Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10, Spotify freezes PC randomly after Creators Update

Solved!

Windows 10, Spotify freezes PC randomly after Creators Update

After I updated to the latest version of Windows 10, namely the creators update, the spotify desktop app completely freezes my PC while playing music (seemigly at random). It makes weird static noises and then everything freezes and I have to hit the reset button. I tried the following:

• disabling Hardware acceleration
  • reinstalling the Spotify app
  • Reinstalling/updating the video-card ( AMD if that matters)
  • Reinstalling/updating the audio-driver

I tried checking the Event log, but except the messages for me restarting the computer, nothing shows up. For now I'm using the web player, but I'd rather use the app. Can anyone help?

BG

88 Replies

having the same problem ,,,  the spodify keeps freezing my pc after i open chrome sometimes  ,,  no idea why 

I just updated to the creators fall update and now when spotify launches and runs it hangs my PC.  I think the problem is related to using Chrome and spotify at the same time.  Spotify is loaded, not playing, I open Chrome, the at any random moment the computer progressively gets slower and within 4 or 5 seconds it becomes unresponsive to the point that you have to hard reboot.

Windows Fall Creators Update did not fix it for me.  Spotify App continues to hang my computer randomly.  I tried removing and reinstalling.  I tried clearing out whatever files it has in /appdata/ folders.  I tried a lot of things.  But Windows 10 still hangs randomly.  Normally it will play one song and then freeze.  The freeze happens slowly, first whatever app you are in randomly starts to get slower, then the mouse starts freezing, and eventually the whole desktop freezes.  Only a hard reboot clears it.  This has been an issue for months and the spotify team has not addressed it.  Shame on them.

Spotify desktop version runs smoothly, then now i am observing it, its been 8 hours of playing spotify with no freezing, does it working?

For me, no. It's still randomly crashing my laptop after moving to the app version rather than the programme. Is this something Spotify are aware of and are fixing? Or is it one of those things that they don't give a **bleep** about because it affects such a small percentage of their users?

RFor the record, I didn't type **bleep**, it was automatically done.

Maybe kids read this forum, who knows.

Same in here. My laptop freezes when I open Spotify. I have no idea about what do I have to do to solve this problem. Please Spotify's Team, we need your help.

I think i solved it. Worked for me:

1) uninstall every spotify you have (app, desktop version), do it from the proper place (Settings)

2) delete any folder called spotify in your disk

3) Clean the cache of Windows Store (run WSReset.exe from the "run" utility) and manually remove the cache with Disk Cleanup (every windows 10 has it).

4) Check if you have the last windows update.

5) Open Windows Store, search and install Spotify App (wait, don't log in yet. In fact, close Spotify)

6) Enter windows firewall (i don't know what to do with other firewalls) and add to exceptions every "Spotify" or "Spotify.exe" or "Spotify AB" you find, in public and private.

7) Try opening spotify and logging.

Sorry if i don't name the options correctly; it's because my SO is in Spanish, so i'm kind of translating from my head xD

Hope it works for you.

L.

Tried this solution and it seems to be working. I was surprised with how fast Spotify loaded my playlists and the activity feed!

Suggested posts