Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows App very large queue RAM and crashing

Solved!

Windows App very large queue RAM and crashing

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have a really large queue synced between my spotify apps at the moment. This usually isn't a problem on any device, but on the Windows app viewing the queue causes problems. If I don't look at the queue the app is fine and I can even add things to queue, though it's slow to do that.

If I look at the queue the app slows to a crawl and becomes almost unusable. I checked the task manager and it shows spotify using a lot of CPU and the RAM quickly increasing. Usually the RAM gets up to about 4.5 GB and then the app crashes. I want to select all in the queue and save that to a playlist so I can keep the music and clear the queue, hopefully solving the problem. But if I 'select all' then spotify just unselects the songs so I can't save them.

I've already tried turning off hardware acceleration and reinstalling the app but the problem still occurs. Does anyone know of anyway to save the songs and make the app work? It seems like the only options right now are to give up on the music and clear the queue or to just listen through the whole thing until the queue tab of the app is usable again.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks! 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. Sorry for the delayed reply, we just stumbled upon this thread.

Take into account that it's expected behavior for any software that needs to process large amounts of data that fall outside of standard operation will slow down and could indeed get to a point where the OS will block further operation to preserve resources and cause it to crash.

The queue's purpose is to slide in songs between a regular listening session without disrupting the initial playback choice, such as a playlist, an album, etc. Since there's no built-in limit on songs to add, usage way beyond intended purpose can cause issues. This isn't a flaw, rather, the queue of the app was never built with such extremes in mind. Even as such, the queue shouldn't have any issue processing a lot of songs, but we really don't recommend going beyond a hundred. In those cases it would be better to create a new playlist to listen to from directly.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, just let us know. 
EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Also happened to me on Ubuntu 20.04. Currently, using Windows 11 and it still lags. Can we get un update on this?

Marked as solution

Hey folks! 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. Sorry for the delayed reply, we just stumbled upon this thread.

Take into account that it's expected behavior for any software that needs to process large amounts of data that fall outside of standard operation will slow down and could indeed get to a point where the OS will block further operation to preserve resources and cause it to crash.

The queue's purpose is to slide in songs between a regular listening session without disrupting the initial playback choice, such as a playlist, an album, etc. Since there's no built-in limit on songs to add, usage way beyond intended purpose can cause issues. This isn't a flaw, rather, the queue of the app was never built with such extremes in mind. Even as such, the queue shouldn't have any issue processing a lot of songs, but we really don't recommend going beyond a hundred. In those cases it would be better to create a new playlist to listen to from directly.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, just let us know. 
EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts