played, be it if I manually added it to the queue or not, I just go to the recently played history, which on desktop is conveniently in the same area as the queue.

JUST CHANGE IT

Suggested posts