Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎6/‎12/‎2020
OS build 19045.2788
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

My Question or Issue

Spotify Version Spotify for Windows
1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d

Listened to the desktop app fine this same day early in the morning no issues for 4 hours or so.

Opened the same desktop app this same evening and gets through about half a song and just crashes (stops playing and closes app). Nothing has changed, no Windows updates, etc. Checked firewall, OK.

Went through the troubleshooting steps listed in the help area, web player works fine, just can't play local files. Samsung Galaxy 22 Ultra plays fine, just can't play local files. the local files thing has been a problem that hasn't been solved, it's on and I have it pointed to the drive with my local files.

I uninstalled Spotify and went to the Microsoft Store as advised in help and redownloaded after a restart. Same issue. Crashing continues.

3 Replies

Hi there @MarkV68,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

It's a good idea to clear any entries containing Spotify from your hosts file. You can follow this Guide. These can often cause issues with the Desktop app and prevent it from starting.

Regarding the local files - local files upload might be blocked by your Firewall rule, since firewalls often block traffic through certain networking ports. You can try creating an exception for the Spotify app, or switch the firewall entirely to test if everthing works fine. We also recommend turning off any VPN you might be using.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I appreciate the quick reply. I hadn't thought of the Hosts file. Unfortunately, the Hosts file was clean. Just the #Commented notes. I guess that's fortunate. I looked at task manager to see what the resource load was when I open the Spotify Windows desktop app, CPU, Memory, and GPU load are very good. My Nvidia graphics card GX970, needed a driver update, so I did that. Still no change in apps behavior. It stays open for about 1.5 minutes then just shuts down.
I've run chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow as admin. There were some fixes on restart, but nothing that changed Spotify. I can play it on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra just fine. I've downloaded, installed and restarted after each uninstall of both the download from the Spotify website and the Microsoft store, no change, still crashing. No external devices have been added or taken away from system, no change to antivirus software. There was a Windows update, but I hadn't installed it while this was happening with Spotify. Since nothing has changed the crashing. I went ahead with the Windows update. Spotify still crashing.
I'm at a loss. Maybe something in the registry? Any suggestions with that or anything else?
Thanks
Mark V

Hi there @MarkV68

Thanks for the detailed description! No worries, there're also a few other things we can try. 

We suggest that you head to Settings > toggle on Show Local Files > toggle off all the sources that appear there > toggle off Show Local Files. Afterwards, make sure to restart your PC.

If the issue persists, we'd recommend turning Hardware Acceleration off in the app settings and then restart the app. 

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts