Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

installation of version 0.9.12 crashes

Solved!

installation of version 0.9.12 crashes

Hi everybody,

This morning my spotify desktop player asked to be restarted to apply the update 0.9.12. The PC froze and had to hard-reset it. Also after the restart, Spotify could not apply the update, so I've unistalled it, but now, I cannot install it anymore!!!! The installation software crashes. Attached the Microsoft reports, if it helps....

I'm trunning on Windows XP latest Sp, CPU AMD 2100XP+, etc etc.

Hope anyone can help.... thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have the same problem with my computer, which has an old AMD CPU (like yours) without SSE2 support. It appears (though I can't be 100% certain) that the installer for version 0.9.12.10 requires a CPU with SSE2 support. You should be able to install the previous version (0.9.11.27), which can be downloaded from FileHippo and other places. Be sure to download the full installer (~34MB) and not the small Web installer, as the Web installer will download and attempt to install the latest version.

Because there is no way (that I know of) to disable automatic updates, Spotify will attempt to update itself every time you start it. You'll get a little crash notification when the updater crashes; just cancel it and the un-updated Spotify will start and you'll be good to go. I don't know how long the previous version will continue to work with the Spotify servers, but it's still working fine for me.

More and more applications and installers are requiring a CPU with SSE2 support, so you'll likely run into this problem with other applications in the future. (I have about a half dozen other applications that I can no longer update due to SSE2 requirements.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I think with update 0.9.12 Spotify removed support for Windows XP, as it is now obsolete. Nobody should be using it anymore.

Sorry, used the wrong Spotify Community account, but still, I think they removed support for Windows XP with update 0.9.12.

Marked as solution

I have the same problem with my computer, which has an old AMD CPU (like yours) without SSE2 support. It appears (though I can't be 100% certain) that the installer for version 0.9.12.10 requires a CPU with SSE2 support. You should be able to install the previous version (0.9.11.27), which can be downloaded from FileHippo and other places. Be sure to download the full installer (~34MB) and not the small Web installer, as the Web installer will download and attempt to install the latest version.

Because there is no way (that I know of) to disable automatic updates, Spotify will attempt to update itself every time you start it. You'll get a little crash notification when the updater crashes; just cancel it and the un-updated Spotify will start and you'll be good to go. I don't know how long the previous version will continue to work with the Spotify servers, but it's still working fine for me.

More and more applications and installers are requiring a CPU with SSE2 support, so you'll likely run into this problem with other applications in the future. (I have about a half dozen other applications that I can no longer update due to SSE2 requirements.)

If you do a search of the boards there is a workaround to stop the auto updater so one can use an older app and prevent the auto update.

I found the workaround ... I'm applying it ... and it works. Thanks.

Suggested posts