Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Windows]Blank screens

Solved!

[Windows]Blank screens

Spotify update: We've posted a workaround to this issue here. Thanks for hanging in there - we're working on a permanent solution.

Hi there,

I'm a Premium user since 3 years and a half. The first couple of years I was super happy with the whole experience of sharing songs with friends and stuff, top notch, really. But since the last year and a half I have a REALLY ANNOYING problem in the computer version of Spotify that I've been trying to fix all the time with no success. I tried to find a solution for it, but nothing helped me, that's why I'm writing here finally, because today the problem got even worse with the new update that I just installed.

My initial problem/bug is that one day, with a new update, I wasn't able of sending/sharing songs anymore with my friends. I right-clicked on the song that I wanted to send/share, clicked on ''share'', and suddenly, instead of the classic tab where I used to write the message with the ''SEND'' button, I got a blank white tab. I was always using this very same method, but it stopped working for me for some reason with one of the updates. I couldn't write or send anything. I uninstalled the program and re-installed again several times but didn't work. I really enjoyed that part of spotify, but I eventually gave up.

Some months later, new spotify update, the problem got worse. Not just couldn't send or share songs anymore, now not even the sections ''Explore'' and ''Discover'' showed up. They were white, blank. Nothing will show up there. This is the first screen you see when Spotify opens, right? For me it's completely blank since long time ago. Sometimes it looks like it's charging, but nothing really.

But what happened today is completely wrong. With this new update, this new version of spotify, I'm not even able to look for new songs or new artists. Guess what happens, it's blank. I look for a song, click on the artist/band name and it doesn't load. I can even see the band page with their albums and songs...

Basically what I can only do now is just seeing my own playlists, and I'm afraid this will end in the moment you guys make a newer version of Spotify...

I'm using Windows 7 64bits. Please, I need some urgent help. I'm sure someone else has the same **bleep**ty problem. This is getting really awful!

I'm attaching some images so you guys can see it properly.

Thanks!

EDITED subject to make it clearer

Sin título-1.jpg
106 Replies

Are you behind a proxy or VPN by any chance? Have you tried temporarily disabling all firewalls, antivirus and other software? Sorry if these are mentioned in the thread already 🙂

ive checked all firewall and antivirus and it all allows spotify completely

please someone help me? nothing seems to be working. it works on everything except my laptop.

Did you try the launch steps here?
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-quits-by-itself-every-time-I-open...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

yes i did 

Not working for me too... 

I'm on a windows 7 enterprise, connecting to the internet through a HTTPS vpn proxy.

Don't know if it changes something about the hack. But it simply don't work here..

Marked as solution

@ipinotti try the steps in this post.

Thanks 

browse is still a white screen but the others have come back on  i will now check to dee if it works on fb

I've run into this problem today. Had blank screens earlier on on profile, notifcations and browse. Then later on they came back. Now they've gone again (the fact that advertising has been added to my playlists today is, I'm sure, entirely coincidental).

Follow me

You may be seeing the issue discussed here @gareth8 ?

hi guys still getting hte same issues and i have done EVERYTHING that y=anyone on here has suggested

I'm sorry you're still having problems @charniikyriacou . Could you get in touch with the support guys here and they will help. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

Putting that code in made it work perfectly! THANK YOU!!!

thank you, richard! this fixed it.

solved this problem for spotify [windows]

OBS ADVANCED USERS ONLY! messing around in regedit can break your operating system if used incorrectly.

and then search through my computers registry for everything named spotify and delete it.

1. uninstall spotify.

2. "(Win button on yoyr keyboard) + R" to bring up run

3. type regedit and press Enter

4. search through the registry (Ctrl+F) for spotify and delete all tags it finds containing spotify keep searching untill you get a message that no keys where found.

5. reinstall spotify and woala working again.

I take no responsability for using my solution it can harm your operating software if wrong key is deleted.

Hi, So the workarround you've mentioned 

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background 

^ that one, is working fine, except the browse page loads up, then goes black. It doesn't happen with any other  tabs, and if I click off and back on it, it loads, then goes black before I can click on anything. 

Any ideas/ 

Thanks, this worked, *however*, this problem has been around since 2013. WTF? *Fix it* Spotify. Don't have your users hack away a fix for you.

Like, when you create short-cuts onto peoples desktops, put the above line into the "Target" field. I dunno, how about just updating the app to work with windows w/out having to disable anything (Or disable during program start-up)....So many other apps do.

I just ran into this problem, yet again, this morning.

This is beyond annoying. Makes me very pleased indeed I hadn't bought premium yet. Don't think I will be wanting to, with this apparent lack of effort being put into bugfixing.

This should now be fixed if you disable both "Enable Hardware Acceleration" options in the Edit > Preferences menu?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts