Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

local files artist and album fields are greyed out and will not sync with iphone if in a playlist

Solved!

local files artist and album fields are greyed out and will not sync with iphone if in a playlist

when I add some local files the artist name and album name are greyed out.  They are not protected files (I checked DRM).  They play on the PC from local files or a playlist, but when I add them to a playlist and make them available offline, they do not sync with my iphone playlists.  They appear in the playlist, but will not play, an error appears when I try to play them that explains how to sync them (which does not work).  What's really strange is that some songs from the same artist and album are not greyed out and those do sync on the iphone.  What's up with this? Attached is a picture of local files, showing some files not greyed out, others are greyed out.

spotifyplaylist.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had the same problem up until recently and it was happening because Spotify desktop App was blocked by my Firewall settings on Windows. Local Files synced after that

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Had the same problem and managed to solve it but I am not sure which one action solved it.

Spotify on Windows 10 fixed network connection (Not WiFi). Also on Android client.

On PC:

A few tracks in Local Files greyed out (blacked out rather!). All tracks from owned CD and ripped the same way so there shouldn't be anything special about the tracks themselves.

Greyed out tracks played fine on PC (and Album art was shown as well)

On Android:

Greyed out tracks did not download on android and didn't play.

Notification from synchronization says "waiting for download", Doesn't go away.

On PC:

Noticed that I had three spotify.exe entries in the Windows firewall. (there should only be one)

Played around with the settins (the check marks for allowing access) but nothing I did made any change.

Uninstalled Spotify.

Entries in firewall was still there, deleted them all.

Downloaded newest version (1.0.28.87.g8f9312a4) of spotify and installed it.

Answered firewall pop-up question and allowed access for spotify on private networks.

Still on PC:

Local files look good again.

On Android:

Good here too. The notification "waiting for download" dissaperaed and download now went form 99% to 100% and everything works.

Not sure if it was the reinstall or the firewall deletions that did the trick but at least this is something that can be tried.

View solution in original post

41 Replies

The grey means that track wasn't linked to the corresponding track (if it exists) in the Spotify catalogue.

You need to sync those local files over to your mobile devices by connecting to the same WiFi network then marking the playlist as available offline and it should sync them from your desktop.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem.

Difference is they were all linked previously. I'd wiped my library as I couldnt save any more albums. but now when I go to my local files they are all greyed out. And they're not obscure...

Any ideas?

edit- I should also add I'm looking at add them as albums (like they were before) not as playlists to sync

Capture.PNG

Hi there!

I also have the same problem. I can't listen to my local tracks on mobile. The tracks have this little green mark next to the title so the tracks are synced for offline but the titles  are still greyed though. I can't listen to them on mobile but on my PC they seem to work just fine. I have tried deleting the tracks and also added them back thought my PC were they are being stored in iTunes in mp3. I also created new playlists for the tracks when I added them back. Still didn't work. I hope someone comes up with a solution because this is very frustrating.

Is there a solution for this yet? I am having the same exact problem. The song will play just fine from my computer, but will not sync over to my phone. The songs were free downloads from the artist from Soundcloud as he didn't put them on Spotify. It is very frusturating to not be able to play my music that I should be able to. It displays on both my iPhone and computer just like below. The difference is it plays on my computer and not my phone. I get an error telling me how to sync it to my phone which doesn't work. Whats going on?

Spotify.png

I also posted the same problem, still no answer

My own personal tracks are not syncing from my computer to my cell. I am putting it on offline mode. Paying for premium not getting premium service.

It is extremely frustrating how messed up Spotify's local file integration is.  I'm tired of trying to figure out workarounds and loopholes to do what I want just because it fails to do what it claims to be able to do.  It would be nice to know whether or not they're at least looking into a solution for this, since clearly multiple people have been having issues with it for the past several months.

Spotify is so buggy now is is almost unusable. You can no longer drag and drop files from windows folders into a playlist, when you import it via the local files section, half of them are greyed out, and nothing is syncing properly to the iphone... this app is a frustrating piece of crap.

You can no longer drag and drop files from windows folders into a playlist.

This ^

Same problem here. I 've got a playlist with local files and only the linked ones which are in the Spotify catalogue get synced with my Android phone. Every other track is 'not available' and doesn't sync.

Everything was working fine until this wonderful update with numerous bugs was released. And I'd really love to have a word or two with the person who had this great idea to remove the drag and drop-feature.

Is there any word of a fix for this problem?  It is ridiculous that this problem has not been addressed yet.

I'm having exactly the same issue. I've tried what others have tried as well - deleting and reinstalling the app (then subsequently re-downloading the tracks for offline use), pulling them back into Spotify on my computer, etc. Same issue no matter what I do. Very frustrating to pay for premium when a good portion of my tracks are now unplayable on my phone, which is where I listen to the majority of my music. 

has there been a fix for this?

No matter how many times I delete the program, delete the apps, and resync the playlist, only the spotify tracks sync.  The local songs on my computer show up on my playlist on the iphone but they're greyed out, won't play, and always give me this message when I try to play them.  My devices are on the same wifi but nothing happens for these tracks.

IMG_0641.PNG

I don't understand how Spotify can advertise this feature but it does not seem to work for anyone.  Help!

Hey, all. I reached out to Spotify customer support and they said that the issue occurred because I had more than 5 devices set up with offline syncing. They removed all 5 devices on their end and I started from scratch. It seems to have resolved the issue.

I understand the feeling it's so annoying. I don't even why is avalible the option of local files when I can hear the files on my computer but on my iPhone appears like greyed out **bleep** YOU SPOTIFY. I **bleep**ING PAYING YOU AND YOU CAN'T FIX IT

medium.png

FIX IT SPOTIFY WE'RE PAYING YOU IT'S NO FAR 

medium.png

After months and months of putting off streaming I finally subscribed to Apple Music only for it to completely mess up my local library. I disabled the service and switched to Spotify after recommendations from friends who assured me I wouldn't have the same issues. Now I'm a Spotify premium user whose local files are greyed out and both song titles and artwork are wrong for so many tracks. Why isn't there a music service which can simply respect a user's library and mirror it exactly as it is on our devices?

Incredibly disappointed and frustrated.

Marked as solution

I had the same problem up until recently and it was happening because Spotify desktop App was blocked by my Firewall settings on Windows. Local Files synced after that

Suggested posts