Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Windows]Blank screens

Solved!

[Windows]Blank screens

Spotify update: We've posted a workaround to this issue here. Thanks for hanging in there - we're working on a permanent solution.

Hi there,

I'm a Premium user since 3 years and a half. The first couple of years I was super happy with the whole experience of sharing songs with friends and stuff, top notch, really. But since the last year and a half I have a REALLY ANNOYING problem in the computer version of Spotify that I've been trying to fix all the time with no success. I tried to find a solution for it, but nothing helped me, that's why I'm writing here finally, because today the problem got even worse with the new update that I just installed.

My initial problem/bug is that one day, with a new update, I wasn't able of sending/sharing songs anymore with my friends. I right-clicked on the song that I wanted to send/share, clicked on ''share'', and suddenly, instead of the classic tab where I used to write the message with the ''SEND'' button, I got a blank white tab. I was always using this very same method, but it stopped working for me for some reason with one of the updates. I couldn't write or send anything. I uninstalled the program and re-installed again several times but didn't work. I really enjoyed that part of spotify, but I eventually gave up.

Some months later, new spotify update, the problem got worse. Not just couldn't send or share songs anymore, now not even the sections ''Explore'' and ''Discover'' showed up. They were white, blank. Nothing will show up there. This is the first screen you see when Spotify opens, right? For me it's completely blank since long time ago. Sometimes it looks like it's charging, but nothing really.

But what happened today is completely wrong. With this new update, this new version of spotify, I'm not even able to look for new songs or new artists. Guess what happens, it's blank. I look for a song, click on the artist/band name and it doesn't load. I can even see the band page with their albums and songs...

Basically what I can only do now is just seeing my own playlists, and I'm afraid this will end in the moment you guys make a newer version of Spotify...

I'm using Windows 7 64bits. Please, I need some urgent help. I'm sure someone else has the same **bleep**ty problem. This is getting really awful!

I'm attaching some images so you guys can see it properly.

Thanks!

EDITED subject to make it clearer

Sin título-1.jpg
106 Replies

I reinstalled and then used the fix you used with the run prompt.it  worked now!!!

thank you so much!!

Thanks man! This solved my problems! 🙂

@user-removed wrote:

I solved my issues : spotify.exe and SpotifyLauncher.exe was in compatibility mode, so I disabled this option and now everything is back to normal ! 

Thanks for your help, but still doesn't work!

sorry, can't think of any other idea, except to try the other recommendations - c 

Marked as solution

This worked great for me! Running Windows 8.1 on a latop with dual graphic cards Intel/ATI.

"Using the Run command to run "%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background" works like a charm."

Thanks Justinilla!!

Marked as solution

Hey everyone, thanks for continuing to report this issue. We're still looking into it - don't worry!

For the time being, we're grateful for the workaround that some of you have posted. Just for extra visibility, here it is again:

(Windows)

1. Close Spotify

2. Open Run (Start > Run, or just Picture of the Windows logo key+R).

3. Paste "%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background" (without the quotes into the box).

4. Press Enter.

Spotify should now open up with all the screens looking at they should.

We hope that helps. And hopefully we'll have a proper fix ready for you soon.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

If you can please tell the product manger(s) that "works reliably" is better than "looks cool" or "[insert latest buzzword here]"...

Hey Guys,

Did you update something?

The app is working perfectly now (I'm not using any work-arounds and had no driver update/compatibility change on my side).

Cheers

Thanks for this, I've been struggling with the blank screen issue for weeks and tried everything I could think of. This brilliant solution worked immediately and has made my day.

Hey,

since the last update I have the same problem as you can see in the screenshot.

If I paste the mentioned command without "" the run command bar tells me, that either it's spelled wrong or it coudn't be found.

😞

I don't know what to do else. I already deinstalled and reinstalled it several times. I updated Adobe, as well.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks in advance!

Spotify_Blank.png

It worked for me; copying and pasteing the whole command. The only extra things I did were to free up as much extra memory as I could and temporarily disable my firewall. I hope this temporary solution is addressed in the next update because its the most damened annoying thing thats ever happened on Spotify.

The solution to use the command prompt below worked for me just now, but I am sorely disappointed that I have to jump through this hoop to listen to my music. I sincerely hope that there is a fix for this upcoming very soon. 

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

However, I appreciate being able to have it back, and I trust that it will be fixed soon.

Thanks for the assistance. 

Well, you can create a new shortcut containing that command or edit the current Spotify shortcut. Open a command prompt and paste that line every time you want to start Spotify sounds unnecessary.

Im sorry, not too familiar with how to go about doing this. Can you expand on it please? I have windows.

you my friend made my day and prob my whole year with fixing this problem thanks man

Marked as solution

But of course!

I think the easiest way is to copy the current Spotify icon on your desktop and then edit the copied icon. I will now try to explain how to do this on a PC in a way so anyone can do it,

Click on your current desktop icon for Spotify so it is highlighted/selected (only single click, not double click).

To copy that icon press down the CTRL key with one finger and hold it down, then press the letter C with another finger, and then let both go.

To paste the new icon on the desktop press down the CTRL key with one finger and hold it down, then press the letter V with another finger, and then let both go.

You should now have two Spotify icons on your desktop, one with the word "copy" in it.

Select the new icon by clicking on it once so it is highlighted/selected and then right click on it once.

On the menu that appears choose "Properties".

On the tab called "Shortcut" go to the very end in the field called "Target:" so that the cursor is behind "spotify.exe". Do not remove anything on this line and it is very important that the cursor is at the very end. Easiest way to make sure that you are at the end is to simply click somewhere in that field and click on the END-key on the keyboard.

Now press space once on the keyboard and then paste the following (make sure you have copied it first):

--disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

When that is done you can click on "OK" and then doubleclick on your new Spotify icon and enjoy all the functions. 🙂

And remember to thank for the solution, not me!

thanks a lot! I had this problem for a very long time and now it's fixed! thanks 

now  I can enjoy the whole spotify expreriance again like it should ! 

hi guys i have a windows 7 laptop i have tried EVERY single method everyone has put on here. i dont know what to do. i cant search/browse or look at an artist help?

You tried exiting spotify and launching it as explained in this post

yes. literally did everything 

Suggested posts