Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is my spotify often so slow?

Solved!

Why is my spotify often so slow?

I open spotify, let it load for a bit and when I try to search for an artist, the whole program lags ridiculously. Won't let me search, and when it does search, loads them so slowly. Albums for the artist take several minutes to load and then they stream very poorly.

The internet is not the problem as every website works quickly and youtube loads very quick.

Why is my spotify so slow and laggy? I have the latest public version, Windows 8. Restarting it doesn't help the issue. I often have to wait it out a couple hours.

98 Replies

You know, doing this DID solve my lag issues, but it also seemed to solve the ultimate headache of shuffled playlists playing the same tracks over and over. Deleting these parts of the cache has led to all my playlists shuffling properly! Rejoice!

I'll be clearing my cache pretty regularly now.

what about for chromebooks

I know it sounds tedious, but restarting the app and/or your phone will most likely help Spotify run faster if it’s lagging. If you’ve tried that, you might want to log out of your account and log back in. If it’s to no avail, you should contact the Spotify team directly.

Worked thanks.

Right? I use the app on various versions of Android and on Windows 10 and it's so slow on all that it's pathetic. And all this BS of reinstalling the app, deleting the cache, or files in Windows directories, are all just band-aid solutions. Fix the probolem, Spotify!

Same problem. Used appcleaner to remove everything, reinstalled and it's still awful. Read about the whole consolidating playlists idea but that's a joke because I have to use playlists because I hit the 10k song limit years ago. It's a joke. One big ridiculous joke. 

Unbenannt.pngJo thanks man, this solved it for me!!!! Spotify is running nicely now.

Seriously. Deleting the cache helps for about 5 minutes, then you're in exactly the same spot as before. This software is so pathetically slow. I write this in February 2018 and the software is still virtually unusable. You need to "warm up" Spotify for 2 minutes before you can use it. What gives? this isn't a free service; we pay for this. Get it together!!! In 2018 we expect a music player to launch in 2 or 3 seconds. Any longer is unacceptable.

THANK YOU!

My Spotify was taking literally two minutes to open before I could search for a song. This solved my issue!

Yeah, problem solved....for another couple days or weeks. But it'll come back. The issues always come back. Then guess what the solution is? There could almost be a Do The Hokey Pokey Dance for Spotify. "Uninstall the app, reinstall the app, delete the cache and reboot your device, do the hokey pokey, sign out and then back in, that's what it's all about!" As soon as Youtube Red comes to Canada, I'm so gone.  

Turning off hardware acceleration turned a 2 minute wait into 2 seconds.

@daspankster71 just cured the bane of my music listening. Why didn't I try that sooner. oh em gee thank you!

Excellent it worked for me thank you

Turning off the local files worked for me too!  Thanks for the tip.  I would have never caught that.  

Is it too much to ask to have Spotify post this stuff in the Help section?  Spent way too much time **bleep** off about it.  C'mon.

Worked just great.. thank you! 

Also a long-time Spotify user, using the desktop app MacOS 10.12.6. 

I am completely fed up. Every day it seems I am deleting the app, deleting the cache, browsing these community help lists. People complain about a 2-minute load. Mine is a 20-minute load, at least. There is no other app, service or program I use that is so disfunctional. And we are paying for this. 

This is ridiculous customer support. I am looking for another option and will not recommend spotify to my friends. 

Worked for me ! 🙂

This is no fix.. Paying for years. Paying for **bleep** software.

The post that is highlighted as the solution to this problem is out of date. It worked for me only temporarily, and then the same problem would happen again. Now the folder that they say to go to delete files from does not exist in that same location (on PC) any longer, so it isn't even possible to delete the files any longer, and I am stuck with the same super slow app again. It is almost unusable on desktop, which is where I use it most. Can't believe we pay for this. So inexcusable.

The long standing bugs in the spotify apps are what drove me to bail as soon as YouTube Red (now called Premium) came to Canada. If not for the lack of attention to these problems by the developers, I would have stayed because overall Spotify is a superior product in most ways, compared to YT Music. But to get ad free YT, a huge music library including lots of videos, offline playlists, etc, is $2 more per month and worth it, for me. No more disappearing downloads, can't play current song errors, constant uninstall, reinstall, clearing cache, deleting folders, BS band aids. The fixes usually work, but not for long....

Suggested posts