Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

local files dont sync new songs but recognize deleted files. Also local files playlist is gone now

local files dont sync new songs but recognize deleted files. Also local files playlist is gone now

premium, US, windows 10 (installed AGAIN today), android (samsung galaxy s9)

My Question or Issue

I'm adding a labeled screenshot that shows exactly how this looks. Every time I add a new mp3 (they're all mp3's) to the folder linked to my local files, spotify desktop wont update. Things i have tried:

-made sure they're mp3s

-renamed files so there were no special characters (other songs i added last year with special characters in their names still work)

-deleted local files bnk

-clean spotify reinstall

-changed and renamed local files folder and directory. re-added in settings. Songs that were deleted still there, new songs not showing up at all

-songs from proper sources (downloaded from soundcloud, mp3s i made) don't work. less properly sourced songs do. No songs added after the latest update (november 2020?) are synced to spotify local files

-deleted local files playlist. turned on Show Local Files. Oh it's still gone. 

-ANOTHER clean reinstall, turned on Show Local Files, added new folder source. OKAY I GUESS I JUST DONT GET ANY LOCAL FILES NOW. why is it even an option to delete the local files playlist?!

just...why is this so hard? file indexing isn't exactly rocket science. Do i really have to go into the guts of my computer and do a clean reinstall Every Single Time i make a song and want to add it to my library? The local files feature is the main reason i use spotify at all and in the last idk 6 months or so i've had to fight it tooth and nail to sync ANYthing

i pay for this program and it cant even file index.png
7 Replies

Hey @NeekoScraps,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with importing your local files and appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far. You mention that you deleted the local files playlist - when you create a new one, new entries still fail to synch, is that correct? Also are the songs unplayable only on your phone or on both devices?

If you could let us know the approximate number of tracks you're trying to import, that would also help us get to the bottom of this quicker.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

there are 114 mp3's in the folder i'm trying to sync to spotify. Before i deleted the local files playlist the songs that would play on my PC would grey out at random on my phone, even ones that had previously been able to play on my phone. Most if not all of the songs I added to the PC folder after ~september 2020 wouldn't sync to spotify at all (despite being mp3 files with no special characters in the title and all from proper sources).

In troubleshooting this I've created another bigger problem which is that the Local Files playlist in spotify is completely gone, full stop. I have tried reinstalling, deleting bnk file, logging out and back in, each time turning off and then on the Show Local Files setting. I have no idea how to get it back at this point

Hi there @NeekoScraps

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We'd recommend making sure that both devices have enough storage space available and that they're connected to the same WiFi network. 

You can also try adding your Local Files again and performing a clean reinstall of the app in your phone to see if it makes any difference. 

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

It doesn't. Reinstalled on both pc and phone and the local files playlist is still gone on both BUT for some reason when I play the greyed-out local files songs that i added to other playlists on my phone, but tell it to play on my pc, it can still play on my pc (not on my phone). So the (old) local files are being saved SOMEwhere in this program, but the Local Files playlist is still gone on my PC, and because it's gone I am unable to add any songs to it. For good measure i deleted the bnk file on this clean reinstall and restarted my computer and that playlist still wont show up no matter how many times i click the Show Local Files setting.

Do I have to completely remake a new account or should i just use like tidal or something? This shouldn't be that hard for a program i literally pay for

Hi there @NeekoScraps,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you try logging in with a different account and check whether you can see the Local files folder in the app?

You can also try to connect to another network, like a mobile hotspot and reupload your local files. Some routers block or don't support networking protocols necessary for the upload of those songs and this is the way to test this.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Made a side account just now on spotify for windows and the local files playlist showed up immediately. logged back into the main account and it still doesnt show up. connected to mobile hotspot, still doesnt show up.
There shouldn't be an option to delete the local files playlist at all if it's going to break the entire feature. I feel like I need to somehow go into the guts of spotify's roaming data on my pc and delete or somehow edit different things bc this local files playlist just isnt showing up when it should. is there ANYthing else i can do??

Hey there @NeekoScraps

Thanks for the information you sent.

In this case, we suggest that you delete all Spotify files from your PC and reinstall the app while in Safe mode

If this doesn't do the trick, we recommend creating a new account. 

Once you created a new account, we recommend checking if everything works well on it first. If so, you can find here the steps to know how to transfer the content from your current account to the new one.

Also, make sure to delete all the local files from the playlists in your current account before transferring the content over to the new one.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts