[Windows]Blank screens

Solved!

[Windows]Blank screens

Kakatronia
Regular

Spotify update: We've posted a workaround to this issue here. Thanks for hanging in there - we're working on a permanent solution.

Hi there,

I'm a Premium user since 3 years and a half. The first couple of years I was super happy with the whole experience of sharing songs with friends and stuff, top notch, really. But since the last year and a half I have a REALLY ANNOYING problem in the computer version of Spotify that I've been trying to fix all the time with no success. I tried to find a solution for it, but nothing helped me, that's why I'm writing here finally, because today the problem got even worse with the new update that I just installed.

My initial problem/bug is that one day, with a new update, I wasn't able of sending/sharing songs anymore with my friends. I right-clicked on the song that I wanted to send/share, clicked on ''share'', and suddenly, instead of the classic tab where I used to write the message with the ''SEND'' button, I got a blank white tab. I was always using this very same method, but it stopped working for me for some reason with one of the updates. I couldn't write or send anything. I uninstalled the program and re-installed again several times but didn't work. I really enjoyed that part of spotify, but I eventually gave up.

Some months later, new spotify update, the problem got worse. Not just couldn't send or share songs anymore, now not even the sections ''Explore'' and ''Discover'' showed up. They were white, blank. Nothing will show up there. This is the first screen you see when Spotify opens, right? For me it's completely blank since long time ago. Sometimes it looks like it's charging, but nothing really.

But what happened today is completely wrong. With this new update, this new version of spotify, I'm not even able to look for new songs or new artists. Guess what happens, it's blank. I look for a song, click on the artist/band name and it doesn't load. I can even see the band page with their albums and songs...

Basically what I can only do now is just seeing my own playlists, and I'm afraid this will end in the moment you guys make a newer version of Spotify...

I'm using Windows 7 64bits. Please, I need some urgent help. I'm sure someone else has the same **bleep**ty problem. This is getting really awful!

I'm attaching some images so you guys can see it properly.

Thanks!

EDITED subject to make it clearer

Sin título-1.jpg
12 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Hayath
Casual Listener

I solved my issues : spotify.exe and SpotifyLauncher.exe was in compatibility mode, so I disabled this option and now everything is back to normal ! 

View solution in original post

Solution!

Hayath
Casual Listener

Are you administrator of your session ? If not, try to log in with an administrator session. 

Solution!

Joe
Community Legend

If you are still having problems, try launching spotify from the Run command with 

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

Solution!

Joe
Community Legend

Yeah there is. Right click on the spotify shortcut you use to launch spotify (you may want to create a copy on your desktop instead) and go to properties. Go to the shortcut tab and add  --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background after the current contents of the Target box.

Solution!

Joe
Community Legend

You can do it.. First enable the option "Don't open automatically" in preferences then follow the steps here to put a copy of the shortcut you made in the startup folder.

Solution!

justinilla

Using the Run command to run "%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background" works like a charm. This seriously needs to be brought to the attention of Spotify developers, if they don't already know about it. The fact that even when the screen was blank I could still click and get songs to play told me that the content was there in some fashion but that I just wasn't seeing it. Thanks a bunch for this temporary work-around/solution. They need to look into this accelerated layers and fixed root background thing. It seems like the visual cool factor they are going for might be undermining functionality at this point, at least on some systems for whatever reason (the discover, browse, follow, and messages tabs worked fine on my work computer and Android phone).

Solution!

Rubenacke
Regular

This worked great for me! Running Windows 8.1 on a latop with dual graphic cards Intel/ATI.

"Using the Run command to run "%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background" works like a charm."

Thanks Justinilla!!

Solution!

Richard
Roadie

Hey everyone, thanks for continuing to report this issue. We're still looking into it - don't worry!

For the time being, we're grateful for the workaround that some of you have posted. Just for extra visibility, here it is again:

(Windows)

1. Close Spotify

2. Open Run (Start > Run, or just Picture of the Windows logo key+R).

3. Paste "%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background" (without the quotes into the box).

4. Press Enter.

Spotify should now open up with all the screens looking at they should.

We hope that helps. And hopefully we'll have a proper fix ready for you soon.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Solution!

Rubenacke
Regular

But of course!

I think the easiest way is to copy the current Spotify icon on your desktop and then edit the copied icon. I will now try to explain how to do this on a PC in a way so anyone can do it,

Click on your current desktop icon for Spotify so it is highlighted/selected (only single click, not double click).

To copy that icon press down the CTRL key with one finger and hold it down, then press the letter C with another finger, and then let both go.

To paste the new icon on the desktop press down the CTRL key with one finger and hold it down, then press the letter V with another finger, and then let both go.

You should now have two Spotify icons on your desktop, one with the word "copy" in it.

Select the new icon by clicking on it once so it is highlighted/selected and then right click on it once.

On the menu that appears choose "Properties".

On the tab called "Shortcut" go to the very end in the field called "Target:" so that the cursor is behind "spotify.exe". Do not remove anything on this line and it is very important that the cursor is at the very end. Easiest way to make sure that you are at the end is to simply click somewhere in that field and click on the END-key on the keyboard.

Now press space once on the keyboard and then paste the following (make sure you have copied it first):

--disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

When that is done you can click on "OK" and then doubleclick on your new Spotify icon and enjoy all the functions. 🙂

And remember to thank for the solution, not me!

Solution!

Joe
Community Legend
Solution!

macbig273
Regular
Solution!

rams78-ee

I think I'll unsubscribe from Premium and go back to Apple Music. I have never used a service with so many bugs. And I don't mean little glitches, I mean things that make it totally unusable. And the ones that are known for years and still not fixed. Spotify developers are a disgrace.

106 Replies

baffled
Casual Listener

None of the above has helped and I'm not to shabby with the computer stuff.  What do you suggest now for this spotify "premium" user?  Please fix.  Windows 7

Solution!

rams78-ee

I think I'll unsubscribe from Premium and go back to Apple Music. I have never used a service with so many bugs. And I don't mean little glitches, I mean things that make it totally unusable. And the ones that are known for years and still not fixed. Spotify developers are a disgrace.

jodpelius
Casual Listener

How to set --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background in the linux client?

bluespiked
Casual Listener

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue.
I cannot search for a new artist (page won't load) and can't use some of the pages listed below.

They all just constantly show the loading icon. 

Main:

Browse - Constant loading icon.

Activity - No problems here.

Radio- Constant loading icon.

Top Lists - No problems here.

Messages - No problems here.

Play Queue - No problems here.

Devices - No problems here.

App Finder - No problems here.

Your Music:

Songs - No problems here.

Albums - No problems here.

Artists - No problems here.

Local Files - No problems here.

All Playlists - No problems here. BUT no images load at the top (the current playing image shows).

Desperate Attempts at Resolving the Issue:

• My Spotify shortcut properties: 
    Target = C:\Users\Lewis\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background
  • Not in compatiable mode.
  • Restarted Spotify countless times.
  • Restarted computer twice (one restart came with update of graphic drivers).
  • Updated graphics drivers just a minute ago.
  • Ensured that "Enable Hardware Acceleration" was off.
  • Ensure Spotify could go through my firewall.
  • Tried using the RUN command: %APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

Still having these issues.

Please halp, missing discover mode. 

New Picture (44).png
Solution!

macbig273
Regular

bluespiked
Casual Listener

Hope I'm alright tagging that as a solution, it did work.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated! 🙂 

michabbb
Regular

same problem here.. tried everything..

- run as admin

- run as normal user

- disable/enables hardware acc...

- command line parameters...

screen still keeps black ;-(((

michabbb
Regular

don´t know why... don´t know how... i just started again... as admin... don´t know if it has something todo with that... but now everything is workiing again... maybe not a system issue, more a network... very strange....

michabbb
Regular

and now... after hibernate... not working again.. black screen and loading to death.... what a mess.... ;(

diogenes7000

Hi, what's the fix for Macs?

My problem is the same. Clicking 'browse' induces the loading circle, but gives displays nothing. I can search individual songs, click that, and it will give me the album it appears in. If I search and click 'Show All Results...', I get a black screen, no loading circle. If I click an artist, I get a black screen.

I've disabled hardware acceleration, disabled proxies, restarted spotify, logged in and out.

I have not yet reinstalled, as it doesn't seem to solve the problem for others.

newmane9577

Is there another option? At first, the run command worked awesome! I was so excited. But a few short seconds later, my screen went black again... I've tried running as admin, I've tried compatibility mode, etc. Still seems to be a problem. 😞

grem007

Hi, 

I have spend one hour and tried all what is here described, but it doesn't help to solve problem with browse--->genres and moods---> I have blank page. Is it possible to solve? 

Screenshot 2014-09-10 04.50.51.png

Richard
Roadie

@grem007 wrote:

Hi, 

I have spend one hour and tried all what is here described, but it doesn't help to solve problem with browse--->genres and moods---> I have blank page. Is it possible to solve? 

Screenshot 2014-09-10 04.50.51.png

Just to confirm - you've tried the hardware acceleration option above?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Popelady

Hi, So the workarround you've mentioned 

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background 

^ that one, is working fine, except the browse page loads up, then goes black. It doesn't happen with any other  tabs, and if I click off and back on it, it loads, then goes black before I can click on anything. 

Any ideas/ 

uffelpuff

solved this problem for spotify [windows]

OBS ADVANCED USERS ONLY! messing around in regedit can break your operating system if used incorrectly.

and then search through my computers registry for everything named spotify and delete it.

1. uninstall spotify.

2. "(Win button on yoyr keyboard) + R" to bring up run

3. type regedit and press Enter

4. search through the registry (Ctrl+F) for spotify and delete all tags it finds containing spotify keep searching untill you get a message that no keys where found.

5. reinstall spotify and woala working again.

I take no responsability for using my solution it can harm your operating software if wrong key is deleted.

gareth8
Roadie

I've run into this problem today. Had blank screens earlier on on profile, notifcations and browse. Then later on they came back. Now they've gone again (the fact that advertising has been added to my playlists today is, I'm sure, entirely coincidental).

Follow me

Joe
Community Legend

You may be seeing the issue discussed here @gareth8 ?

charniikyriacou
Regular

hi guys still getting hte same issues and i have done EVERYTHING that y=anyone on here has suggested

Joe
Community Legend

I'm sorry you're still having problems @charniikyriacou . Could you get in touch with the support guys here and they will help. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

charniikyriacou
Regular

hi guys i have a windows 7 laptop i have tried EVERY single method everyone has put on here. i dont know what to do. i cant search/browse or look at an artist help?

SUGGESTED POSTS