Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Windows]Blank screens

Solved!

[Windows]Blank screens

Spotify update: We've posted a workaround to this issue here. Thanks for hanging in there - we're working on a permanent solution.

Hi there,

I'm a Premium user since 3 years and a half. The first couple of years I was super happy with the whole experience of sharing songs with friends and stuff, top notch, really. But since the last year and a half I have a REALLY ANNOYING problem in the computer version of Spotify that I've been trying to fix all the time with no success. I tried to find a solution for it, but nothing helped me, that's why I'm writing here finally, because today the problem got even worse with the new update that I just installed.

My initial problem/bug is that one day, with a new update, I wasn't able of sending/sharing songs anymore with my friends. I right-clicked on the song that I wanted to send/share, clicked on ''share'', and suddenly, instead of the classic tab where I used to write the message with the ''SEND'' button, I got a blank white tab. I was always using this very same method, but it stopped working for me for some reason with one of the updates. I couldn't write or send anything. I uninstalled the program and re-installed again several times but didn't work. I really enjoyed that part of spotify, but I eventually gave up.

Some months later, new spotify update, the problem got worse. Not just couldn't send or share songs anymore, now not even the sections ''Explore'' and ''Discover'' showed up. They were white, blank. Nothing will show up there. This is the first screen you see when Spotify opens, right? For me it's completely blank since long time ago. Sometimes it looks like it's charging, but nothing really.

But what happened today is completely wrong. With this new update, this new version of spotify, I'm not even able to look for new songs or new artists. Guess what happens, it's blank. I look for a song, click on the artist/band name and it doesn't load. I can even see the band page with their albums and songs...

Basically what I can only do now is just seeing my own playlists, and I'm afraid this will end in the moment you guys make a newer version of Spotify...

I'm using Windows 7 64bits. Please, I need some urgent help. I'm sure someone else has the same **bleep**ty problem. This is getting really awful!

I'm attaching some images so you guys can see it properly.

Thanks!

EDITED subject to make it clearer

Sin título-1.jpg
106 Replies

This worked out perfectly! By doing this you dont need to add those command lines on the shortcut.

Thanks a LOT!

Hi, 

I have spend one hour and tried all what is here described, but it doesn't help to solve problem with browse--->genres and moods---> I have blank page. Is it possible to solve? 

Screenshot 2014-09-10 04.50.51.png

@grem007 wrote:

Hi, 

I have spend one hour and tried all what is here described, but it doesn't help to solve problem with browse--->genres and moods---> I have blank page. Is it possible to solve? 

Screenshot 2014-09-10 04.50.51.png

Just to confirm - you've tried the hardware acceleration option above?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Is there another option? At first, the run command worked awesome! I was so excited. But a few short seconds later, my screen went black again... I've tried running as admin, I've tried compatibility mode, etc. Still seems to be a problem. 😞

YYEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you!  That did it.  Finally.  Thank you!

Hi, what's the fix for Macs?

My problem is the same. Clicking 'browse' induces the loading circle, but gives displays nothing. I can search individual songs, click that, and it will give me the album it appears in. If I search and click 'Show All Results...', I get a black screen, no loading circle. If I click an artist, I get a black screen.

I've disabled hardware acceleration, disabled proxies, restarted spotify, logged in and out.

I have not yet reinstalled, as it doesn't seem to solve the problem for others.

same problem here.. tried everything..

- run as admin

- run as normal user

- disable/enables hardware acc...

- command line parameters...

screen still keeps black ;-(((

don´t know why... don´t know how... i just started again... as admin... don´t know if it has something todo with that... but now everything is workiing again... maybe not a system issue, more a network... very strange....

and now... after hibernate... not working again.. black screen and loading to death.... what a mess.... ;(

Make sure you don't have the quotes "" in your paste.

You will need to do this everytime you re-start your computer.  My computer just did an automatic re-start last night for updates and I had to log off and paste the message again.

just enabled share activity with followers and re acitivated hardware acceleration and it works...........weird !

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue.
I cannot search for a new artist (page won't load) and can't use some of the pages listed below.

They all just constantly show the loading icon. 

Main:

Browse - Constant loading icon.

Activity - No problems here.

Radio- Constant loading icon.

Top Lists - No problems here.

Messages - No problems here.

Play Queue - No problems here.

Devices - No problems here.

App Finder - No problems here.

Your Music:

Songs - No problems here.

Albums - No problems here.

Artists - No problems here.

Local Files - No problems here.

All Playlists - No problems here. BUT no images load at the top (the current playing image shows).

Desperate Attempts at Resolving the Issue:

• My Spotify shortcut properties: 
    Target = C:\Users\Lewis\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background
  • Not in compatiable mode.
  • Restarted Spotify countless times.
  • Restarted computer twice (one restart came with update of graphic drivers).
  • Updated graphics drivers just a minute ago.
  • Ensured that "Enable Hardware Acceleration" was off.
  • Ensure Spotify could go through my firewall.
  • Tried using the RUN command: %APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

Still having these issues.

Please halp, missing discover mode. 

New Picture (44).png
Marked as solution

Go with the beta  bro 😄

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Welcome-to-the-Desktop-Beta/td-p/932803

while waiting the official release to be fixed

Hope I'm alright tagging that as a solution, it did work.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! 🙂 

New Windows 8.1 PC (Dell Inspiron 2350)

Fresh Spotify app download from the website (Spotify Premium user)

Spotify worked flawlessly upon initial install but after about a day of running I started to get the blank screen under Artists and Albums with no apparent solution from inside the software.  I have installed no conflicting software installed that I know of, unless BitDefender, Acrobat XI, or Office365 could cause conflict but that would seem very odd and it seems like such a conflict would present symptoms other than this.

Full Un/Re-Install did no good.

Found this workaround on this support site and it seems to work, so I replaced my shortcut's Spotify target with the workaround.

Has Spoitfy STILL not created a fix for this - since what appears to be an April 2014 workaround publish date?  Wow...  getting close to a year guys...

News?  Updates?  Fix?

Cheers,

C

It's actually fixed for me now. Since then I'm running the official release of the client (not the beta). I actually twitted my problem to spotify support account, and it got fixed. (I was thinking the fix was for everyone, it was perhaps just for me ? )

I'm really getting tired of how terrible the Spotify interface is, and how many problems seemingly occur hundreds of times, all with "work-arounds" that only work for some people.

I've followed all the steps in this and several other "help" threads, none of which have solved the problem.  I've disabled hardware acceleration, uninstalled and reinstalled, used the "%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background"  prompt as indicated, and nothing has worked. I'm still stuck with the attached screenshot.

Obviously this isn't a high priority since the problem has existed for years, but it'd still be nice if eventually they decided to address the issue.

Spotifyerror.jpg

Super! It worked like magic! Thank you!

Worked for me, thank you!

@Ferrindel wrote:

I'm really getting tired of how terrible the Spotify interface is, and how many problems seemingly occur hundreds of times, all with "work-arounds" that only work for some people.

I've followed all the steps in this and several other "help" threads, none of which have solved the problem.  I've disabled hardware acceleration, uninstalled and reinstalled, used the "%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background"  prompt as indicated, and nothing has worked. I'm still stuck with the attached screenshot.

Obviously this isn't a high priority since the problem has existed for years, but it'd still be nice if eventually they decided to address the issue.

Can you try giving our new desktop beta a try? Get it here

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Suggested posts